• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whoa! Faldo's Ryder Cup Captain's Picks

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
I agree with the guys saying Poulter and Casey WERE NOT the best choices available.

I would have certainly went with Monty and Clarke for sure. Experience, wins, a few extra years of play. . .vs. 1 player who had great potential this year, but didn't quite do anything to notice (Casey) and then you have Poulter.

Poulter should get his own talk show where he can bitch all he wants about whatever, and maybe add a fashion segment for his clothes.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Clarke fell down the rankings after his wife died of cancer. We all know that. He is now climbing back up the rankings. I would bet money that by this time next year the rankings will be reversed.

As for the jibe about DC not being fit, it's a poor attempt at trying to justify an Englishman being picked over an Irishman. So Jimenez, Mickelson are suddenly Poster Boys for the World Tour Fitness regime. Give me a break. So Pulter is fit, does that make him a winner? Wise up Dave.

But just watch. Mark my words, 2009 will see Clarke fit and motivated, he will be back at his best. Poulter will finally disappear into obscurity, along with those other Englishmen who have not, and will NEVER make the mark, ie Casey, Donald, Rose, Doherty etc. Sure they are all focused, and fit. But I don't think any of them can hold a candle to Monty or Clarke.

You've prooved my point!! The Ryder Cup is THIS year, not next! Clarke is simply not in good enough form to play NOW. Poulter is on the other hand, having a great year, he is number 23 in the world, something all you Poulter haters forget, and refuse to acknowledge. You are all letting emotion drive your opinions, Clarke may be more popular, Poulter may be arrogant, Faldo may be a prick, I couldn't care less.

But Poulter has PLAYED himself into the side by virtue of being in the worlds top 30.

And I'm sorry, but Clrkes wife needs to be dropped from the arguement now. There is no place for sentimentality. The guy is a well known heavy drinker, and when he demonstrates he can PLAY himself back into the team then great, he is in.

Monty over Poulter? Monty can't hit a barn door at 5 yards at the moment, you guys are talking utter nonsense. Casey and Poulter are fit, long, swinging well young players, and very focused players at the moment. Monty is a has-been and Clarke is nowhere near match fit.

It was an easy decision for Faldo. Monty is a whining old fart who needs to get a grip of his game and like Clarke, stop eating pies and start hitting the gym or he will have no more career.

Irish

May 9, 2007
come on guys let's not belittle Poulter, he's the number two in the world right :wow:

whatever Faldos rational for picking Poults (and it certainly wasn't to promote harmony in the dressing room) it leaves a bad taste that Poulter obviously already knew he was in the team before this week.

It shows how selfish he was staying in the US than going back to Scotland and trying to qualify on merit leaving Faldo free to pick somebody else....now thats a team player..

its a common perspective (be it true or not) that the Europeans have lorded it in the Ryder Cup over the past few years because of the spirit in the dressing room and the desire to play as a team and win for your teammates. In previous years we have always had players way down the world ranking compared to the US guys and we're stood toe to toe...the world rankings mean squat in ryder cup play..Poulter has one ryder cup point in a dead rubber....

Hmmmm, personally I wouldn't have picked Casey but at least he has a stellar ryder cup record

edit : Oh and Faldo is an arrogant twat...(and thats independent of what country he's from)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
LOL!!:)

"whatever Faldos rational for picking Poulter..."

Er, how about him living and playing in the US, and getting to number 23 in the world? Come on, lets not play silly:) The misplaced sentimentality for Clarke has no place for a US based Ryder Cup, this isn't the K Club, with massive tear jerking crowds driving on an in-form Calrke. This is an out of sorts Clarke who has had a terrible time since the K Club, his game is at 75% at best, even with 2 wins this year, he is still very inconsistent

I've just spent the last hour reading the forums, and all the arguements are based on dislike for Faldo and Poulter. Nothing productive at all. Poulter and Faldo are simply not popular.

But facts are facts, he is 23 in the world. Poulter has a right to be in.

Irish

May 9, 2007
I never stated that I would have picked Clarke, my point was simply that Poulter obviously knew he was in already and therefore didn't bother travelling to Gleneagles...

surely thats not the way to encourage a player to qualify on merit...

my second point was that world ranking means f-all in ryder cup play, otherwise the US would have wiped the floor with europe for the last few ryder cups...

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be there..

that said in my opinion world ranking and the fact that he's played in the US doesn't mean much (to me) - also he hasn't finished in the top ten this year in the US whereas others have (petterson has won on the US tour)

he hasn't got any matchplay pedigree, unlike Clarke who has performed well in the WGC matchplays (didn't he win one)

so lets look at the factors:

Top ten US finishes this year :

Poulter - 0
Clarke - 1

Wins this year
Poulter - 0
Clarke - 2

World ranking
Poulter - 23
Clarke - 56

Matchplay experiance
Edge - Clarke

Ryder Cup points
Edge - Clarke

last 2 weeks form:
Poulter MC MC
Clarke - Win, 44

being English and mates with Faldo
Edge - Poulter

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class="" vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=tourStatTournCellAlt vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class="" vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=tourStatTournCellAlt vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class="" vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=tourStatTournCellAlt vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class="" vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=tourStatTournCellAlt vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class="" vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=tourStatTournCellAlt vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class="" vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=tourStatTournCellAlt vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class="" vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=tourStatTournCellAlt vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol, like I said, its blind sentimentality. Clarke's game is simply to erratic to pick him. Poulter has played himself in, simple as that. The only reason he is being argued against is down to irrational emotional arguements because peoploe don't like him.

Its golf tournament, not a popularity contest.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I remember thi time last year I watched the tournament at Gleneagles, Mr Clarke had clearly been on the ale on friday and swore profusely infront of small kids. I followed him for a couple of holes and he didnt care about his game, he just wanted to nurse his hangover.

Irish

May 9, 2007
Poulter has played himself in, simple as that.

Not true, had he played himself in he wouldn't be a wildcard..

I quite like Poulter so I don't have a problem with him playing, its the underhandedness of it all that annoys me...

what was the point of Nick Dougherty et al busting their balls in the pissing rain in Scotland while the two boys miss the cut in Boston safe in the knowledge that they're in the team...

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Not true, had he played himself in he wouldn't be a wildcard..

I quite like Poulter so I don't have a problem with him playing, its the underhandedness of it all that annoys me...

what was the point of Nick Dougherty et al busting their balls in the pissing rain in Scotland while the two boys miss the cut in Boston safe in the knowledge that they're in the team...

LOl, no its because he has played predominantly in the US and of course the far east, so it was out of his hands.

He played himself in by virtue of his world ranking. Clarke is way down because he has been very inconsistent over the last two years, soemtimes genius, many times just hacking.

Irish

May 9, 2007
LOl, no its because he has played predominantly in the US and of course the far east, so it was out of his hands.

He played himself in by virtue of his world ranking. Clarke is way down because he has been very inconsistent over the last two years, soemtimes genius, many times just hacking.

again he didn't play himself in (hence he is a wildcard ) ...if he had played himself in on world ranking he would have been in the top five on the world points list ...and we wouldn't be having this discussion

<TABLE class=printTable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width=668 border=0><TBODY><TR class=ryderRow1><TD>1</TD><TD>Padraig HARRINGTON</TD><TD>343.03</TD></TR><TR class=ryderRow2><TD>2</TD><TD>Sergio GARCIA </TD><TD>278.46</TD></TR><TR class=ryderRow1><TD>3</TD><TD>Lee WESTWOOD</TD><TD>266.18</TD></TR><TR class=ryderRow2><TD>4</TD><TD>Henrik STENSON</TD><TD>245.13</TD></TR><TR class=ryderRow1><TD>5</TD><TD>Robert KARLSSON</TD><TD>204.76</TD></TR><TR class=ryderRow2><TD>6</TD><TD>Miguel Angel JIMÉNEZ</TD><TD>202.35</TD></TR><TR class=ryderRow1><TD>7</TD><TD>Justin ROSE</TD><TD>188.35</TD></TR><TR class=ryderRow2><TD>8</TD><TD>Ian POULTER</TD><TD>183.37</TD></TR><TR class=ryderRow1><TD>9</TD><TD>Graeme MCDOWELL </TD><TD>175.81</TD></TR><TR class=ryderRow2><TD>10</TD><TD>Martin KAYMER</TD><TD>152.17</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

brendy

Oct 20, 2007
Poulthard (I have renamed him the david coulthard of the golfing world, somehow he got onto the tour but has done nothing but disappoint since, though this is doing DC a little injustice) does not deserve to play even just for the fact that he withdrew from the US open ( a moderately pressurised competition oh?) at +14 withdrawing to save the embarassment of holing out on the 18th at 14 over or worse as he double bogeyed 14 and 15.

For what its worth, faldo casey and poulthard are all local boys within 75 miles of eachother. During the US open casey was the only other fella he confided in that he had a sore wrist, luke donald and his other playing partner had no idea why he walked off the course. Put ten other captains up there and ask yourself how many of them would have picked IP and not darren clarke? If faldo doesnt fail to deliver, it will be because of the other players grit and determination, not poulthards shanking abilities.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Irish, I think yopu are being deliberately obtuse. I clearly meant he played his way to the wildcard, by virtue of consistent quality golf, hence his world ranking.

As for the nonsense posted above, yet more drivel by someone who doesn't understand what good golf is. Although I agree Coulthard should just **** off.

🔥 Latest posts