• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who is the TSA trying to protect us from

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Maybe the TSA should re-evaluate who they should be scanning, and who they need to protect us from....:shocked:
Pilot suspended after firing gun in cockpit - CNN.com

I have to wonder what was going on at the time, and maybe they should have more important things to play around with during an approach.

Opinions, any one....:)

edit 1 - ... can you even imagine what was likely going through the heads of the passengers when this happened?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
with the sealed security doors and the noise from the engines, i'm willing to bet no one in the passenger compartment even heard the shot...if anyone did, maybe first class...

Even then, i'm sure they didnt get on the intercom and say "Just so everyone knows, our pilot was just fingerbanging his weapon and put a hole through the cockpit...thankyou for flying with us." Mass confusion and chaos should be avoided at all costs on an airplane...personally, i would rather no one on the plane nows about it untill it has landed, they dont need to know, they cant do anything about it (except go crazy and cause even more problems).

The media is calling it an accidental discharge, bullshit, unless it was in a locked box and went off by itself it is a negligent discharge. Either way it shouldnt have happend.

Everyone made it off the plane and lived, i think everyone should move on. The only reason this is being blow up is because it involved a gun. If he would have tripped and stabbed a screwdriver through the fuelsalage(i haev no idea how to spell that and dont really care either) itmight not have even made the news and even if it did it would have been a small story and been done with.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I do agree with clark here, just learn from it, move on.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Actually my main reasoning for posting and the title for that matter was likely more from a sarcastic standpoint. Although I agree this is certainly not something I would be announcing over the intercom, and not something the passengers need to know at the time. On the other side, I do believe this is something the public deserves to know from a standpoint on who they are entrusting their lives with. Simply put, if they are making what are obvious negligent decisions that endanger the life of the passengers, we can't expect to know what is going on in the closed cockpit. However if as a result of their negligent choices, they do something that could have just as easily caused this plane to go down, the public deserves to know to make an educated choice on whether to use the airline.

Will this cause me to not use US Airways, probably not. Actually what likely causes me more concern is in all the times I have flown with them they are delayed more than any other business I have ever seen. Yet I still on occasion punish myself to save a few dollars. On the other hand, it is good that it is public knowledge, because if this idiot still has a job with them after this, it may likely cause me to not use their airline and paying customers do deserve to know. If his suspension does not turn into either a resignation or a firing, then in a sense that would be US Airways way of saying that he acted in accordance to what he was trained to do, which to me would seriously draw into question their training procedures and whether I want to trust my life with them if they have such poor training.

In the same sense, if their repairman is dancing and f'n around on the wing and falls and puts his screwdriver through the a flap and the airline knowing this still puts me on the plain without confirming the safety of the plane, that to would cause me to no longer use the airline. Where if they fire him for being a idiot and wish to move on, I can respect that and do not expect the airlines to account for the negligent action of their employees outside of getting rid of them, unless of course that negligent action is part of their accepted training. For which I would hold them responsible.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
i wasnt directing the "move on" at you, more to the media...i agree that it should be known to the public no doubt about that.

I apologize if i came off sounding like i was attacking you

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
i wasnt directing the "move on" at you, more to the media...i agree that it should be known to the public no doubt about that.

I apologize if i came off sounding like i was attacking you
No need to apologize, I didn't really take it that way. Just the thing about forums, kinda hard to always tell intent, in the same sense it was probably kinda hard to tell mine. Just clarifying. Because I really didn't state a real opinion originally, mainly was saying that I don't think my opinion was far off from yours. Probably partly due to the fact that I have been handling firearms of some sort for over 30 years and have never had one "accidentally discharge". Probably due to my training as a kid, and realizing how serious they must be treated. Just find it hard to believe that there is not either a problem with the training, a lack of the individual taking it serious for this to happen. Simply put it is hard to look past the point that someone was definitely negligent here.

If I had to guess this is likely going to end in the guy getting fired, then suing US Airways for putting him in a position that was outside of his realm of responsibility and training. Then further blaming their training for the incident. Then US Airways arguing that they did not force him to carry a firearm and that the American public shouldn't expect them to know how to adequately train someone for something that a teenager can learn to recognize the seriousness, but in the day and age of terrorism, that is the price we pay.

Of Course, then like anything else involving firearms, the NRA and gun control lobbyist squaring off on how this is why people shouldn't carry firearms, and this is why people should have adequate training if they wish to carry firarms. ... and of course US Airways crawling back in the corner allowing them to fight their battles as people forget what initially caused the argument in the first place. Which is likely some pilot showing his co-pilot how they would spin the pistols on their finger, or did quick draws in the wild west, while passing time and waiting for the wheels to touch down. :rolleyes:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Just the thing about forums, kinda hard to always tell intent...
I sometimes miss the intent of the thread title, but most of the time I can figure out what the actual post intended. As an example, the title of this thread led me to believe that you were going to post a picture of one of sssmokin's models: spread-eagled, naked, being probed by eight uniformed TSA amazons, several small, wet farm animals, lying next to her, having just been extracted from various folds and orifices...

Imagine my relief when it turned to be only an ignorant pilot with a gun.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
It's times like these that I am happy I chose not to post this in the Members only section. :p

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.