• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Where to play in San Antonio?

clint

Aug 17, 2006
I'll be coming to San Antonio in March to visit my Mom and I figured I'd bring my clubs along and do a 36 hole day. The question is where to play. I've been looking on the internet at some of the area courses but it's hard to tell the character of a course from website pics.

I was kind of thinking about playing something reasonably priced in the morning and then looking for an upper end course for the afternoon round (read, twilight rate.) If anybody wants to join me for either or both rounds you're more than welcome. It'll most likely be between March 13-15.

My Mom lives near I-35 and 1604.

Clint

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
La Cantera has two very nice resort courses. I played the Palmer course, and it was a good test.

I really liked Silverhorn. Not an upscale course, but a great layout. They call it the local's favorite. Tends to be played by the better players in the area (which explains the funny looks I got ...)

The Bandit is a little out of town, but a very fun layout. The guidebooks call it a "must-play". I'd say it's a "should-play" if you have the time for another round.

I didn't get to play Pecan Valley, but it's at the top of my list for the next visit. Just had a $5 million renovation, so I say you definitely play there.

The Quarry looks like fun.

If I could only play two courses, I'd probably play Pecan Valley and La Cantera - Palmer. I'd add Silverhorn, The Bandit, and The Quarry - in that order.

Hope this helps

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I lived there for two years and played quite a bit of golf there...

If you are looking for a reasonably priced morning round and then a nicer and more expensive afternoon round I would suggest:

1) Olmos Basin course in the AM....this is a municipal course located along US 281. It is a decent muni and well maintained. The price is downright cheap....if you are willing to drive a bit between your rounds, Cedar Creek is the best of the munis and is located on hilly terrain in the NW part of the city. Once again, all of the municipal courses are very very reasonably priced.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/coursedescriptions.asp?res=1024&ver=true

2) In the afternoon drive less than a mile away and play The Quarry - which is rated one of the top 100 public courses in the Republic of Texas...I loved this course and its back nine is really interesting. It is inside an abandoned limestone rock quarry. Once you descend into the quarry the sheer walls of it loom above you as you play the back side.

This is an upscale course with an upscale price but worth the memory....

http://www.quarrygolf.com/

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Just Bumping up an old thread to see if any other recommendations from new member, or people have gone this year. Going down for a long weekend and probably looking more forward to the food than the golf, but I will be taking the clubs for a couple rounds. So it looks like there may be enough courses mentioned in this thread to keep me occupied, figured I may as well bump.

What the heck, may as well ask the other thought on my mind. I already know where I will be going for BBQ (Rudy's), but any good Mexican food places that I have to try?

BTW, we will be staying on the Riverwalk.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Just Bumping up an old thread to see if any other recommendations from new member, or people have gone this year. Going down for a long weekend and probably looking more forward to the food than the golf, but I will be taking the clubs for a couple rounds. So it looks like there may be enough courses mentioned in this thread to keep me occupied, figured I may as well bump.

What the heck, may as well ask the other thought on my mind. I already know where I will be going for BBQ (Rudy's), but any good Mexican food places that I have to try?

BTW, we will be staying on the Riverwalk.

I've eaten at these. Not on the Riverwalk, but all good choices for different reasons.

La Fogata. A very cool restaurant. Well worth the drive.
La Fogata - San Antonio, TX, 78213 - Citysearch

For cheap eats that won't let you down, try Habanero Grill. More Tex-Mex, but awesome burritos. A little north of town near the airport.
Habanero's Grill - San Antonio, TX, 78216-2005 - Citysearch

And for a more upscale meal - this one is good.
Paloma Blanca Mexican Cuisine, San Antonio Texas

I haven't eaten at these places on the riverwalk, but I'm sure they're good.

Paloma
Paloma Riverwalk Parilla Grill

Casa Rio
Casa Rio - A Taste of History on the River Walk of San Antonio

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
I lived there for 5 years and most courses are reasonalbly priced, I think PecanValley is where the seniors play. I heard the Quarry was great. Cedar creek is a cool course in the hills. La Cantara is where the pros play. I played Canyon Springs which I thought was nice.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Mi Tierra is a good restaraunt that's just a couple blocks off the Riverwalk.

Mi Tierra Restaurant & Bakery

Looks like a good spot. I'll have to keep it in mind for my next trip there.

Gotta' try this:

Cabrito — tender young Goat baked to perfection. Served with Guacamole, Cheese Enchilada, Spanish Rice and Refried Beans.

I had goat in the Bahamas, and loved it.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I've eaten at these. Not on the Riverwalk, but all good choices for different reasons.

La Fogata. A very cool restaurant. Well worth the drive.
La Fogata - San Antonio, TX, 78213 - Citysearch

For cheap eats that won't let you down, try Habanero Grill. More Tex-Mex, but awesome burritos. A little north of town near the airport.
Habanero's Grill - San Antonio, TX, 78216-2005 - Citysearch

And for a more upscale meal - this one is good.
Paloma Blanca Mexican Cuisine, San Antonio Texas

I haven't eaten at these places on the riverwalk, but I'm sure they're good.

Paloma
Paloma Riverwalk Parilla Grill

Casa Rio
Casa Rio - A Taste of History on the River Walk of San Antonio

I can tell you really know the town!!!

Jayhawk - La Fogata and Paloma Blanca are where the locals eat Mexican food. There is nothing on the River Walk (from a Mexican food standpoint) that the locals eat at....

La Fogata is a MUST....but its going to be a 15-20 minute drive. Bring a GPS with you, bc it is not necessarily easy to find. But the LOCALS keep this place packed and it is a big restaurant. Paloma Blanca is easy to get to - located on Broadway in Alamo Heights....about 8 minutes from Downtown....one night, my wife was getting take out from there and was standing beside Tommy Lee Jones as he picked up his...he lives about 5 minutes from there.

Don't get me wrong about the Riverwalk...it is very very pretty and does indeed have some decent places to eat but it is geared toward tourists. Pick a riverside sidewalk restaurant and eat a meal there, but Take the Time and drive to La Fogata....it is a local legend.

And if you are going to play only one round - just go ahead and play the Quarry....you will never forget it....the back nine is absolutely memorable....playing down inside the sheer walls of a deep rock quarry....expensive though....about $100....if you want cheaper, go to Pecan Valley and don't look back.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I can tell you really know the town!!!

One of our manufacturers is based in San Antonio, and I've been going to their annual "training/sales/eating good food" meetings for four years. They know the good spots, and we dealers reap the rewards.

And of course I alsways leave on a Friday, so I can get some golf in before the Mon.-Wed. meetings. I've put the Quarry on my list for this year.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
And of course I alsways leave on a Friday, so I can get some golf in before the Mon.-Wed. meetings. I've put the Quarry on my list for this year.

Great....I'll come down there and strangle you if you don't bring the camera and get some pix....I am telling you that back side is something to behold visually....

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Well thank you all for the suggestions. Turned out to be a great trip. Didn't see your post until I got back Bravo. We did have a GPS, which just makes traveling much more enjoyable. Although we did do La Fogata, as I figured if it was at the top of Eracer's list it would be worth the drive. We Played La Cantera - Palmer Course, Pecan Valley, and The Quarry. We ate at Rudys, Mi Tierra, La Fogata, and various places along the riverwalk including one of their BBQ Places and a Steak Place (First day we went out with some of the people my wife works with). Probably drank enough Margaritas and Frozen Margaritas to fill and freeze over the San Antonio River. Man, they serve those up like water down there. We already decided that we may likely go down this year for the Final 4 if we can get booked, whether or not Kansas is involved. We will have to try Paloma Blanca and Tomatillos at that time.

As far as Golf, La Cantera was a great course but it is unlikely we would play there again for the money. My wife and I came to the conclusion that it is likely a bit more prominent because it plays like a mountain course in the middle of Texas. Which is probably pretty unusual. But I can think of many course up here that are better, and are only about $50 to play instead of $140. There were also far to many blind shots on the course for my liking, it seemed like every other hole. Again, great course, but to me it seemed like it was probably so popular because of the elevation changes, which we are all to familiar with up here. The Quarry was a very unusual course, and well worth the $90 just to see how they pieced this thing together. Fortunately the back 9 in the Quarry was open. I guess up until last week the back was closed due to the recent flooding. You could see that on the course, but it still played relatively well. Pecan Valley may have been the best bang for the buck at under $60, and probably what I would view as Texas golf if I had any vision going into the round. Wind played a heavy role that day. Also noticed this was the location of the 50th PGA Championship, as still advertised on their scoreboard. All 3 rounds were enjoyable. I am not sure I will ever get used to the spongy, fuzzy grass around the greens, that wreaked havoc on my short game this week, and most prominent at La Cantera.

Food wise, we went to Rudy's after the round at La Cantera. I have always been convinced there are two type of BBQ in this world. That based around Sauce and that based around Rub. Although they can both mix. I have always been a fan of good sauce. So while Rudy's had great BBQ, to me it was actually a little disappointing. They pride themselves on their smoking and use of Rub. Their sauce leaves alot to be desired. So while I did pick up their Rub to Bring home, I could never compare it to my liking for KC BBQ which has always prided themselves on their sauce. Although that being said, I will agree Eracer, their cream corn is special and was the highlight of their food for my wife and I. I will also say their Beans are much better than what I found in KC as well. If I ever went back it would like be more for the Corn than the beef. While they are a true BBQ shack, and the certainly better than anything you would find in our neck of the woods, I have always just been a fan of Wet BBQ. Actually the Commercialized BBQ place on the Riverwalk was probably just as suited to my taste, as I thought they may have had better sauce. Mi Tierra was great Mexican food with a great atmosphere, we went on our way back from Pecan Valley. They may have had the some of the best margaritas, and atmosphere. Mariachi singers and the whole works. They are open 24/7, so we will likely have to try breakfast next time around. La Fogata was definitely our favorite this time around. Went after playing the Quarry. Good atmosphere and probably the best food we had down there. We went for lunch, and next time down I would like to go at night and sit out with the fountains and fire rings that they had set up for latter.

As indicated before, I was more looking forward to the food than the golf and San Antonio did not disappoint. Both were good, but I would likely give the edge to the food.

We also went during the Big 12 Championship, in a sea of OU and Mizzou fans. So I was one of token KU fans in the crowd. I compare this area to, in my own words, "A civilized New Orleans setting" I will also add that we stayed at the Hilton Homewood Suites on the Riverwalk, and while the price, room and services were great I would have to add that they built this into a fixed up older building and while they did a great job, they did a lousy job soundproofing the rooms. Which likely takes it from being one of the better deals and an incredible room you may find to just So~So as you wake each morning to the "Sounds of San Antonio".

Such a nice room and accommodations, but makes it hard to say if we would stay there again.

Will have to try Silverhorn and the other choices next time around. It seemed another heavy choice with the locals, and Republic was another mentioned by a few down there.

Thanks again all!!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.