• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which shafts for 1980 Hogans?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I have a set of 1980 Hogan Apex IIs that I have decided to use for my TLT experiment. The set is 2-E, and most of the heads will need to be regrooved and rechromed. The shafts that are in them have no bands and 1 is broken, so I might as well take this opportunity to replace them.

So......what to replace them with?

Would a set of Project X or Flighted Rifles be sacrilege? I could use some help getting the long irons airborne, so I need something with a high ball flight.

Or should I go with a set of Dynalite Golds, which will look more "original" with their step pattern?

Or should I try to find a full set of Apex 3 pulls?

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I don't think Hogan would be upset if you used rifles. You should ask dave though. :)

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I'd go with Dynalite Golds (and did :D) -- they are not too expensive, excellent quality shafts, tip soft so will help with a little higher launch and since these are "project clubs" won't cost you a 2nd mortgage to mess with them.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I've got graphites in my 1990's apex plus Hogans. Also Royal Precision makes the Apex shaft for Hogan so I believe it good and just to use PX shaft.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I think the original Spalding Apex plays a little stiff, but the weight isn't a problem, only 115g, so it depends how you like it. Weights is very important to how you swing

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I'm gonna try to find some Apex 3 pulls, if that fails, then Dynalite Gold R flex.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Price of regrooving and rechroming has gone up to $34 per head. Ouch! 9 x $34 = more money than I've got right now. :(

Hmmm, the cast Mizuno MX-11s may have to be sacrificed on the altar of experimentation.........................................

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Price of regrooving and rechroming has gone up to $34 per head. Ouch! 9 x $34 = more money than I've got right now. :(

Hmmm, the cast Mizuno MX-11s may have to be sacrificed on the altar of experimentation.........................................
Man up and do it yourself. What's a little Hexavalent Chromium poisoning, or Nitric Acid burn?

🔥 Latest posts