• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which yardage gap would you fill?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Did I mention I have a 200steel 5W for sale. As well as a R7TP 5W... head or with shaft, see sig.
icon10.gif

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Did I mention I have a 200steel 5W for sale. As well as a R7TP 5W... head or with shaft, see sig.
icon10.gif

Are you serious? I know for the right price, its all for sale. How about the R7tp, just the head?

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
simple solution on wedges: short grip it.

every inch short gripped on clubs takes about 10yds. it limits how much you can back swing, and thus reducing ss. you have to experiment w/ the yardage lost per inch on your PW, and go from there. make sure full swing w/ reg grip or choked grip should have the same tempo.

my pw goes about 110yd full swing. i have 54* that i can reach up to 70 or so. at 100yd marker to the green i choke down about an inch. if 90 or 80 yds, choke down even more.

as far as the wood goes, i'd get about 5w.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Can't say I have. But I can imagine...:shark:

Par 3, maybe 214 yards. Wind sorta into me, but not much. Easy 7 wood.

I top my 7 wood about 30 yards. Perfect start. I'm what, 180 out? Better hit a 7 iron, just to be safe. Well, I'm not 180 out, more like 140. Ball airmails the green into the trees. Chip out of the trees about 6 feet. Lying 3, still 20 feet from the green. I'm so pissed at this point I whiff a chip about 6 more yards. I then hit my 3rd chip to the fringe, where the ball checks up about 27 feet from the cup. I'm lying 6, and I haven't touched the green in any capacity.

Of course I drain the 27 foot snake for a 7.

Golf rules.:hunter:

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Are you serious? I know for the right price, its all for sale. How about the R7tp, just the head?

I'd have to take some real good pics. It has nothing that will affect playabilty but some pretty good scratches. Surprisingly nothing on the crown that would be seen at adress. Toe and heel area have some down to through the paint to bare in a few spots. I haven't even installed the thing yet, just got it recently. I am thinking about a 19* hybrid instead and a 3i to PW. I hit irons better than woods.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you more details. I'll get some good pics for you to judge condition. They are hard to come by cheap. Saw one used in the shop today... $329. Yikes.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I have only the normal distance gaps,my gap is just normal,2-pw then gap and lob.Use this bag and you get no gaps other than what you expect.When I tried all the hybrids I had bizarre gaps all over the place,same when I messed with 3w lofts,so spookily again a normal 14 did the trick

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
For me I would likely get both and dump the 4i. But I guess that would depend, I'm only guessing you have a small gap between the 24* 4i and 21.5* hybrid. More importantly, how big is the gap between your 5i and 21.5* hybrid? Your PW plays like a 9i and you have a 9* gap between it and your wedge. For me, if I chose one it would be that over the 5w, but again, I'm not sure I would want to do without either. It would only be like carrying 3 wedges as your PW is 45*. Possibly even bend the 54* wedge to 55* if you can, and get a 50* wedge. Just food for thought. Having a 25 yard gap in my wedges at that distance would be the most detrimintal thing to my game, not to mention my chipping. I would even be happy dumping my 3w, as I currently have to accomodate my GW. I would further rather fill the gap between the PW and 54* than keep the 60* in the bag. Although I carry 47.2*, 52*, 56*, and 60*. If I were to rid myself of one, it would be the 60*. What do you primarily chip with, and how would a wedge around 50* help that part of your game?

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
OK, I maybe should have listed all my yardages. Here goes

Driver- 270 yards
Three wood- 250-255 yards

3 hybrid- 220
4 iron- 205
5 iron- 195
6 iron- 185
7 iron- 170, more like 172 and a half
8 iron- 160
9 iron- 148
PW- 135

Sand Wedge- 110
Lob wedge- 90

I normally pitch with a lob wedge, as I have trouble getting height on short shots. I chip with the pitching wedge, usually. I deloft the snot out of everything, so I'm pretty long with my irons. I hit a four iron very well, and I have considered getting a three iron and a lower lofted hybrid. The hybrid is steel shafted and the length is the same as a CG4 tour three iron. Also, the loft is the same at 21 degrees. I figure the hybrid is probably five yards longer than the three iron would be, so no need to spend the money.

The lob wedge is, besides the putter, the most used club in my bag.

I like your idea, Jayhawk, about bending the pw. Its currently 46 degrees. Maybe bending it to 48, 49 is the ticket. The punch 135-140 yard nine iron is one of my favorite shots. Food for thought, certainly.

Does anyone know if you can bend a CG4 tour pw to 48 without breaking it?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
A little food for thought... I see a lot of the pro's bags they have an actual wedge in replacement of a PW. I've seen Cleveland wedges in 46-50*. You could drop the PW and go like 48* wedge. This would be a lot more versatile than the PW. I am considering this myself with a Miura blade 48* PW. My CB isn't all that bad though, I hit it out of shallow bunkers all the time.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
A little food for thought... I see a lot of the pro's bags they have an actual wedge in replacement of a PW. I've seen Cleveland wedges in 46-50*. You could drop the PW and go like 48* wedge. This would be a lot more versatile than the PW. I am considering this myself with a Miura blade 48* PW. My CB isn't all that bad though, I hit it out of shallow bunkers all the time.

Check my bag....I did the same thing, and it's a winner.

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I have a 48º TM rac that I really like better than the PW that came with my OS2's. Not sure what I'll play when the new Mizzy's get here.

As far as what you need....you need an Adams Idea Pro Hybrid, 18º (2I), VS Proto 80 R shaft. I even know where you can get one that's almost brand new...hehehe...

Seriously, thought about a 2I hybrid?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online