• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who wins the all-time greats foursome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
So, I thought of an interesting scenario in the steroids thread, and wanted to pose the question. The best four American golfers in history, certainly debatable, are playing in a foursome in a time warp. All of them are at the height of there playing careers, playing the best golf they can. All have modern equipment, and are proficient with the tools. They are playing Augusta National. The players are:

Tiger Woods
Jack Nicklaus
Ben Hogan
Bob Jones

Who do you think wins that match?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Tough to say, sure each was/is the dominant player of their era/era's. But what type of competition did they have to beat down week in & week out? Sometimes stronger competition will result in stronger players. Some people feed off that competitive gene.

Simply based on what Tiger has done in basically a short time frame & the way he decimates his rivals, I would have to go with him winning.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Wow-----The gallery watching the match is the overall winner.

I will go with the sentimental fav----the amateur Bobby Jones. If he could work magic with hickory shafts what "feel he would have with modern equipment. When I see those old instructional videos I am amazed at how well he executes the shot.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I'd go with Tiger, just because of the thrill of crushing and leaving no doubt, :D

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I'll have to say Bobby Jones. As great as the others are/were, they all grew up sharing the legendary aura of Bobby Jones; and the intimidation factor would determine the match.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
How tough is this?

Hogan or Nicklaus based on the ability to close out victories. Heart says Hogan head says Nicklaus.

Great question. Pity it can never happen, can you imagine what it would be like? Just awesome

Horseballs

Sep 6, 2006
I'm going to say Tiger in a runaway. Followed by Jack, then a toss up between Jones and Hogan. As great as Jones and Hogan were, they were great compared to their competition. Even with their skills, they would be trounced by the mediocre pros of today, who have been exercising, practicing, taking instruction, and competing in tournaments since they learned to walk.
Had Jones, Hogan, and Nicklaus been born in Tigers generation and had access to all the knowledge of the modern era regarding nutrition, fitness, etc., it would be an even playing field.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
You might want to read the question properly before posting next time. The criteria with which you gaily dismiss Hogan and Jones is not relevant in this hypothetical scenario.

As for mediocre pros beating them I find that hard to stomach. A most unappetising dish of an opinion all round but as ever you are welcome to it. I just disagree, c'est la vie.

I particularly enjoyed the point about the mediocre pros "who take instruction" - LOL, Jones and Hogan would be the ones administering that very tuition both at the range and on the course.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Well there is nothing mentioned on equipment or course. If each used the equipment of his era Horseballs' statement would be correct, Tiger would win. And what course would they play, a super long tract like in today's game or a shorter one like in the "old days". There is almost no way to make this a fair challenge since if you standardized on equipment from a certain era that golfer from that era would have an advantage. But if some "equalizing" factor could be put in I'd still pick Tiger. :)

Horseballs

Sep 6, 2006
You might want to read the question properly before posting next time. The criteria with which you gaily dismiss Hogan and Jones is not relevant in this hypothetical scenario.

As for mediocre pros beating them I find that hard to stomach. A most unappetising dish of an opinion all round but as ever you are welcome to it. I just disagree, c'est la vie.

I particularly enjoyed the point about the mediocre pros "who take instruction" - LOL, Jones and Hogan would be the ones administering that very tuition both at the range and on the course.
I did read the question. Hogan and Jones grew up in an era where little was known about conditioning and nutrition. It's like taking a HOF defensive lineman from the NFL in the 1950's and throwing him in a 2007 game. He would be lucky to escape without injury, and surely wouldn't be able to compete. Maybe that's an extreme case, but it's true on the macro level. Hogan was 5'7", 140 lbs, Jones couldn't have been much bigger. Tiger has had a team of people (trainers, massage therapists, mental coaches, personal chefs, swing coaches, etc.) at his disposal for years, while Jones and Hogan had to beat their swings out of the dirt.
If you give all of them the same benefits, it's a fair fight.
Oh, and in case you need the acronym, IMHO.
Why are you so confrontational Stanters?

PS
IMHO

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Well there is nothing mentioned on equipment or course.

Yes, there is. To wit:

So, I thought of an interesting scenario in the steroids thread, and wanted to pose the question. The best four American golfers in history, certainly debatable, are playing in a foursome in a time warp. All of them are at the height of there playing careers, playing the best golf they can. All have modern equipment, and are proficient with the tools. They are playing Augusta National. The players are:

Tiger Woods
Jack Nicklaus
Ben Hogan
Bob Jones

Who do you think wins that match?

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I wasn't being confrontational - just expressing my disagreement with your theory Horseballs. That's what forums and questions are for.

I'd back Hogan and 40 cigarettes over an avacado facepack and a massage from Sven from Stavanger any day. plus Ben wore a cardie which also gives him an edge.

As for Hogan being quite small - I think you will be quite relieved to hear that it's not only in golf that size isn't that important.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I think Nicklaus would win.

Nicklaus in his prime at Augusta was almost unbeatable

Horseballs

Sep 6, 2006
I wasn't being confrontational - just expressing my disagreement with your theory Horseballs. That's what forums and questions are for.

I'd back Hogan and 40 cigarettes over an avacado facepack and a massage from Sven from Stavanger any day. plus Ben wore a cardie which also gives him an edge.

As for Hogan being quite small - I think you will be quite relieved to hear that it's not only in golf that size isn't that important.
I'm not saying size has a direct correlation to success on the golf course. It's just an indicator that that the people playing golf today are much more athletic, which definitely improves your potential. I'm not seeing a lot of guys having success on tour today with Hogan's size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts