• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which range finder should I buy

americanfighter

Sep 21, 2008
Callaway
LR550 Laser Rangefinders

Bushnell Medalist Laser Rangefinder with Pinseeker Technology

Leupold GX-I Digital Golf Rangefinding Monocular

I need a range finder so I can get an exact distance on how far I hit my clubs and help on the course. I was wondering if any of you has had any past experiences with these or heard and good are bad things about them. They are all 399.99 which one is the best?

thanks guys

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I know absolutely nothing about rangefinders, but I would go with the Leupold. I like the word Monocular. Sounds like a cool movie robot with one huge laser blasting eye.

"Monocular vs Alien-Will Earth Survive?"

I'd go and see it.

Kevin

natex14

Oct 6, 2008
Can I ask why not go with something like the Skycaddie, or GolfLogic? these will tell you exactly how far you hit, not just to the flag, but everywhere around the course.

Also, if you have a Windows Mobile phone you can download a free range finder called, freecaddie.

Just my two cents, but I'm a geek, so I like the gadgets.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Nikon uses 6x zoom; Bushnell only uses 4x, last I knew.

I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro (no pinseeker), and my regular golf buddy has the Nikon 500g. It is INFINITELY easier to get pin yardages with the Nikon compared to mine; both due to the optics and the programming; the Nikon takes the first yardage it catches instead of the most frequent yardage. This means it'll get the flag more frequently, not all the stuff behind it.

BUT! With Pinseeker, Bushnell's now do the same thing, basically.

The Cally rangefinder actually gives you about 4 seconds to pan around an area after you get your initial yardage so you can guage the distance of the surrounding area; i.e, the length of a creek, etc. It's a very cool device, but I would not pay any more for it versus a regular Nikon 500g or Bushnell Medalist w/ Pinseeker. Plus it's a terrible yellow color.

LyleG is currently selling a Medallist for $190. I would JUMP on that if I didn't spend 150 on my yardage pro this year. I recommend you check on the availability of that unit. I've never seen a better price.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I would go with a GPS over a rangefinder... especially since they are comparable in price.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I would go with a GPS over a rangefinder... especially since they are comparable in price.

I wouldn't, but that's just my preference, as the GPS is yours.

To respond to the OP:

I have the Bushnell Tour V2 and it is easy to use, picks up flags at over 300 yards (If you need more than that then you may need to double check on who your REAL parents are???).

The magnification level isn't a factor. In fact higher magnification can actually make it harder to hold on target. My V2 is 5X, while the Nikon 440 I had was 8X. The V2 is far superior to the Nikon in every way. The difference is the Pinseeker circuitry.

What you want is a unit that has Pinseeker or the equivalent that picks out the flag from the background clutter. You also want one that allows you to scan the target. With my V2, I press the button while aimed intentionally a few feet left of the target, then slowly scan across the flag (or other target, could be a tree, or bunker lip, or hazard bank, etc.). The Pinseeker picks out the nearest object and displays the distance to that, ignoring the background. You can turn off the Pinseeker when you want to scan a general area to get an overall impression of the layout.

The Tour V2 is more expensive than the Medalist, but the little research that I did before I bought mine seemed to indicate that it was a better unit, so I spent the extra money and I've not been sorry that I did.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Doug J

Mar 18, 2006
I have the Bushnell Scout 1000. It's the same as the V2 just no marketed for golf. It works great for golf and is $100 cheaper. Bushnell also has a $50 off mail in coupon through December.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm gonna splurge on a SonoCaddie V300 for Christmas.

Thats all I have to add.

Rangefinders IMO, take a little more time to use. I'd like to pull it out of my pocket, or belt clip.. Or look in the cart and see my yardage. I don't need to know it's 123 to the flag. I can't hit the flag. :)

I want to know it's 90 to the front and 130 to the back, and the creek is 50 from me.

I'd be pointing and shooting all afternoon with a rangefinder.

Not to mention, I feel like a dork using one. Don't ask why, it's just me I think.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
GPS's way more convenient, glance down(attached to holder on cart handle) and see distance to front of green,middle, and back. see the distance to carry the bunkers,creeks,etc. are you behind a hill need your yardage? no problem. short par 4 dogleg and you want to cut the corner for the green? no problem. i played a guy today and he was hungover from last night,and it was windy(flag was moving all over), couldn't hold his laser rangefinder steady enough to use it.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.