• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Where did you go to college?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Michigan Tech has a very good reputation. My company has hired two young guys from there in the last year (engineering).

:)

Another top engineering school in this area is MSOE (Milwaukee School of Engineering). But that's in Milwaukee. :(

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
aforums.s2kca.com_images_smilies_cheesehead.gif

And there it is!!!

Love it!! +1

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I'm accepted to one of my main choices already, and I will find out about the other on Thursday or Friday this week. Another major possibility could be doing 2 years at UWGB and then transfering to get my mechanical engineering degree. That would save A LOT of money, a good thing considering the current state of federal loans and all that.

Anyway, I'm accepted to Kettering University, a small, private engineering school with a very very good coop program. I'm waiting on Michigan Tech, where I've wanted to go there since I was little.

Where did all you college graduates go?

edit: I know some people are going to say go to Madison if you can, but it really just doesn't interest me that much right now. I'm really looking to go to a smaller school and one that focuses almost entirely on engineering.

Mike--- Madison is my graduating school but I went to UW-Eau Claire for the first two years. If I had it to again I would go to smaller school first again. I have my experience , my son and daughter's experience, and three nieces experiences to draw from. I would strongly encourage the saving $ option. When we met Eric and I both felt you had positively made your mind up on a career. BUT I have seen two many people change their career choice as school proceeds. The Valedictorian of Eric's class chose Carleton College with a Full free ride. Minnesota private school with an extremely huge reputation in Engineering. Andrew is a wizard in math and science, his father an electrical engineer with a Master's degree, and he also was positive he had found his life calling. Now he is a Spanish Ed major at an engineering school. He just back from a semester in Brazil and LOVED it. Not that he wasn't top of his classes in Carleton's engineering program. He found it just did not enjoy engineering major. If $ is a concern then UW GB is the answer. A great school education wise and a tremendous savings in $. Good dorms setup and its got a golf course in the middle of campus. I threw the golf course in there but it is (I hope ) not a deciding factor. Students I have talked enjoy the social life. If I remember right they offer a shadow program in the campus tour. If so, shadowing with a student is one of the best was I know of getting a "feel" for the school. WBL is right about MSOE. Great city and a transfer possibility.

If your take tour of UWGB talk to someone about a transfer to, let's say, Mich Tech. They have no reason not to give you good advice.

From my point of view you have a good idea of what the world is about. If engineering is your life choice then your will know it by your 2nd undergrad year and with the prerequisites out of the way the more expensive campus will be more affordable post transfer.

Good luck my man and stay chilly

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
De Anza College for my first "two" years and then transferred to SJSU.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
In my opinion mate, go for the best reputation school, even if it doesn't have he best program you are looking for. It would help you in the long term A LOT.

You pay an Ivy league school for example for their reputation, not for their program. I assure you University of Miami has a better Med. School poram than Columbia University does, but having a degree from the seond one opens you doors ANYWHERE in the world; you need a little more effort with a degree from UM.

Just think about it, ok? :)

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
In my opinion mate, go for the best reputation school, even if it doesn't have he best program you are looking for. It would help you in the long term A LOT.

You pay an Ivy league school for example for their reputation, not for their program. I assure you University of Miami has a better Med. School poram than Columbia University does, but having a degree from the seond one opens you doors ANYWHERE in the world; you need a little more effort with a degree from UM.

Just think about it, ok? :)

That makes more long-term sense if you're planning on grad school. If your career will require an advanced degree, then your grad school matters more than your college.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Go to UNC Chapel Hill
BOO!!! HISS!!! ;)

Graduated from NCSU, but had to go through 4 other campuses and take about 10 years off along the way to realize that a college degree could matter at some point in my life.

All you college age ST'ers, go to school at the right age and get the work done. It's much better than graduating after you're married!

Jeremy, good luck!! It's a good school, and probably where some of my children will wind up going. :real angry:

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Did the tech school thing with the idea I would transfer to South Carolina for Engineering or Clemson for Architecture. Got my AS in Engineering Design, decided I did not want to be an Engineer. Found out it took lots of money and lots of time to be an Architect after applying to Clemson, UNC-Charlotte and NC State. Decided not to do that either......got a good job with a small home builder designing houses, which I love, and have been here ever since. Just be absolutely sure whatever you decide to do is something you want to do everyday for a long time. I know many people that have degrees they don't use or graduated and decided it wasn't for them and are bouncing around taking classes or working odd jobs.

Jason

InTheWoods

Aug 20, 2008
Community College for 2 years
B.S. Forensic Science from Virginia Commonwealth University

As others have stated, go to a small school first and then transfer in to your 4 year school of choice. Unless you are looking at the Ivy leauge schools, most colleges accept transfer students and its usually easier to get in that way. Plus, look at the money you save. My CC was $80 a credit hour and VCU is pushing $300 a credit hour, HUGE savings!

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
SCGolfer said:
I know many people that have degrees they don't use or graduated and decided it wasn't for them and are bouncing around taking classes or working odd jobs.

Do you know my sister?!? ;) Two Engineering degrees from an Ivy League school, doesn't want to be an engineer anymore, and is currently walking dogs or something. My parents, bless their hearts, don't remind her every day about the $150K down the tubes.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
DH,
It is amazing the amount of money people spend to get a 4 year degree and then just waste it. Be it I know some people with degrees in something obscure that they should have known would not lead to a job. You would think with the amount of money it cost, people would major in something other than amusement park management or something. I suppose I shouldn't judge since I decided not to finish my BS but I do atleast have a job that pertains to what I studied.

Jason

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
University of Hard Knocks:beach3:
Never attended college, although my parents offered to foot the bill wherever I wanted to go, for some stupid reason I decided against it. if I had the opportunity to do it all again, most likely would have attended UW Madison.

Have taken quite a few classes at MATC but that's about it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I went to the local community college, CCRI. I went initially for electronics then later switched to business management. I got 4/5th's of the way done and haven't been back. I'm glad I went though, learned quite a bit and it's helped me in life.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.