• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who wins the all-time greats foursome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
ps Tiger is on record as saying he cannot control flight lihe Hogan could,no one has his control on trajectory and distance

Tiger is a pouff and a girly man,on steroids a bit thick, Hogan could have beaten him half asleep

The End

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Put them in the same era and I believe its just to even to call.Give them 20 matches and I bet they would win 5 each,impossible to call.Just assume there are no advantages for modern golf,that all they all ahve the same level playing field and I agree,its just impossible to offer one of them up
I agree with this.

If I had to choose though it would be Tiger because of his putting.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yep,Nicklaus off the tee,Hogan with the irons and Tiger on the greens.Jones can drive the cart.

Horseballs

Sep 6, 2006
ps he was 5'8 and wieghed 150lbs
I was talking about Hogan's pre-steroid/HGH years.
PS
I pulled his height/weight off wiki, so grains of salt and whatnot.

Why all this Hogan-love? Why no love for the real inventor of the modern golf swing, Harry Vardon? They're both dead guys who we've never seen play.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
PS

Why all this Hogan-love? Why no love for the real inventor of the modern golf swing, Harry Vardon? They're both dead guys who we've never seen play.

I'll agree that Vardon should certainly be considered. Before he got tuberculosis he annialated everyone he played against. Afterward, he couldn't putt consistently due to tremors in his right hand.

I standby what I said before though...even though Hogan was the best ballstriker of alltime....his downfall was putting and this is 50% of the game....

Tiger and Jack were such great putters and they held up so well under pressure with their flatsticks...that's why - regardless of whether they all used 1950 equipment or today's....I'd go with Tiger.

And I think it is fair to say that if Jones, Hogan and Nicklaus were all on the tour today....they'd be working out with trainers to stay competitive. Tiger started the trend but the vast majority of the others quickly followed...

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
OK, boys.

Time for everyone to take a deep breath and remember where you are. This is the polite golf forum. We don't call each other names unless it's in fun. This is your one and only warning from an adminstrator.

The next time I post in this thread will be to take somone to the woodshed. :)

And Horseballs, I did see Hogan play in the 1967 Masters. :D His putting in his latter years was the shit because of the eye damage he suffered from being run over by the Greyhound bus.

I did not see Vardon play, but I hear he did something popular with the grip.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yep.Hogan's downfall was the detached retina,he couldn't see the line that well in later years

Horseballs

No real Hogan love,just appreciation of an enigma,the more you read about the man,the more you admire.Tiger will have a career of 30+ years,I still think he will compete until his mid fifties on the main tour,thats the record he will set.Hogan's career was 6 years or so,thansk to the war and the accident.

Pointless arguement anyway,Mac Ogrady would batter them all,easy peasy

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
PS

Just a thought but it may have been that Vardon wasn't one of the 4 options in the initial question.......just a guess but you never know.

I learnt to read when I was 3 - it was a piece of cake.

The irony of this is that one of the nonentities who has attempted to disrupt a discussion with puerile comments is one who really needs to get a grip. Maybe Harry came into his mind (I use the term loosely) subliminally.

just like this comment - He labels morons.

Now that IS irony.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Does anyone remember 1953? Winning at Augusta, Oakmont, and Carnoustie? And lack of competition? Yikes. Phil Mickelson is not Byron Nelson. Jim Furyk is not Sam Snead.

No I don't remember 1953, wasn't born until 1962 & I didn't have "The History of Golf" in school.

Tiger all the way by a huge, crushing, demoralizing amount.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Why is everyone so absolutist that the new players are only good because of equipment? Sure, the older equipment was harder to hit, but you are thinking too linear.

Everyone today has the same equipment, so Tiger is playing with the same equipment (thinking in a relitave manner), as Jack did with his competition. So on and so forth.

What seperates them is the wins, not necessarily what they are using.

And want to hear the number one reason I think Tiger would win? I admire him more than any other golfer. Yes, my opinion is biased, but it also is backed up with some fact.

Oh, Omen, and slightly Horse, please don't flame. Once again, contextual flaming is fun, but the way you do it...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My opinion.

Hogan leads fairways hit and GIR but has the worst PPGIR, shoots 66.

Bobby Jones finds these graphite shafts a bit longer than hickory. :laugh: Makes 2 eagles and rolls in with a smooth 65.

Jack is on fire. Hit's every par 5 in 2 and rolls in a few long putts to card a 63.

Problem is, all of them are at the top of thier game... Tiger hits every GIR except the par 5's, he hits those all in 2. Tiger makes 2 eagles and rolls home a crapload birdies to card a 61.

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
Great thread.
Now, I have another foursome.
Sam Snead; Arnold Palmer; Lee Travino; Tom Watson.
Again, all at their prime, using any equipment they want.
I pick Travino.

Horseballs

Sep 6, 2006
Great thread.
Now, I have another foursome.
Sam Snead; Arnold Palmer; Lee Travino; Tom Watson.
Again, all at their prime, using any equipment they want.
I pick Travino.
I don't know this Travino fellow, but I'm going to go ahead and pick Vardon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.