• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When you practice putting.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
You can't put a draw or a fade on a putt, right? So if you can't hit a straight putt, no matter what distance, you'll only get worse when you try to trust a putt straight down a line that is not straight into the hole.

Not trying to be a smart arse....lots of info is lost when only reading. With that said....were you kidding when you said 'you can't put a draw or a fade on a putt, right?'.

Not in the sense of watching it curve in the air, but if you had to guess what happens to a putt when you hit it with the blade 3* open? For starters, it ain't goona go left.....it goes right just like a slice with a 7 iron would at 3* open.

Oddly enough, I'm left eye dominant so L to R breakers are my fav even though I'm a right hander. I don't see the line as well for R to L breakers and don't like them as much. Slice putts are my fav and when I'm really striking it well I try and put all my approach shots left of the stick. Talk about weird.....most righties hate slice putts. I'm an avid duck hunter and shoot lefty as well....just an oddity. I have a right handed pal who putts with an old Bullseye and hit nothing but slice putts....switches to left handed when he has to so all putts are slice.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I start around 2-3 feet, and I drop balls in different spots.. Usually 4 balls.

I putt until I drop them all in 1 putt.

Then I move back to 6-8 feet, and repeat that.

Then if I can, I try some long lag putts, but I want to get the feel of my distance, so I just half ass read the green, and then putt and try and get them close.

To make sure my stroke is solid, I also place two tees, at the heel and toe of my putter, with maybe half an inch of space between the putter and tee. I then groove my stroke to hit the ball square and solid. I do this from around 5ft, and try and do it on a flatter surface.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Not trying to be a smart arse....lots of info is lost when only reading. With that said....were you kidding when you said 'you can't put a draw or a fade on a putt, right?'.

Not in the sense of watching it curve in the air, but if you had to guess what happens to a putt when you hit it with the blade 3* open? For starters, it ain't goona go left.....it goes right just like a slice with a 7 iron would at 3* open.

Oddly enough, I'm left eye dominant so L to R breakers are my fav even though I'm a right hander. I don't see the line as well for R to L breakers and don't like them as much. Slice putts are my fav and when I'm really striking it well I try and put all my approach shots left of the stick. Talk about weird.....most righties hate slice putts. I'm an avid duck hunter and shoot lefty as well....just an oddity. I have a right handed pal who putts with an old Bullseye and hit nothing but slice putts....switches to left handed when he has to so all putts are slice.

Not kidding. You can't possibly fade or draw a putt. You can push or pull it. If you know you push it and play that, then I guess that works for you. A fade or draw would have to start left or right them come back online straight. I basically just practice hitting the ball with the face square and a dead straight putt. My goal is to have it go straight down my intended line 3ft. or 300ft., no push or pull at all. If a putt breaks either way, then the goal is to still hit it straight down the intended start line. In my practice I've found that there is always a tendency to push or pull a breaking putt. So it's like I'll never know if I got the read wrong or I pushed or pulled it if I can't hit a dead straight putt no matter what.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Not kidding. You can't possibly fade or draw a putt. You can push or pull it. If you know you push it and play that, then I guess that works for you. A fade or draw would have to start left or right them come back online straight. I basically just practice hitting the ball with the face square and a dead straight putt. My goal is to have it go straight down my intended line 3ft. or 300ft., no push or pull at all. If a putt breaks either way, then the goal is to still hit it straight down the intended start line. In my practice I've found that there is always a tendency to push or pull a breaking putt. So it's like I'll never know if I got the read wrong or I pushed or pulled it if I can't hit a dead straight putt no matter what.

Gotcha my poor wording. I thought you meant you can't make a ball move right or left with the putter face, but that it was merely the ground that moved putts L or R.

Do whatever works for you as putting is in many respects a personal feel skill. Many approaches work well for many different people. If your putting is where you want it then don't mess with it!

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
When I first started taking golf serious, my putting was definitely the part of the game holding me back. I was inconsistent, played ok sometimes and then struggled at others. When I went to college, my coach completely changed my putting style and the way I approach putts. Anything outside of 4 or 5 feet he required us to line up with the marks on the ball, practice or playing.

I really think it helped. When you were standing over the ball you knew the break, all you had to do was focus on distance. After awhile you will learn how much break YOU will need to account for.

On a side note for those that struggle with their putting check out Shawn Clement. That is basically the way I was taught. Shawn also has 150 other clips on youtube for anything you maybe wondering about. I think he relates information pretty good.
Shawn Clement.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I do the "Goal post" training...

I set up two tees on the green....about 8-10" apart.....and thn drop my golf balls at random spots and then try to make a putting stroke between the tees and into the cup.

This FORCES me to remeber to read the freens and learn distance control.

Also, the Putting Arc w/ Boomerang are the breatest 1-2 putting aids on the market.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I practice my putting a good bit and use a couple of different techniques. First, I use one ball and keep going until it goes in the hole, that way I am forced to try and recover if I hit a bad first putt. It makes it feel more like I am putting for real that way.

I will also stick a tee into the ground off in a corner of the green and work on hitting putts while trying to get them to gently hit the tee, this makes me focus on a much smaller target (usually from no further than five to seven feet).

If there aren't any other people on the green, I will toss five balls out there at varying spots outside of ten feet. I then will go to each ball and play it as if my approach landed there and putt until that ball goes in. I make it a game with a goal of making nine total strokes or less (making one and two putting the other four). If I succeed at that, I can leave, if not, I have to start over.

🔥 Latest posts