• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which of these 4 sets of irons would you recommend...

tailStrike

May 4, 2008
I am looking to buy either the TM Rac OS2's, Nike CCi's, Cobra FP's, or Titleist 755's. On a good day at the moment, I shoot in the 90's, but I consider my iron play the strong suit of my game (have been teeing off with 4-iron lately). I lose the most strokes due to problems with the driver and getting the ball up and down. My iron play and putting is okay. I hit a slight draw with my irons and swing about 90MPH with the driver.

Which of these sets would you guys recommend based on this info?

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
have you demoed any of those irons? I would say, the Cobra FP's and TM OS2's will probably be the most forgiving. Both can be had at really good prices too.

If there is a golf shop around you, give it a go. They will most likely have those clubs in the demo area and you can swing with each one. Who knows, you might find an iron that's not listed above that you like better.

Some others: Ping G5's are on sale with the intro of the G10's.

For a 90mph driver swing, I would say go with Regular flex in the irons.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Go demo, pick which iron set suits you. That is the only way you'll come out 100% in favour.

OP
T

tailStrike

May 4, 2008
Unfortunately there are no shops close by that carry all of those that I know of...plus, I really hate hitting into the net as a judge of the irons and I don't trust the computer as it registers my driver swings that i'm sure result in a snap hook as just a few yards off line.

I went to a demo day recently and it was such a madhouse with people jammed on the range that I was swinging like crap and everything felt the same. I guess I should see if I can find some with the 30 day playability deal, but usually that isn't available for close out sales.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
Unfortunately there are no shops close by that carry all of those that I know of...plus, I really hate hitting into the net as a judge of the irons and I don't trust the computer as it registers my driver swings that i'm sure result in a snap hook as just a few yards off line.

I went to a demo day recently and it was such a madhouse with people jammed on the range that I was swinging like crap and everything felt the same. I guess I should see if I can find some with the 30 day playability deal, but usually that isn't available for close out sales.

It def. sucks that you don't have a nice choice of shops with demo clubs. And yes, demo days are usually kinda crazy--but there is just no way to recommend clubs. We all know who makes good quality stuff, but it doesn't necessarily work for any person. You're just going to have to hit some to find out. Plain and simple

Golfer4life

May 11, 2008
You don't have this one on your list, but the new Titleist AP1 irons are great. I used to play Callaway X18 and switch to customized AP1 and I am more than satisfied. My ball flight is more consistent and I am hitting more greens due to the Dynamic Gold High Launch shafts that I had customized with the Sensicore model.

I agree with the guys, fitting is important. This was the first time that I was fitted for irons and it made a huge difference. Good luck!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Anything but the CCi's. I liked them in the short irons but they were hard to hit in the long irons for me. Seemed pretty bladelike and a very thin sole. I'd personally choose the 755's but the Corbra's would be a nice iron if they come stock with Nippons.

OP
T

tailStrike

May 4, 2008

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm really leaning towards the 755's myself. You can't beat TGW's price on them at the moment. Now, if I could just sell this thing so I could buy them on last year's hobby money :):

Raptor 50 Titan Nitro Heli w/ Engine, Servos, Gyro!!!! - eBay (item 260241190490 end time May-19-08 11:32:22 PDT)

As far as custom fitting goes, I'm of such average stature that I think standard length and lie works pretty well for me.
That looks like a fun machine.

Please don't buy any clubs without hitting them first!

OP
T

tailStrike

May 4, 2008
Certainly is a fun machine. I have others to fly when I get the itch, though.

Went to dick's and hit the Rac OS2's, Cobra FP's, and Nike Ignite's (not on my list above, but they were a good looking set and in the same price range). Out of these three, it looked like the Cobra was best for me. I was a touch longer with the TM's, but the shots were way left. I guess this could have been the offset as it was quite a bit more than the Cobra's, and I do tend to hit a little bit of a draw.

I'm pretty much going to plan on buying the Cobra's, but I am going to try and make myself hold off until I've had a few more lessons. We'll see though :). You can't say that I didn't hit them now.

Kyle

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
You can demo clubs without a store if you really want to.

golfclubdemo.com

buddy of mine demo'd some MX-19's from them, now he's looking for a set to buy.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.