• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who owns the greatest round ever played?

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Gary Player's 1978 Masters round of 64 must be up there, winning from 7 shots behind. He came back in 30 shots I believe - similar to Jack's legendary round but not as well remembered.

Seve on the Sunday at Lytham in 1988 was pretty special too.

But when I read the title of this thread Miller's round was the first one that came to mind. 63 at Oakmont....wow

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
It's not a low score, per se, but how about Francis Ouimet's 18-hole playoff victory over heavily-favored Britons Vardon and Ray in 1913? The 20-year-old American, playing on the course where he used to caddy, shot 72 to their 77 and 78, to win the US Open.

Shooting 72 ( 2 under par ) with the equipment used in 1913 ( and a 10 year old caddy ) had to be tough enough, but to pull that off in your first tournament? Against the two best golfers in the world?

Apart from all that, there's the fact that we all might not even care about golf had it not been for young Mr Ouimet. Until his win, golf really didn't matter on this side of the pond.

That, and the title of the movie is "The Greatest Game Ever Played", which cinches it ;)

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I will go with Miller's 63. Only 4 other players broke 70 that day, the best being a 68. This was the Sunday of a US open on arguably the hardest course in the country. Whatever happened that day it was special for sure. Add in that he missed 2 makeable putts and it could have been a 61.

🔥 Latest posts