• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who is the a $$?

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
United States United States
Here are a few relevant local rules at the 9 hole municipal course I play at
  • Singles may be paired up when crowded
  • Slower players should allow faster players to play through
  • All play must start from the Number 1 tee.
  • No more than 4 players allowed per group
  • Players starting on shall have privledge over players continuing through
Ok, here is the story. This course has a senior shambles event on thursdays every other week. It is a shotgun start, and i got there during the sweet spot, where the last group was starting hole 4, and the first group was on hole 9. I haul ass and tee off on number 1, im walking , as i am putting my driver up, the group from 9 pulls up on number 1, and starts teeing off.

I was like. ... really? Your going to go off in front of me and pinch me between 2 groups of slow ass golfers when i would be out of your sight in 5 to 7 minutes? This clown was like.... i sure am, we play here twice a month, (this is not a club sponsored event), and singles dont have any rights on the course anyway.

I said a single has just as much right, if not more than the prohibited sixsome they were playing. And by then way pal, i play here 3 times a week so eat my ass. So those dicks teed off and left, one old ancient dinosaur said... we will be fast, we are playing shambles. Lie of the century.

I know i messed up by going there in the first place, but what are some of your thoughts on this situation. Who was right? Any similar stories to share?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I would have kept on like they weren't even there.

This^^^.
Played at a course one time and there was a couple guys ahead of me and I was playing as a single. There was an older couple in front of them. We get to the turn and the 2 guys ahead hit the clubhouse to grab something to eat so slide up behind the old couple, well they take a bit longer than I would have liked and the 2 guys come out with a couple hot dogs and start bitching that I have cut in front of them...they got the big F.U. and I played on and ignored their bs.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I had the same situation happen to me one time. My friend and I were getting ready to tee off on the first tee. A foursome of geezers rolled right off 18 and were going to head out for another round. One of them started spouting off about how twosomes have no rights etc...Real disrespectful and loud. Keep in mind they just finished 18 holes. He was walking past me on the way to the tee and brushed up against me. I gave him the stink eye and told my buddy to tee off. We rolled out and they were never even close the rest of the round.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
At our course, groups making the turn have preference over groups starting. Also members have SERIOUS priority over juniors and ladies. It's a very male centric place, ladies (full members mind you) can only play at the same times as us juniors, which is still a lot, but it's just wrong.

This is a club that only started allowing lady members like 15 years ago.

OP
VA Park Ranger

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
At our course, groups making the turn have preference over groups starting. Also members have SERIOUS priority over juniors and ladies. It's a very male centric place, ladies (full members mind you) can only play at the same times as us juniors, which is still a lot, but it's just wrong.

I would not join if that was the case, i live in central rural virginia, transplanted from the east coast. These people out here are still fighting the civil war. I have a huge problem with exclusionism, no matter what the issue is. The park i work at was once the only state park in VA for blacks. Theese backwards, narrow minded folks out here are still mad that the blacks had a nicer park than the whites. When i bring up that it was the ONLY park that was open to blacks, they huff and say that they could have given them the white park that was basically a swimming hole and a bathroom.

It is hard for me to understand that mindset, but i guess when you are raised in generations of misdirected values, all you can do is shake your head, feel sorry for them and be embarrased.

The place I play at gives preference to first tee players i guess because you dont have them piled up waiting for the first 9 to go get beer, pee, etc while there are allot of anxious people waiting of first tee?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
They were out of line.

In my younger days, I would've played so close to them they would've let me through...like hitting my approach shot as they're replacing the flag. Whistling on the tee box while watching them tee off.

Now? I'd have my say (somewhat politely) and let it ride. Life's too short.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
"Priority on the Course
Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term "group" includes a single player."

The above is from the USGA Rules of Golf. Due to recent Rules revision, singles have the same priority as larger groups... as long as they pace of play is maintained. But....

You will find courses where certain members or group of members believe they "own" the course. We used to have "The Posse". It was a group of old geezers who would tee off at 10 every morning. They would play anywhere from 6 to 8 in a group. They would allow no one to play through them. Most of that group has now passed... or had to give up the game... and they are no longer an issue. They have been replaced by our Ladies Club. On Tuesdays, the ladies tee off and shotgun all over the course. Most are reluctant to allow anyone to play through because "it's Ladies Day"!!!

Whether it's in line at the local grocery store, driving in traffic, or playing golf you will find a number of people that need an attitude adjustment. Problem is, if a proper adjustment were thumped on their heads we who they were offending would be held liable. Most of the time, the aggravation with them is not worth the time.

I'm the world's worst at wanting to "even the score" with certain people. Nothing makes me really agitated on the golf course except someone who has jumped in front of us. I have been known to do stupid things like try to plant a Top Flite.... won't waste a ProV... in their backside. If I were to hurt someone, I'd most certainly be in the wrong.

Let the jerks play their game and try to let it go. They were wrong, but not worth ruining your game by messing with your head. There are days, though, when I sorta wish I had a container of ArmorAll in the bag. After a round to slip by and pour it all over someone's clubs would be quite satisfying. They probably wouldn't realize until the next round that they could not hold onto any of their clubs through the swing.

OP
VA Park Ranger

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
Update. ... yesterday, while playing, two of these old guys approached me and apologized for the two main offenders in the group. Came all the way from another hole to do it. Well i guess there still are some people who think about people other than themselves. It must have bothered them as this hsppened on tuesday, and it was Sunday. I told them thank you, and that there were no hard feelings, one of yhe guys gave me a bottle of water, i was walking, and they drove off. Restores a little faith in humanity.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

IMO - Private clubs should be allowed to do what they please. Don't like the private clubs rules, don't join. Why anyone would force themselves into a situation they know they don't like, and then bitch about it is beyond me.

Then again, I feel that a private business should have the freedom(ya know...that thing this country was founded on) to refuse business from whoever they see fit.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I run in to this all the time while playing busy public courses. It always leaves me hating humanity. The main thing I do to combat this bullshit is to tee off as early as possible. If I tee off after 9am, I know it's going to be a slow day.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.