• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

White Hot XG #7 to replace my damaged putter

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Since I damaged my original putter in my accident last week. I replaced it today with the White Hot XG #7. It seems like a decent putter, the two "fangs" as my wife called them, give a similar alignment aid to the two bar. I was pretty impressed, and will post a review when I get a chance to make it on the course. Two other side notes. It will pick up the ball by simply pressing down slightly on the ball because the "fangs" are just less than the width of the ball, and it comes with a poker chip ball mark velcroed into the top of the headcover. I will likely do away with the headcover, as I rarely use them. The face is also slightly thinner than most putters.

I also used the Heavy putter, which is interesting and felt nice, but I prefer a soft insert. The heavy putter is milled, and gives a fairly dull response similar to having an insert. The shaft under the grip is weighted, and feels pretty nice. It also comes with multiple weights. If I ever had putting problems, I would likely try this putter. It allows you to use your shoulders, and the weight of the club to move the ball. I really thought about getting one, although I found the the rings in the back got caught up in the artificial grass on the backswing, and I like to use my putter whenever I can. I thought this may be an issue.

Here is the link, I picked up the #7.
http://www.odysseygolf.com/en.PRODUCTS.WHITEHOTXG.html

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Dracula called, he wants his putter back.

Great replacement though, looks fun.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Now we can be twins!!!!!!! I got the same one as that quite recently, because my Odyssey 2Ball was damaged. They're really good, but my putting isn't great with it or without it.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
I was assaulted with it, by me ex-friend... I posted a topic about it a while back... I was raging about it at the time, because I putted great with it. I sent it to Odyssey to get fixed, but the scammers wanted 55 quid to get it repaired!!! More than the actual putter, since you gave me such a great deal!

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I very nearly bought said putter off t'interweb last week there. Lowcost golf on ebay is doing them at a v.reasonable 69 quid (pounds). Sweet. Never seen the thing, though reckon I could handle it well...

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
They go for $119 USD in my area. I think I am going to like this, although I planned on in time adding lead tape under the grip as I did on my old putter to counter-balance it and to give a little heavier feel but not in the head, as it gave a nice feel for me on my old on, but will try it for the rest of the year prior to doing so. This is probably more so because I got a 33" shaft, to more closely match my old cut off one, which was 33 1/4"

I will post a review in time, although likely not for a couple weeks as I am still not certain when I will be able to play alot because of my injury, as well as vacation. Other things I notice is it has a much softer feel with the putter, as opposed to the original White Hot. Although I think this is more due to the grip as opposed to the newer insert.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Just sold my 2-ball today (what was I thinking ??!!!) and ordered myself a brand-new 'Fang' for 75 quid, inc. postage. Will be here int' morn :D

Shot 4-over with 38 putts yesterday; bear in mind I was marginally off the green on 3 occasions and putted, so I am counting these, too. Hadn't hit the ball so consistently well in quite a while. Hopefully this will get me going again, though something else like my pitching is bound to go now !! lol. :)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Darnit! LAUGH AT MY JOKE!

I putt with that putter yesterday while waiting to go off, not bad at all, I like the face inserts.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Darnit! LAUGH AT MY JOKE!

I putt with that putter yesterday while waiting to go off, not bad at all, I like the face inserts.
:D
Got out to play for the first in two weeks, back seemed to hold up well and actually feels looser this morning after swinging. Basically took 2 clubs more and an easy swing all day in a Scramble format. Played well from inside 170 yards.

I had a chance to try out the putter yesterday on real grass for the first time. It felt really good, nice weight, great alignment with the 2 lines on the fangs, and I like the response of it over my original White Hot. My first thought is that I found a great replacement, and may like it more than what it replaced.

Although I like to think it will be just as reliable as my original putter, I will leave the verdict out on that, as the greens were just airated, and although I putted extremely well for airated greens, had great speed control, I will wait until I play on normal greens (hopefully after this week and next weekend) to post a review.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Speed control is so very important on airated greens, so it's great ot haer it went well.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Thought I would copy this over here from the classifieds for future reference to anyone eyeing this putter.
White Fang revisited
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you Andy, I remember you saying you picked one up shortly after I got mine 2 months ago.

I was really sad when my old White Hot #4 (original putter) got damaged, and was a good putter before and didn't imagine I could be much better. Having owned this putter now for 2 months now, I am convinced it is the best putter on the market for how I putt.

My putting average went from 29.57 before to 28.29 since owning this putter, not bad considering I was not completely comfortable with the change for a short while, and have also had a higher percent of GIR over the same timeframe, my chipping hasn't been as good in that same timeframe I think in part because my injury changed my style, and putting on airated greens. The last 4 rounds I have been averaging 27.5.

A large part may be because it is faced balanced and my old one had a very slight toe hang, and I do have a fairly close to true pendulum stroke, but the alignment aid is incredible for me. Never really liked the 2-ball when I practice with it, and it was what I had planned on going too if not the Ping Craz-e. The Ping was out with their current state of affairs, for which I am now happy I ruled them out.

The insert has a nicer feel IMO, compared to the original white hot. The putter has allowed me to change my lag putting technique, I used to do a chip putt variation for lag putts. I will mention, on really long lag putts I initially had a tendancy to pop the ball up with this putter and the reason I got away from my chip putt technique. The face is shorter (smaller) than my old putter, and it would catch the top of the face. With the added weight and different feel, I am more consistant with my standard technique. For my putting technique, I have always favored just rolling the ball in the hole as opposed to 17" by, just my way. Although with my old putter, I would go through phases of leaving the ball short. With this putter and the added weight, I seem to naturally put the ball slightly past the hole and never seem to leave them short, which is nice although did require a slight adjustment on my part in reading breaks. Again, probably from the weight, and possibly due to the balance. Anything within the 5-10 foot range feels alot more secure. All in all, I am really impressed with this putter and believe it really compliments my putting style and nature. The alignment fangs are fantastic, and would probably make me give credance to the 2 bar putter.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I just bought the White Hot XG 2-ball and you're gonna love the feel off that insert!! It's the best I've ever hit.

:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.