• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

where should i order my driver from?

J.J.

May 13, 2007
heres the deal.. i unloaded my ping g5 10.5 the other day.. ping rep at a demo day recommended that i go with a g5 9 degree with an nv stiff flex shaft.. so i look around at a couple golf shops and found it.. then i got to thinking about how i could save some money on tax if i just order it.. tax would be around $30 plus more if i upgrade the grip..

tgw.com i can order the driver and upgrade the grip and the 2nd day shipping is only $12.. so thats saving around $15 on just buying the driver myself at a shop here.. only problem with tgw is they don't have the specific grip i want as an upgrade..

for what its worth i'm wanting the winn Xi-17 AVS Firm.. i know i could just order that also but not havin to mess with taking one off and putting it on would be a plus

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you want new there aren't too many options. Ping's "price control" is borderline Gestapo as I'm sure you've heard.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
If you want new there aren't too many options. Ping's "price control" is borderline Gestapo as I'm sure you've heard.

One of my friends works at the shop at a military base in North Carolina, servicemen and women usually get a discount on everything at the shop since they aren't paid as much as your lawyers and doctors. They gave a 10% discount to any active service person and lost their Ping account. Another friend gave a Ping secret shopper a free bucket of range balls to test his newly purchased G5 and was suspended for a year.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
If your local shops are chain stores then go the tgw route however, if they're little local ma'n'pa shops then suck up the $30 and give the local business the money.

I have the luxury of having both types of shops in my area and I'm a regular customer at both shops AND I've ordered from TGW. The VS Proto I just ordered was from GS as was my TT Black Gold iron shafts (coupon/sale made their prices untouchable) however the Bridgestone Hybrid I just bought was from the little shop.

Also, all my club work is done by yet another little shop. The guy charges a bit more for labor (than GS) but his quality of work and turn around time blows GS out of the water!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
One of my friends works at the shop at a military base in North Carolina, servicemen and women usually get a discount on everything at the shop since they aren't paid as much as your lawyers and doctors. They gave a 10% discount to any active service person and lost their Ping account. Another friend gave a Ping secret shopper a free bucket of range balls to test his newly purchased G5 and was suspended for a year.

Screw Ping.

R35

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, screw any manufacturer who tries to keep Wal-Mart from taking over the world. I mean, why should Ping dealers be able to actually make a real profit margin? This is a free-market economy, right? Shame on Ping for helping local dealers avoid being bankrupted by huge corporations selling product at ridiculously low margins.

Jun 24, 2006
Stay away from Golf Town.:(

Bastards wont send me my shoes for free that I paid for more than 2 months ago.

I'm sassed.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yeah, screw any manufacturer who tries to keep Wal-Mart from taking over the world. I mean, why should Ping dealers be able to actually make a real profit margin? This is a free-market economy, right? Shame on Ping for helping local dealers avoid being bankrupted by huge corporations selling product at ridiculously low margins.

When Wal-Mart starts carrying Ping, we'll talk. Until then, buy used.

R35

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
all things being equal, buy it from the mom and pop shop - you technically have to pay the sales tax to your state anyway (use tax in most states) so you might as well do what you can to ensure you'll have a place to demo clubs before hoing them online for a decent price

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.