• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

when to hit certain Wedges?

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
I just recently bought a 60 deg wedge along with a 56 deg wedge. I was currently chipping and pitching with a 50 deg approach wedge and decided to get more loft. I just had a question on when and where you use the different wedges. I know my 60 deg has more bounce and can be hit over harder surfaces but my 56 deg is my new SW and has less bounce and is made for the thick rough and the sand. When I try and hit the 56 deg on a stiff fairway I seem to really chunk it and dig into the dirt. But then when i put out my 60 deg I seem to get too much underneath or I skull it. Any suggestions on when to play a particular wedge?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I bet your 60 does NOT have more bounce than your 56.

I really recommend you read "The Art of the Short Game'' by Stan Utley. It's a quick, easy read that will explain not only a great swing method for wedges, but how they work and when to use what.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Actually, you want the most bounce in the sand, unless it is packed down like concrete.

I select my wedge due to the distance of the shot. 100 yards or more, the 52º, 70-100, the 56º, anything shorter than 70, I usually use my 60º. Take them to the range, see how far a full shot with each goes, then 3/4's, half, ect...... Wedges are all about feel so it takes some time and practice.

OP
A

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
I bet your 60 does NOT have more bounce than your 56.

I really recommend you read "The Art of the Short Game'' by Stan Utley. It's a quick, easy read that will explain not only a great swing method for wedges, but how they work and when to use what.

Your right I have those backwards the 60 degree has less bounce then the 56 deg.

OP
A

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks for the posts. I have been hitting about 300 balls a night at the practice green they have a chipping area with a bunch of balls you can round up and put all on one side and hit them all back on and keep rounding them up when you go through them all its easy to hit a lot and I have a pretty good feel now I just have to stick with it. Sometimes I second guess my club because I havent taken these out on the course much and before I just always used my Approach cause I had nothing else. Now I have a choice and if I miss hit I start second guessing the club on the next hole and the next hole.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
There are two schools of thought on what to do with several wedges. I would recommend a system similar to dave pelz to begin with. Hit several balls with each wedge with a full swing and see how far they go. Then repeat the process with a three quarter swing and then again with a half swing. This should give you six different yardages. It is a simple way of doing it. Then once you get a bit more comfortable with the wedges you can start using the wedges from different distances to achieve different ball flights. But for just starting to have several different wedges I would recommend that you first and foremost get a feel for how far you hit each wedge.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Good topic. I use 3 wedges: a 49 degree PW, 52 degree GW and 56 degree SW. I feel this combination provides me with a high degree of flexibility for any ground surface, wind conditions, trap distances and hybrid shots from 110 to 15 yards out. I do not worry to much about bounce, more about distance and feel relative to the shot I need to make.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I whole heartedly agree with the common theme in the responses, spend time with your wedges and how they respond to different swings and lies.

I practice my short game regularly, from greenside bunkers and thick rough to 50 yard approach shots. I always hit balls with each of my wedges (48/54/58) so that I know how each responds and what type of flight I can expect. Out on the course I let how I'm feeling/swinging that particular day as well as the lie/required shot dictate what I grab out of my bag. The key is practice so that you can confidently grab the club and put a positive swing on the ball; deceleration is the archnemisis of the short game.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I carry a 50* (my PW, which is a 52 bent to 50) a 56* which I use almost exclusively, and a 60* which I almost never use except when forced to.

My 56 will spin the ball from any lie and will hold from any distance inside 130 yards. My idea about wedges is that it's hard to master 3 clubs from the same distance, so why not master 1 club from every distance?

I also think that the 60* wedge is the hardest club in the bag to master next to the putter for a recreational golfer.

R35

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I used to have a 60* in the bag but recently took it out as I was having way too much difficulty hit it. Currently, only have 2 wedges in the bag, 52* and 58*. I use the 58* was sand shots and high pitch shots. I use the 52* for greenside chipping.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It took me a while to figure out how to use my 60*. I don't hit it on much more than a half yardage shot, meaning 40-50yds.. I have the mindset that less loft is usually better whenever possible. I've been getting comfortable with the 60* and use it more and more. Basically if I have a pitch shot or chip that I need to stop quicker, I go with the 60*. It's been a real help when I get short sided or to an elevated green with the pin close out of the rough.

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I try to leave my 60 in the bag whenever I can. With the 56 DSG, I can usually open the face up enough to perform all shots that I would ever need my 60 for. It's just better for me to not be tempted to pull the 60 when I don't need it.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
as far as wedges go, the different lofts are for distance and spin control/trajectory. The condition in which you are playing are determined by the bounce/grind.

general rule of thumb;
soft sand and wet fairways: use higher bounce
harder sand and hard fairways: use lower bounce

if you're a digger, like myself, then you'll benefit more from higher bounced wedges to help the leading edge to "bounce" off of the ground, instead of getting sucked in into the ground. my wedges have little less than standard bounce, but it was little difficult to execute some delicate shots b/c of too much bounce. this is where different grind comes in handy.

when i open my wedges, i have about the same bounce. so i can square up the club face w/ very little bounce so that i can "clip" the ball, but still be able to slide on bunkers or in green side roughs. my setup allows me to play little more aggressively around the green.

i have 54* w/ c-grind and 60* w/ m-grind (more heel and toe relief than c-grind). i can use both w/in 100yds, just depends on how hot i want to get the ball on the green.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I carry a 46* 9i then a 52*, 56*, 60*, and 64*. The answer to the question for me is real simple and applies more the more lofted the club you get.

Do not hit any wedge shot that you have not practiced before or do not have complete confidence in as you stand over the ball. If this does not apply, then simply go for the easiest shot with the least chance of disaster. Ultimately the one the has the best chance for clean contact for the desired shot

To me having so many selections just gives me more options for which I have complete confidence.

Today I only hit what I would consider only one bad shot within 100 yards. Although the bad shot was from 30 yard and I followed it by sinking the next one with a different club from 20 yards for par. I had complete confidence in both shots.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
BTW (no intention to High-Jack the thread), does anyone here have a 54º and 58º low bounce wedge for sale? Im looking for something in the Vokey or CG class...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.