• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

WHEN YOU BET for those that do..

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
When you bet what do you play for? style? Skins? Beers? whats up?

I usually on bet with my dad because he takes money away from me and i dont feel bad loosing to him haha..

anyways we play DOT's

Birdie, Polie , Barky, Sandy, Greenie, Eagle/Hole in one, Albatross" never happened " and Im sure there are a few im forgetting...

and then we play a $5 Nassau.

$5 on Front 9 Back 9 and the total 18

the worst it has ever been is me beating my dad and winning $43.. which isnt THAT bad for considering how bad i beat him

I think i had 2 eagles on par 5's that day... made tons of long puts and had recoveries left and right. not to mention i shot 74 i think taking the Nassau total and then dots everywhere.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
My friends and I always like to have a couple bucks on the line through whatever means. Keeps you focused regardless of the round you are having at the time. We usually mix it up and play something different each time, whether it be Skins, Better ball partners, Nassau, etc.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
We play a 10 dollar Nassau with 5 bucks for closest to the pin on par 3's. Other times we will play for greens fees if we are not playing our home course.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Whereabouts are you kwc? And how you likin the Solution?

Back home I usually played matches and such for pizza/lunch etc after the round with friends. Usually straight up when playing with friends who also played tourneys. Some other friends we played with had to give like 6-7 a side to, but was really fun cuz I usually gave them an extra stroke or two a side to make myself perform.

So mostly all bets we played were either for a ball or for food/drinks.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
We play (12 of us) every weekend (sat and sun). We all put $25 in the pot and play as 4somes. We play front 9 total, back 9 and overall, total score as a group with hdcp's factored in. Also have skins in there. Lots of fun.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Play a few types of games:

Units - Sounds similar to your "dots" WCG17, where each unit is worth say 20 cents. A unit is scored for winning the hole, birdie, chip-in, Nearest the Pin on selected holes, flaggies (holing a putt outside flag length), snakies (3 putts), sand saves and long drives on Par 5's. 2 units for an eagle, 5 for an albatross and 1 unit taken off for "Monkeys" (a ball that would have been dead had it not hit a tree and come back out in the fairway or light rough.) Only in groups of 2, 4 or 6 and players team up.

Straight sixes - Units style again but this game suits 3 players. Each hole is worth 6 units of 10 or 20 cents. If 1 player wins the hole by themselves they take all 6 units, if 2 players halve the hole they get three each and if all three halve, the next hole jackpots to 12 units. Birdies, chip-ins, nearest the pins, long drives all awarded a bonus 1 unit aswell and flaggies and sand saves etc are optional depending on who you're playing with. Player with the least amount of units pays 1st and 2nd the respective deficits and 2nd pays 1st the deficit bewteen them. So if you play well, you can clean up at this game. Playing for 20 cent units I've walked off the course with $30+ before. Brutal game on a bad day :laugh:

Usually also have $2 on the end result with various members of the club aswell.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I'll play skins, nassau or else play with €1 being given for every shot behind the other guy you are, so if I shoot 76 and my bro shoots 74 I owe him €2. I like that one as it keeps you going throughout to not lose too much money

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
That's a good idea there emc, ill have to play with with my buddy to keep him from giving up when im 6 up with 6 to play:D

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Have never done any betting on the course. I am by no means what I would consider a good golfer but the guys from work I play with are usually worse. Sometimes one will have a good day & I will have a bad one & we either tie or it's about a 1 stroke difference. Either way none of them wants to bet on anything.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Whereabouts are you kwc? And how you likin the Solution?

Back home I usually played matches and such for pizza/lunch etc after the round with friends. Usually straight up when playing with friends who also played tourneys. Some other friends we played with had to give like 6-7 a side to, but was really fun cuz I usually gave them an extra stroke or two a side to make myself perform.

So mostly all bets we played were either for a ball or for food/drinks.

I am in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Solution shaft is great. I have been hitting my driver pretty good for the last 2 months with the other shaft and the Solution is even better. I don't find it any longer for me, but tighter feeling and very straight.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
"Fifty, fifty and a pound" is a common bet negotiated on our first tee prior to play, particuarly if you are playing with or against someone you don't normally play with, as that is a more 'friendly' bet, if you like. That means that £2 ($4) is the most one person can lose.

When I used to play pairs matches with my mates we would have played for a "Blueboy" - a fiver straight. Used to be great craic and you would fight for that fiver as you got bragging rights in the bar afterwards ! :D

Paying for lunch afterwards has been done before and is a good one as you can harp on about how good it tastes when it is free, etc. :laugh: :D

I have caddied for guys before and they've been playing for 500 bucks a hole and stuff. I have been cacking myself and praying that they hit good shots !! :real angry: :laugh:

There is a term that you Americans use when you play for money. It is a very commonly used term and the name of it escapes me at the moment. I would say more, but I never understood to concept of it. Anyone know what I am talking about here....??

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I'll play skins, nassau or else play with €1 being given for every shot behind the other guy you are, so if I shoot 76 and my bro shoots 74 I owe him €2. I like that one as it keeps you going throughout to not lose too much money

That is a good game right there !! :)

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I was practising one day at my club, and these three dude came up to me on the practise green just off the 18th. The guy came up to me and asked me to hold the money they were betting with while they played a playoff hole (he knew me through my father, so i guess he trusted me:p).

So they gave me the money to hold and set off on the playoff hole. I counted up the money they were playing for (between the 3 of them). IT WAS 550$!!!!!!!!!!! When they came back I told them I wanted in against whoever won:D Unfortunately they wouldnt go for that:(.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
We play (12 of us) every weekend (sat and sun). We all put $25 in the pot and play as 4somes. We play front 9 total, back 9 and overall, total score as a group with hdcp's factored in. Also have skins in there. Lots of fun.

We do the same...its a great bet...you're always rooting for your teammates.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Have you guys ever heard of the 'Rumble' format ? It is usually played over 16 holes and 1 score in your 4-ball counts for the first 4 holes, 2 scores for the 2nd lot of holes, 3 for the 3rd set and all scores count for the final 4 holes. That is a real good one for rooting others on, too..:)

🔥 Latest posts