• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Where's MG and dave?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Haven't heard from them in ages. ManchesterGolfer has probably gone through five sets of new clubs by now and two dozen drivers.

And dave always had some interesting things to say.

Anyone know where they are and how they're doing?

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I spoke to MG in July, he's just taking a break from forums and stuff while he sorts a few things out. I was wondering wth he'd got to myself.

No idea about Dave, he could be competing in the "World Mr Gruff No Nonsense Competition" in Yorkshire maybe? He's the 11/8 fav.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I spoke to MG in July, he's just taking a break from forums and stuff while he sorts a few things out. I was wondering wth he'd got to myself.

No idea about Dave, he could be competing in the "World Mr Gruff No Nonsense Competition" in Yorkshire maybe? He's the 11/8 fav.

Good to see you on here as well! Haven't been around much lately? I haven't posted as much as I have in past years either, life just races by you sometimes and sweeps you up, ya know!

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Seems like everyone has drifted away at the same time, time used to be I would open the Pro shop, make a brew and settle down to the boiling pot that was shottalk, dont know why but it seems to have become a bit quiet on here

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Seems like everyone has drifted away at the same time, time used to be I would open the Pro shop, make a brew and settle down to the boiling pot that was shottalk, dont know why but it seems to have become a bit quiet on here

This is a common occurance on all forums that I am aware of. People come and go.....it's human nature.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Some folks change what toys they play with. People will take up golf. They read and learn and become involved in the great knowledge base in the sky... known as internet golf forums. Then, a couple years later, they get interested in boating or cycling or photography or ..... They will read and learn and get involved in internet forums about their new toys. Some find their old toys and come back to them. Others continue moving on the more new toys.

We also evolve in how we approach our games. A certain celebrity of ShotTalk, who will remain namelesswbl, went through a driver/day for about two years. After trying his 724th driver... and recounting the glory of hitting between 3 and 5 fairways with each, in a half dozen rounds, he finally has settled on a couple that do work for him. For a number of years I had an addiction to having to have the newest and shiniest in the bag. Now, these old Eye 2+ irons have been in the bag for about 4 seasons.

If we're not amassing numbers similar to the national debt on our credit cards... just to have the opportunity to peel plastic off new grips and waste some more of the wife's finger nail polish remover taking of yet another set of price tags... we don't have as much to talk about on the forums.

Some of us have matured to the point we understand we just weren't born with the God-given ability to play this game at the professional level. We will enjoy our rounds with our buddies for the conversation, the dime or quarter bets, and to be blessed to hear the joke the same guy has told at least 4 times in the last 3 days. We will argue about things we have no control over, like Cheetah, just for the sake of drumming up some good dialogue. We will suggest, somewhere during each and every round, that we are too old to play this game and should trade our clubs for checkers and a checkerboard. Then, we'll roll in a putt from 40 feet and hurry to the clubhouse to make a tee time for the next day.

A month ago, I was getting fitted for a shuffleboard stick at the local nursing home pro shop. Had reviewed the rules for playing Canasta and thought it might be time to start TIVOing the daily soap operas. My golf game certainly showed my age and my inabiity to do much of anything except check myself in to Shady Acres Home for the Physically and Mentally Challenged. Then, between last weekend and the past two days... I've decided old age is still many years in the future. I can make birdies and I can compete with the young flat-bellies. I can kick the butts of some guys in the group who are 20 years my junior. I can enjoy this game again. Next weekend... the longer Labor Day weekend... who knows what golfer will show up to swing the clubs in my bag!!!

I just enjoy the fact that we have ShotTalk in which to ramble on about our games. I appreciate Sling not allowing this to turn into a political slugfest between those who wake up each morning to drink another full portion of KoolAid... something available from numerous political persuasions. I hope the advice from some of the aged/experienced can make this great game more enjoyable for those new to the game. And, I look forward to the excitement of the novices as they learn that this game can provide years and years of enjoyment.

Some of us will come and go. One of these days, I'll fade off into the sunset, looking for internet forums on how to seduce 80 year old gray-haired, Depends draped, honies... with millions in the bank. Or, I'll have to find a forum that will tell me how to cope with a Prius when I can no longer afford the luxury of my 4WD Silverado. Or, I'll have to find an investment forum when I win Powerball. In the meantime, humor me......

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I hate to say it but I am slowly losing my interest in the game. I think it has to do mainly with time constraints and money constraints. There never seems to be enough of either. I have started a new job and have a 3 1/2 yr old getting ready to start preschool. My priorities have changed. I wish I had time to play, the one time I was out for fun this year I shot a decent round, 86 from the back tees on a decent course in my area. That was in June.

At this point I am torn between shelving the hopes of playing again either for the year or for good-most likely for the year but you never know.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I hate to say it but I am slowly losing my interest in the game. I think it has to do mainly with time constraints and money constraints. There never seems to be enough of either. I have started a new job and have a 3 1/2 yr old getting ready to start preschool. My priorities have changed. I wish I had time to play, the one time I was out for fun this year I shot a decent round, 86 from the back tees on a decent course in my area. That was in June.

At this point I am torn between shelving the hopes of playing again either for the year or for good-most likely for the year but you never know.

Big Jim, your winter won't be far away. A good dose of a northern winter with its accompanying cabin fever should have the desired effect!! You won't be able to wait to hit the course next spring. ;)

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Sadly, this is one of the better forums on the internet with very little back biting and a lot of comical observations, I hope that it can rise again once more and challenge the likes of WRX etc...., It deserves a place to project it's thoughts

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Big Jim, your winter won't be far away. A good dose of a northern winter with its accompanying cabin fever should have the desired effect!! You won't be able to wait to hit the course next spring. ;)

Yeah, there is about a month left in the season, maybe 6 weeks. Then we have the joys of 5-6 months of winter. By next spring I hopefully will be itching to get back out and have more time to do so!

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
One of these days, I'll fade off into the sunset, looking for internet forums on how to seduce 80 year old gray-haired, Depends draped, honies... with millions in the bank.

Amo need that link. :)

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I miss dave.. Haven't been called a FOOL in awhile.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
After months of exchaning PMs on shaft length and stiffness, Dave and MG eventually got married and eloped to SameSexGolf.com. They may be a while.

Barkz

Aug 26, 2010
Whilst on the course this morning I was speaking to one of the other members, who I discovered was MG. I told him about this thread and how WBL was missing him. I swear there was a tear in his eye as he informed me that he would log back on again and speak to you all sometime soon.

Members online

No members online now.