• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whither the short par 3's?

OP
cabinessence

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Its all about design, when you get those long ones, as you said you just knock it up there and hope to get up and down, theres no real trouble you can put on that hole to make it semi fair, midlength with adequate tough shots, and short holes with lots of trouble is where its guna be in the future of course design, because they cant keep going longer, they have to go tougher!
I'd love it if you are right, but I'm not hopeful. If the current US Open setup is any indication...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Cabin, you are entirely right, we have a shorter 3 here. I was glad I listed it first, as it is the first three you come to, but, I guess it can get overlooked easily.

It's the hardest 3 on the course, to me, especially when the flag is in the back right, downright nasty.

I do agree though, a hole doesn't have to be long to be hard.

Oh, and I know on the card it says 248, that hasn't been updated in a while, no idea why. The created a new teebox that was further back a while ago. *shrug*

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
This is the 8th hole at the course I played today. It's a little Sawgrass replica deal. It only plays around 110 but it's a tabletop. It's dead on my GW yardage and I'm 6 for 6 hitting it. Missed the 10footer today but I bravely hit a near perfect fade at the pin stuck way on the left. Twofast hit it as well as my boss (he's good on this hole too). My boss's son hit into the water twice. Last week we played with a guy who was 1under to here and made an 8.
icon10.gif

It's a pretty wide green but no depth. Not even a full club difference from front to back.

2002_0516_160947AA.JPG

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I dunno, 110 seems a little small for me. If you are hitting a wedge at the distance of 110, you should be able to knock it on no sweat. I can't remember the last time I missed an approach shot with a wedge.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
^^^ That being said, it's a pretty cool hole, hehe.

At Paako near where I live, the first par 3 has a 100 yard long green, but let me tell ya, that's a tough hole.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I dunno, 110 seems a little small for me. If you are hitting a wedge at the distance of 110, you should be able to knock it on no sweat. I can't remember the last time I missed an approach shot with a wedge.

Don't worry boss, it's 150 something from the blues and back to 170 and change off the blacks when they break those out. Like I said, not a club from front to back either. The longest possible putt from a center pin front to back is like an 18footer. :laugh: I wouldn't expect anyone who has decent distance control to have trouble with it. Like I said, I'm 6 for 6 and stuck every one inside 15ft. There is also like no rough to stop the ball either. Fortuanately it's like dead on this mound I hit to at the range. I just picture hitting that mound and it's breeze, that green is 10times larger than the little mound.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Eek, don't call me boss.

I didn't mean to sound cocky or anything, I really never do, even if it seems that way. All I meant was that for a short hole, most people despite handicap have decent control over a shot from 110, at least I think so, which I'm probably wrong.

Still, island greens are freaky, never played one, but I want to. So all of this is foot in mouth information anyway, :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.