• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who here has a bad back?

clint

Aug 17, 2006
I've been battling back pain for a few years now. What do you guys do to deal with it? Have you altered your swings at all? How do you warm up before a round. Do you play differently when it's cold out? Anything else you do?

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I really dont have a bad back...my back gets alittle sore after I play 27 or more holes but I think that would be normal for anyone. Thats about the only time it bothers me. My feet, legs, knee hurt me alot more than my back.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I do have a bad back also (yes, im only 18) from a ski accident 2 years ago.

I do a few stretchs during my round to keep it loose and do a few normal back specific things when I workout.

The only thing I workout everyday is the couple back things and abs along with whichever thing im doing that day.

someguy

Jan 8, 2008
Clint, i've had some issues with mine off and on for the past year or so at least. lower back, right side of the spine. near as i can remember it was golf related as i had started playing more frequently when i was stationed in Hawaii. at least that's the first time i can remember it. it went away for awhile then started up this year when i was trying to get ready for an am. league here in norfolk area. long story short, i ended up going to see a chiropractor because various things like heating pads, icy-hot, etc. didn't do a damn thing. i should've done that a lot earlier because that's exactly what i needed because my 5th lumbar just above where the tailbone starts was locked in place on the right side.

hope this helps

rob

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've survived "ankylosing spondilitus" (usually quits when you reach age 50) which is a degenerative rhumatoid arthritus condition of the spine in which the discs become inflamed from the arthritus and deteriorate so the vertebrae fuse together. Very painful (couldn't even put my shoes on) and finally got it diagnosed and (in the olden days) the only drug that would help was Indocin. In 1% of cases using Indocin it destroys the fine hairs in the inner ear and you lose hearing. That's why I'm also very deaf today... :D (Now they have new drugs like Celebrex that don't have those hearing loss side affects)...

In any case I learned to swing what is now called "stack and tilt" to get around the pain and it helps. I no longer have to take drugs but some days a few Ibuprofen are needed. I usually take three before playing a round. Also a trip or two to the chiropractor when the back acts up. Definitely has shortened my swing though because I lost flexibility and can't take the club back nearly as far as my younger days. (That's why I am so fanatic about trying different clubs since I need all the distance I can get).... :)

You can learn ways to deal with the back pain!!! :laugh:

(I did win two state archery champion titles while dealing with the pain)... :)

todmun

May 22, 2006
Have had lower back problems since I was 18(now 34). Just bought an inversion table(the table you hook your feet in and then raise your arms and tilts you backwards til your upside-down). Ive used it only for a few weeks now but I do have to say that my back does feel better.Its not 100% by any means but there definitely has been an improvement.Especially after I play a round. We had some nice weather here in CT couple weeks ago and I got a few rounds in. After not playing for a few months my back was killing me and I had had enough. Thats why I got the table.

ol-crank

Oct 28, 2006
most common cause of back pain is poor core strength.

If there hasn't been trauma caused by physical injury, then likely the muscles, ab and back, aren't able to support the upper body, causing too much weight on the back.
You don't mention your age or any contributing factors but if you have back ache now, it will only get worse. Time to investigate and find out how to get in shape. I bet most back pain is muscle or ligament and not disk problems.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I don't anymore thanks to a simple remedy!

I play nearly everyday in the Summer and still 2-4 times a week in the Winter. I had a real bad back all of 2006 that I first hurt carring my little boy. I tried stretches and all sorts of muscle relief but in the end I fixed it by not carrying my clubs at all anymore. I use an Electric golf trolley and don't have any pain at all any more. The pain i did have was right at the bottom of my back through my right arse cheek and into the muscle at the top of my right leg. I went away for 3 days last year and took a pencil bag and half a set of irons after two days I had the pain again. I just won't carry anymore and the back is fine!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
MG, you hurt a disc. That is the kind of pain I had. It causes pain to shoot down the back of your legs etc etc :)

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
MG, you hurt a disc. That is the kind of pain I had. It causes pain to shoot down the back of your legs etc etc :)

Probably but if i do any carring (Golf clubs, My Son, Shopping, etc) the pain comes back. If I'm a carrying free zone there isn't the slightest hint of the problem?

Jun 24, 2006
gah, I tweaked my back twice today.

Once taking my 25 pound bookbag off and an hour later stacking wood.

I'm to youg for this shit..

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Mine's junk from a disc injury several years ago. Golf actually helps loosen it up and feel better, though - can't ask for a more fun PT routine than that. It only hurts if I try to swing too fast or hit a few fat and dig holes in the ground, otherwise it's not bad. It does result in less swing range and slower club speed than most 32 year olds, but I'm okay with that.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I can crack my own back which is helpful but large doses (1000mg) of ibuprofen are also very helpful. :)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I've had a prolapsed disc for 20 years. Only thing you can do is stay fit and healthy, carry any extra weight and you are stuffed. 75 drves yesterday didn't feel it, last year I would have been worn out and laid out in pain. All I have done is excersise more and lose weight, thats it. And swing a weighted club DAILY

OP
C

clint

Aug 17, 2006
I was diagnosed with degerative disc disease a couple of years ago. Thing is, my nerves only bother me half the time. The other half it's muscle pain. I could stand to lose 10 pounds or so off my gut and I definitely need to exercise more.

Dave, how long do you swing the weighted club? How much force do you use?

🔥 Latest posts