• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which to choose?

specs92

Jun 26, 2009
Hey everyone,

I'm a 5 handicapper lefty:laugh: from Canada. I'm currently playing the Callaway X-20 tour irons, but as of late, have found that mishits and inconsistent ball flights are taking away from my game...

I am considering buying new irons.. I'm thinking about the
:callaway: Callaway X-forged 08
:smilie_ti Titleist Z-B forged
as well as the cobra pro CB irons

If anyone has any valuable advice or experience with any of these sets of irons i would really appreciate the input before forking over my money for a new set of sticks.

Thanks

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've used all 3 of those sets and the Cobra Pro CB's are heads and sholders the best. Great feel, superb trajectory and good blend of distance, control, workabilty & forgivness with the stock PX shafts (non flighted). For me the titty's are the worse of the group, look great but clicky feel & the original X-Forged have too much weight low down, they launch very high, great feel but with the PX Flighted shafts baloon into any kind of head wind might be good with non-flighted shafts or S300's.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Your mishits are bad with the X-20 tours... Why are you wanting to go to a LESS forgiving set of clubs?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Your mishits are bad with the X-20 tours... Why are you wanting to go to a LESS forgiving set of clubs?

I was thinking exactly the same. I don't get ether why would you change your clubs to "players" clubs if you can't hi them well...

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
The X-20 Tours are great irons. I wouldn't stop hitting them until you are... ready to actually play the tour! :D

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005

could be a confidence thing.

At 5 HCP he can definitely play the players style irons. I hated the X-20 tours, but loved the X-Forged for example and I'm a higher HCP than he is

OP
S

specs92

Jun 26, 2009

It's more confidence and the fact that I've grown since i had the clubs fitted. That's why i'm going to new less forgiving clubs.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If its confidence and your wanting a smaller head, look into the Srixon i-506's. They are practically the same size as my TM RAC mb's, but they have a cavity back to make them much more forgiving. They have a thin top line also.

I'm sure there are other players cavity backs out there, but the Srixon's are the ones I'm familiar with. ;)

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Don't take this the wrong way, but I feel like by the time I am a 5 cap I wont need to ask anyone about what irons to hit. I could be wrong, but it seems like by the time someone is shooting mid 70's they should be able to know what they can strike the ball best with. Could this be more of a slump or something? If you really are a 5 cap your ball striking is probably pretty good by most people's standards. By all means feel free to ho... at some point it's practically an obligation, that was just my initial thought when reading the op.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Don't take this the wrong way, but I feel like by the time I am a 5 cap I wont need to ask anyone about what irons to hit. I could be wrong, but it seems like by the time someone is shooting mid 70's they should be able to know what they can strike the ball best with. Could this be more of a slump or something? If you really are a 5 cap your ball striking is probably pretty good by most people's standards. By all means feel free to ho... at some point it's practically an obligation, that was just my initial thought when reading the op.

Sums it up perfectly.

🔥 Latest posts