• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whoa! Faldo's Ryder Cup Captain's Picks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Ian Poulter
Paul Casey

No Darren Clarke. That surprised me.
And Poulter even after missing the cut this week.

And props to Faldo for not mucking about with a lengthy speech before announcing. He got right to it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Mrs. Doubtfire will not be happy with this news. :laugh:

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Mrs. Doubtfire will not be happy with this news. :laugh:

No doubt(fire). But I think he knew there was no way. Crappy season, animosity between him and Faldo, whiny.

But omitting Clarke still surprised me.

Poulter = 0 wins in 2008
Casey = 0 wins in 2008

Clarke = 2 wins in 2008

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
No doubt(fire). But I think he knew there was no way. Crappy season, animosity between him and Faldo, whiny.

Poulter = 0 wins in 2008
Casey = 0 wins in 2008

Clarke = 2 wins in 2008

To be honest, Clarke, Poulter, and Casey all would have made solid picks and Faldo had to choose 2 of the 3. Of course, if Faldo was planning on winning the cup, he would have chose Clarke as no one parties like the Irish do. :laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

Poulter = 0 wins in 2008
Casey = 0 wins in 2008

Clarke = 2 wins in 2008
I don't think you can correlate tour wins with Ryder Cup performance.

Examples:

Tiger
Scott Verplank
Monty

Granted, I am far too lazy to look up Poulter's record, but both he and Casey (especially him) have been playing well of late.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Let me get right to the point...

Faldo is an English xunt!! Always has been and always will be. As I suspected he would do, he picked two Englishmen! I think he has made a monumental mistake picking Poluter.

The simple fact that Poulter didn't appear at Gleneagles was enough evidence to me that he doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself. He could have tried to play his way onto the team, but chose to play in the US. Some team player that is. And his recent form has been rubbish. Since the Open he has sucked big time. And the way he has come across in the press over the past few days was a great excuse to bypass him over Clarke.

I think that he chose Poulter after the Open. I genuinely feel sorry for Clarke, who has played his heart out in an effort to qualify, playing some of the best golf of his career as of late.

Faldo showed form at the Seve trophy overlooking McGinley. Now he has shown his true colours in overlooking DC.

Apologies to all those English members here but it smacks of Faldo being a typically English xunt!! I for one would love to see Europe lose this Ryder Cup, with Poulter playing like an ass, for no more reason than to banish Faldo in total embarrassment.

I have never liked the man.

Rant over!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
If I were the captain, I would have picked Clarke and Monty, but that's just me. Monty just brings it in the RC, pure and simple.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Let me get right to the point...

Faldo is an English xunt!! Always has been and always will be. As I suspected he would do, he picked two Englishmen! I think he has made a monumental mistake picking Poluter.

The simple fact that Poulter didn't appear at Gleneagles was enough evidence to me that he doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself. He could have tried to play his way onto the team, but chose to play in the US. Some team player that is. And his recent form has been rubbish. Since the Open he has sucked big time. And the way he has come across in the press over the past few days was a great excuse to bypass him over Clarke.

I think that he chose Poulter after the Open. I genuinely feel sorry for Clarke, who has played his heart out in an effort to qualify, playing some of the best golf of his career as of late.

Faldo showed form at the Seve trophy overlooking McGinley. Now he has shown his true colours in overlooking DC.

Apologies to all those English members here but it smacks of Faldo being a typically English xunt!! I for one would love to see Europe lose this Ryder Cup, with Poulter playing like an ass, for no more reason than to banish Faldo in total embarrassment.

I have never liked the man.

Rant over!
Whoa! That is some heavy chit, mon!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Irish, now its great to see you are supporting your fellow countryman, but sadly, you are misguided, imho. Clarke has always been a wasted talent, far to many nights on the beer. Modern tournament golf has gone past him, he is fit one minute then back on the pies and ale the next. Simply not good enough imo. He is massively talented, a superb ball striker, but no way can someone that inconsistent be ever picked for the Ryder Cup. He will have to get fit, and STAY fit to get in. One of the best players out there, on his day. Shame he just can't put down the Ginsters.

As for Poulter, its clear as day the guy is very very focused at the moment, he is clearly hyper about his game and deserves his place due to his excellent world ranking. Clarke is 56, Poulter is 23.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
He is massively talented, a superb ball striker, but no way can someone that inconsistent be ever picked for the Ryder Cup.
I beleive he was one of Woosies picks in 2006.
He did ok in that one as I remember. 3 matches, 3 points.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Irish, now its great to see you are supporting your fellow countryman, but sadly, you are misguided, imho. Clarke has always been a wasted talent, far to many nights on the beer. Modern tournament golf has gone past him, he is fit one minute then back on the pies and ale the next. Simply not good enough imo. He is massively talented, a superb ball striker, but no way can someone that inconsistent be ever picked for the Ryder Cup. He will have to get fit, and STAY fit to get in. One of the best players out there, on his day. Shame he just can't put down the Ginsters.

As for Poulter, its clear as day the guy is very very focused at the moment, he is clearly hyper about his game and deserves his place due to his excellent world ranking. Clarke is 56, Poulter is 23.

Poulter focused? Wise up Dave. Poulter is his own best PR machine. Mouthy, yes, but as a player, what has he done since his 2nd in July? Nothing! Oh yes, he is the self professed next legitimate challenger to Woods! What a joke!

But to be honest, my gripe is not about Poulter, it is about Nick Dildo. I think he has made a huge mistake by not having enough breadth of experience on his team. I thought he would have picked either Monty or Clarke. Monty's was playing so badly so he was an easy decision. Now Faldo was quoted that he wanted form over experience. So why pick a guy that clearly is not in form right now over a winner from last week? It's a crazy pick, or one so full of arrogance it is beyond belief.

Clarke fell down the rankings after his wife died of cancer. We all know that. He is now climbing back up the rankings. I would bet money that by this time next year the rankings will be reversed.

As for the jibe about DC not being fit, it's a poor attempt at trying to justify an Englishman being picked over an Irishman. So Jimenez, Mickelson are suddenly Poster Boys for the World Tour Fitness regime. Give me a break. So Pulter is fit, does that make him a winner? Wise up Dave.

But just watch. Mark my words, 2009 will see Clarke fit and motivated, he will be back at his best. Poulter will finally disappear into obscurity, along with those other Englishmen who have not, and will NEVER make the mark, ie Casey, Donald, Rose, Doherty etc. Sure they are all focused, and fit. But I don't think any of them can hold a candle to Monty or Clarke.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
By the way Guys, I'm not having a pop at England or English golfers. This is a simply a tirade against Nick faldo, a man I have never really liked.

Apologies for venting this in an apparently racist way.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
English and Irish are different races?
icon10.gif

🔥 Latest posts