• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who is Oliver Fisher?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Well he’s another up and coming teenage sensation that is blazing onto the European tour circuit. He narrowly missed out winning last week at Andulucia and he is now being touted as the next Faldo.

I am wondering if the current British crop of Casey, Donald, Rose are going to ever win a major. Maybe it's guys like Fisher and McIlroy that will bypass them as the next great home grown hope.

He is a close friend and rival of Rory McIlroy and pundits are already likening the pair to the Faldo / Lyle rivalry that existing in the 80s and 90s.

He was a winner of the Faldo Series in 2003, 2004 and 2005 and was quickly identified by Faldo as a star of the future. Has already written himself into golf’s history books by becoming, at the age of 16, the youngest player ever to play in the Walker Cup when he represented Great Britain and Ireland at the Chicago Golf Club in 2005.

Then he became the youngest Briton to win a place on The European Tour at the 2006 Qualifying School – Final Stage, where he played as an amateur before taking the fifth available card and promptly turning professional. A solid rookie season saw him finish 109th on the Order of Merit with one top ten in the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles. Coached by Chris Jenkins at Crowlands Heath in Essex.

Interesting quote from him last week, after he finished 2nd
“It was great to see Rory McIlroy there to support me at the end in Spain. We are good friends. That said, there is a lot of rivalry between us from our days in the junior ranks - I would win a tournament, he would win one - and we desperately want to beat each other when we are in the same field.
“Some people have compared our potential rivalry to the great rivalries of the past, the likes of Faldo against Sandy Lyle, for instance. It is true that to make the game really exciting it needs some guys to come out and fight each other on a regular basis, but it is far too early to compare us to such great players.
“If all goes well and we progress as we would like, hopefully that will happen. But neither of us is taking anything for granted. This game is too tough, and the other players far too good, to be getting ahead of ourselves. I have been on tour for less than 18 months and I know that there is room for improvement in every aspect of my game.”

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Luke Donald will win this year's Masters. You heard it here first.

Irish

May 9, 2007
Say what?!?

Luke Donald - Driving Avg. = 281.5
Zach Johnson - Driving Avg. = 268.4

Touché...

still think that it was an exception last year....ZJ's putting and wedge play was awesome...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Touché...

still think that it was an exception last year....ZJ's putting and wedge play was awesome...
Yes, he managed those EXTREMELY difficult greens very well, and that is what won him the tournament. I just really like the way Luke is playing right now. His driving accuracy is down a bit, but the new rough at Augusta should help keep more errant drives in play. His other numbers look stellar:

2nd in putts per round, 7th in putting average, 2nd in scoring average, and 8th in scrambling. Those are the kinds of numbers it takes to win the Masters.

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
Adam Scott or Vijay for Masters :D

[EDIT: Oh, and Olly Fisher is gonna go a long way too - I saw him in the final round last week leave himself blocked out from the green on the first par 5 for his second shot (dogleg right) - They were saying he could have hit driver off the deck to get the cut, but nope, he just took out his 3w and bent it absolutly perfectly round the shape of the hole to plop on the green! - and he is only 19!]

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Oliver Fisher was apparently the next big thing about three years ago, and he made it on to tour last year and had a few average finishes. All I know about him was that he went through the Faldo junior academy at the same time as Mcilroy and got picked over Mcilroy for the walker cup a couple of years back. He seems like a good talent.

huggystyle

Brave Golfers Only
Sep 30, 2005
I am coached by Oliver Fisher's coach, Chris Jenkins and have been for the last 2 1/2 years. I have known about him for longer than that, I try shed some light on him for you.

He is from Chigwell and played at West Essex, an absolute awesome talent. Was spotted by Chris when Ollie was 9 at a driving range in Dagenham. Chris took him under his wing and has been teaching him ever since. Ollie won everything as a junior in essex, he once won the county junior and mens championships in the same year when he was like 13/14. Kept improving getting better and better. Broke the course record round celtic manor when he was 13. Was the youngest GB player ever in Walker Cup, 16 yrs old!. He was being looked after by Nike and IMG back then it was a no brainer he would sign with them when he turned pro. Won countless big amatuer events. Was off +5 as an amateur. Decided he didn't want to go down the route of trying to earn enough money for a tour card on the back of invites and wanted to earn it properly. Went to tour school in 2006, finished 5th (if i remember rightly), I think the youngest brit to earn a card. Anyways earned enough money to keep his card in 2007 and has made a steady progression. The thing is his swing is pretty perfect, no quirky movements like Garcia, Casey etc have in their swing.

He is down to earth, a real athlete, totally focused and not flash (take not poulter, rose) and wants it enough to step up to it, and he is only 19!! I believe and have done along with everyone who knows of him that he is better than rory mcilroy (rory got over exposed for playing well in the open) and I think you will see ollie push on this year and finish high on the european tour OOM. Also quite a few pros I have spoken to round here believe he is possibly the best ball striker they have ever seen in person, the coverage on tv was saying they haven't seen anyone hit their irons this flush before last week in andlucia.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Very interesting Huggy, cheers for the insight.

Looks like potentially excellent duels between himself and McIllroy for the future then. I'd put money on either of them winning a Major before a bunch of other Brits / Irish.

huggystyle

Brave Golfers Only
Sep 30, 2005
fisher and mcilroys relationship kind of reminds me of Westwood and Clarke except ollie and rory are better than they were at that age and are much more athletic. Everything ollie does has pretty much been copied by his support team from tiger woods such as his pre shot routine, fitness, psychology etc etc. Its a proven way sucess.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Those that follow UK amatuer golf have known about Fisher for several years now, and someone up above said he ahd some 'average' finishes on tour, they weren't average at all, they were bloody good! He is a big lad, hits it miles and like McIlroy has a gerat short game. Its tough at the top though, Danny Denison is a great player, I've seen him hit soem incredible shots and he has an awesome short game, just goes to show just how gerat you have to be to get on tour and do well.

The worlds top amateurs are no longer 'amateur, they play golf full time with private sponsors, hence why they can play to the standard they can

🔥 Latest posts