• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who looks at welds?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Ok, since the other thread is not the place to discuss this, how's about a thread where it can be discussed? Who here looks at the quality of a weld when they purchase something? I know personally I do, I hate the big nasty gob looking welds. We laugh at work about poor welds, the bigger the gob the better the job:p

The ones on my R1 are things of pure art, seriously I actually like to look at the welds on it because they are so damn nice.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
My ex-father in law was somewhat of an artist when it came to welding. And after that retired welder showed me how to weld, I check them out. The more something cost, the better I expect the weld to be.

Back in my hot rodding/muscle car days, I bought a home-made engine stand for like $20. It had these butt ugly welds, but would hold a fully assembled big block. But if I had paid $75 or more, I'd have expected some craftsmanship.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Well, yeah. I'm not gonna pay 4 or 5 times the price of the raw materials for something I could build better myself in a lot less time than it would take to ship it to me.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I don't, as some already know from my post in other threads. That being said, I do not buy many things that need or have to be welded together. Even if I did though, I'm what you might call technically impaired-I think that's how you word it.

Should I, probably. Let me ask you guys this though-since this is my realm of things-the last credit card you opened or loan you took out, did you read all the fine print?

That, to me, is the best comparison I can make. I don't look at welds, most people don't read fine print.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I don't, as some already know from my post in other threads. That being said, I do not buy many things that need or have to be welded together. Even if I did though, I'm what you might call technically impaired-I think that's how you word it.

Should I, probably. Let me ask you guys this though-since this is my realm of things-the last credit card you opened or loan you took out, did you read all the fine print?

That, to me, is the best comparison I can make. I don't look at welds, most people don't read fine print.

I am very mechanically oriented & yes I look at welds & the way something is put together. That being said no I don't read all the fine print.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I am very mechanically oriented & yes I look at welds & the way something is put together. That being said no I don't read all the fine print.

I probably should take more notice of things like that, just like more people should read the fine print. My mind just doesn't key on those things. I kinda wish it did sometimes though.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I probably should take more notice of things like that, just like more people should read the fine print. My mind just doesn't key on those things. I kinda wish it did sometimes though.

I am mechanically inclined and look at stuff like welds. However I hate reading fine print, and it has jumped up and bite me a time or 2. Like recurring billing, grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, yeah. I'm not gonna pay 4 or 5 times the price of the raw materials for something I could build better myself in a lot less time than it would take to ship it to me.

Then feel free to make one. But someone did and was offering it at a price that you're not willing to pay. So, carry on instead of making a scene.

(Not you specifically, just in general.)

R35

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

Then feel free to make one. But someone did and was offering it at a price that you're not willing to pay. So, carry on instead of making a scene.

(Not you specifically, just in general.)

R35

Now now, lets play nice boys & keep that other topic out of here. I am asking a serious question about who looks at the quality of the welds when considering purchasing an item. I really don't give a rats ass about any other threads which just so happened to have spawned this one.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Never looked at a weld in my life nor would I know what to look for if I did.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I sincerely appologize, Mr. T. I suppose I misinterpreted the purpose of this thread. Case closed.

Wasn't 'making a scene' (IMO). Just replying to what I determined was the purpose of this thread.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Now now, lets play nice boys & keep that other topic out of here. I am asking a serious question about who looks at the quality of the welds when considering purchasing an item. I really don't give a rats ass about any other threads which just so happened to have spawned this one.

Wi,

My apologies. Given the nature of the other thread, I figured this is where this would go.

To get back to your original question, of course one would look.

However, it depends on what it is. I used to be a heavy mountain biker and even raced XC on occasion. All three of my bikes had different needs - around town, downhill/freeride and XC. My DH bike had huge, beefy, fat welds that i could have cared less what they looked like if they held the framed together after big drops. The XC frame has less substantial welds, but they were by design - a xc bike requires light weight and a strong frame, but not extra weld if it lightens the bike even a little. The DH - gravity assist - bike was without much care.

Now, obviously, a homemade job on a bike differs immensely over, say a bike rack. The bike rack serves a single purpose and requires little strength, so if old dad down the street tacked one together and the price was right, why wouldn't I go with that over something at 10 times the cost because more labour went into it to grind and polish the welds for asthetics?

It all depends on the situation, I feel. Sometimes, it's a huge deal. Other times, just look past it.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I sincerely appologize, Mr. T. I suppose I misinterpreted the purpose of this thread. Case closed.

Wasn't 'making a scene' (IMO). Just replying to what I determined was the purpose of this thread.

Me too. No worries, either way. :)

R35

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
My new official reply: Of course I would inspect the quality of the welds on anything I planned to purchase. Poor welds = poor manufacturing. Burn marks, splatter, bubblegum shapes, etc. Of course I don't claim to be a welder, just conscious of the quality of the stuff I plan to spend my [limited] funds on.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I had totally forgotten about the welds on bikes, the ones on my Trek are things of beauty. We have 1 guy at work who produces the ugliest assed welds in the world & they don't last. Several times we have given whatever it is he was working on 1-2 good smacks with a hammer & it has fallen apart.

Myself, I know what a good looking weld is but I can't reproduce them to save my life. I can melt & cut steel real good though:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.