• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When was the last time...

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
...you picked up a club in a store that you really didn't want, only to end up leaving with it?

I'm sure most of us Golf Nuts on here have had a simlar experiance. You pick a club up expecting to hate it but just out of curiousity you give it a waggle, which then turns into a shot and eventually ends with you parting with some hard earnt and leaving with it tucked under your arm?

I had it a few years ago with a STX Broomhandle. I picked it up and said to my friend how are you suppose to putt with one of these!?!? I then tried expecting to have no feel for how to use it and after an hour of not missing a putt left with it!

Today I've just done it for the 2nd time. I was in Eagle golf looking at the putters...I was looking through the Scotty's as I often do to see if some numpty had traded a Prototype in for peanuts (found a couple in 2nd hand section's). No proto's but mixed in with the Scotty's was a Odyssey Black i #1...being the freak I am I had to move it over with the other Odyssey's away from the Cameron's (can't mix the veg on my dinner either). I thought I'll just give it a roll whilst moving it... I made 16 putts in a row with it on the mat which is approx 14 foot with about 2" of right to left break on it.

I was fully expecting to hate the thing as I've never really gotten on with the softer Odyssey face insert's, too quiet for me.. but it put a great, true top over tail roll on the ball. I then picked up a 2nd hand Studio Select Newport..pretty much the same shape, all I could muster was 5-6 in a row before a lip out. I tried the Odyssey again and it just kept going in!! I had a look and it was 2nd hand for a bargain £89. I had to pull the trigger. I was still half thinking if I don't like it there's some profit to be had on the Bay for it.

I called in at my Club on the way home for a quick go on the putting green. There are 9 holes cut on our green varrying in length from 10 to 20 foot, non of them are straight. I play two balls on each hole so 18 holes in total & All holes are a par 2...thats how I practice my putting. I normally score 5 to 8 under with about 10 being my record....Well fcuk me!!! I holed my 1st 2 putts on the 1st hole, same again on the 2nd, 1 on the 3rd and on it went. I finished with my best ever record 14 under, thats 14 one putts out of 18 goes with no 3 putts!!!!

Anybody had a simlar experiance???

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Nope, if I find something I like, I search for it on the internet until I get a better price and then have it shipped to me. :D

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I did that with a 3 wood once. Picked it up just killing time while my wife was in the shoe store next door, went in to the launch monitor, and was just pounding them with numbers that were unreal (the store had a vector system that they used as a launch monitor). Long story short she left with two pairs of shoes and I left with a new ho.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Nope, if I find something I like, I search for it on the internet until I get a better price and then have it shipped to me. :D

ualtim

My mind won't let me do this. I HAVE to have the exact putter that was making the putts (or whatever miracle club I've found). I don't care how much it costs... :)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
My mind won't let me do this. I HAVE to have the exact putter that was making the putts (or whatever miracle club I've found). I don't care how much it costs... :)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Easy solution to that. Try another copy of the same club in store and see if there is a difference between the two. Putters I have found to be fairly consistant from copy to copy.

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
This is a bit off topic but a couple of years ago There was a walmart near my house. Someone who works there must have been a golfer because I find clubs and golf balls marked down to like 5.97. They were like Dunlop and adams drivers and woods and the balls were calloways and Nike. I'd check the sporting goods area just about every other day. They were always hidden in plain sight They box is turned around or the club is layed down behind the others.

I miss that guy.

🔥 Latest posts