• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who’s the best teachers?

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
United States United States
Putting: Harvey Penick!
(Die at the hole)

Chipping & pitching: Paul Runyon!
(Chip with 4 or 6 irons)

Irons: David Ledbetter!
(Crisp iron shots)

Woods / driver: Adam Bazallgette!
(Effortless swing)

I also like the automatic golf program, its on YouTube and amazon prime!

no right or wrong here just preferences!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
For us recreational golfers... Pennick by miles!!!! "Teachers" too often try to instill a "perfect swing"... the same swing in everyone they teach. Most of we who play this game for fun, have difficulty duplicating a model swing week to week... or swing to swing. We are build differently and have radically different athletic talents.
Pennick's books teach theory... the mental side... instead of swing perfection. "Take dead aim!" "Don't let one bad shot turn into two or three!" I am a firm believer that the reading of "The Little Red Book" twice by most golfers would do more to improve you game than two weeks of work with a teaching pro.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
I'd like to think I'm a pretty good teacher. Ask sssmokin and warbirdlover. I don't think any of my students would say otherwise either.

OP
E

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
Do you putt and chip with the same stroke?
I mean chips within 8 feet of the green

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Chris Como has a good video of explaining ground forces. He does so by trying to swing a club in the air after jumping off a diving platform. Look for it on YouTube

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
As a leftie and more or less self taught, all of my lessons have come in the pages of books and golf magazines. I spend most of the time flipping the text and ideas into a more “leftie friendly” lingo. That yes would be ass backwards to all of you right handers. Most of my books have jotted notes in the margins, rights scratched for lefts and in some, I even have post-its in places. These books won’t ever learn my library! It’s just a golf nerd thing I guess?!?

Hogan’s Five Lessons and Penick’s collection of books (think there’s four?) are some of my most favourites. Penick’s Little Red Book is at the top!! I have also read and enjoyed both of Dave Pelz’s Putting & Short Game bibles. They are also probably my most marked up and tagged golf textbooks. My school text books would probably come in next, With several about golf course architecture, design and construction. Again golf nerd!! Another one that I find myself revisiting from time to time is this one
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1599251077.112618.jpg

Nick has some great visuals to help you think your way through shot making. Also has some really cool ideas!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
As a leftie and more or less self taught, all of my lessons have come in the pages of books and golf magazines. I spend most of the time flipping the text and ideas into a more “leftie friendly” lingo. That yes would be ass backwards to all of you right handers. Most of my books have jotted notes in the margins, rights scratched for lefts and in some, I even have post-its in places. These books won’t ever learn my library! It’s just a golf nerd thing I guess?!?

Hogan’s Five Lessons and Penick’s collection of books (think there’s four?) are some of my most favourites. Penick’s Little Red Book is at the top!! I have also read and enjoyed both of Dave Pelz’s Putting & Short Game bibles. They are also probably my most marked up and tagged golf textbooks. My school text books would probably come in next, With several about golf course architecture, design and construction. Again golf nerd!! Another one that I find myself revisiting from time to time is this one
View attachment 32153

Nick has some great visuals to help you think your way through shot making. Also has some really cool ideas!!
I just put in a request for Pelz' book at the library. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
...Penick’s collection of books (think there’s four?) are some of my most favourites. Penick’s Little Red Book is at the top!!
Little Red is the only one he actually co-authored. The other 3 were published after his death by his co-author on Little Red. They are all good, but in my opinion Little Red is the best. All 4 are well worth reading.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Little Red is the only one he actually co-authored. The other 3 were published after his death by his co-author on Little Red. They are all good, but in my opinion Little Red is the best. All 4 are well worth reading.
Little Green Book was published in 1994 a year before he died.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I just put in a request for Pelz' book at the library. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

This is a bit of an older post, but what did you think of the book Limp?? Did you get through it, could you? There’s a lot in there!!!

🔥 Latest posts