• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whoa! Faldo's Ryder Cup Captain's Picks

brendy

Oct 20, 2007
Its as well we all have you to keep us right then eh Dave?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if you feel its wrong, mention so, however drivel to you may well be informative/entertaining or maybe even just good banter for the rest of us.
by the way, 2 wins in a year for any pro is considered a decent year, mortgage paid and sponsors are happy, what would it take to keep you happy on the tour?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yours was not an opinion, it was just drivel, I quote "Poulthard". So what exactly is your opinion? I can't fathom what your opinion is unless you actually post it, rather than just slagging off Faldo and Poulter, Coulthard, and whomever.

brendy

Oct 20, 2007
Dont get me wrong, I wholeheartedly support the Euro team, I believe Mcdowell etc will do well, I think we all saw this coming to a certain extent although not to the point of ignoring Darren Clarke. I believe this to be a negative move.
If I spend time in my life to type something onto a forum, I wont waste my time with Drivel Dave, it may not be to your literary perfectionist likings, I'll make no apology.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave is so busy defending the Realm here he cannot see how alone he is.

You're right Dave, last night I was clouded by emotion. However today I have read several press articles and read comments by fellow Shottalkers which confirm a few things:

1. Faldo is a xunt! Few of his fellow professional will respect him with this decision. He already was unpopular. Given that he snubbed Clarke and McGinley as vice captains too will only add to this. He wants to dominate the changing room.
2. There is now an unnecessary rift in the team. Westwood, Harrington, McDowell all would have made good partnerships. Now Faldo will get his Casey / Poulter Dreamteam. Let's see how these future champions will do. I think Azinger will be playing on all this big time.
3. Faldo had made his mind up about his wildcards a long time ago, based on who he feels he wants in his team. That is a captain's prerogative. But don't be so transparently obvious.
4. Clarke would have been a better pick than Poulter based on form, experience and what he can bring to the European team. Poulter will walk into that changing room an embarrassed and sheepish player, not what the European team needs right now. He knows he didn't deserve that spot over Clarke. And he knows it is because he got the nod from a mate.
5. When Coltart was picked by James at Brookline, at least he tried his heart out to make the team showing form right at the end. Based on Poluter's last few outings I think he will be shitting himself even more on the 1st tee in Kentucky. It will be very interesting to see how many outings Poulter gets. Maybe he will do what he did in the US Open and feign injury on the final day.

I may be proved very wrong withy all this but I forsee embarassment and humiliation, all down to a guy who was a good golfer but what on the surface appears to already be a successor to Mark James as the worst European captain of them all.

My last message to Faldo.

See this one Nick?
fingers.jpg

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Going by current form Clarke was an obvious pick over Poulter - in my opinion (forgetting about the flawed world ranking system). Poulter has just missed 2 cuts in a row, whilst on the other hand Clarke was knocking down pins last week. Clarke's wealth of experience in the Ryder Cup should also have gave him the upper hand, anyway I am not going to say anything else as I am just echoing what most others have said. Very very poor choice of Faldo's behalf.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol@ 'alone':) Brendy, if you post something other than 'Poulthard' or whatever, I will respond with a balanced reply.

Irish, I couldn't care less about being 'alone'. We will never agree, so no point going on. As much as you hate it Poulter is 23rd in the world and got picked because of that, and current form. Whether or not Faldo is **** , he won 6 majors and knows golf

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have not seen this much internal strife on the Euro side of the pond in a long time, maybe the US has a chance of winning this year's cup after all. :D

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I think you always have a chance of winning in the US. When they have top travel like cattle, actually having to share a plane with other humans, and stay in only 5 star hotels rather than the absolute luxury they normally have, your prima-donnas struggle.

As for Clarks current form, I am sure Faldo noticed the 4 missed 2 footers last weekend.

Faldo is hi sown man, and he has picked his own team. Good luck to them. Monty can go and spend five years slimming down ready for the Snrs tour, and hopefully Clarke will settle down and recover some consistent form ready for the next Ryder Cup. By then of course Poulter and Sabattini will be worlds number one and two though.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I think you always have a chance of winning in the US. When they have top travel like cattle, actually having to share a plane with other humans, and stay in only 5 star hotels rather than the absolute luxury they normally have, your prima-donnas struggle.

This year's team is a bit different than previous versions.

Exhibit A: Boo Weekley.

I do not think I have seen his name an the title "prima donna" used in the same sentance. :laugh:

Irish

May 9, 2007
on the flip side..now faldo has given Poulter the opportunity to show what he's got...hopefully he can prove he's got the balls to deliver when the pressure i really on...(which he hasn't so far on the biggest stage - remember he came from well off the pace in the open)

I like Poulter and am hoping he delivers and shuts us all up

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Will Poultie have to wear the same uniform as the rest of the team? Egads!

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Will Poultie have to wear the same uniform as the rest of the team? Egads!

I've always believed that Poulter's apparel choices are 100% marketing (and it worked).

Did anyone (besides me) see the Playing Lessons from the Pros with Poulter?

He wore a solid color polo (orange I think) and khaki shorts.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I've always believed that Poulter's apparel choices are 100% marketing (and it worked).

Did anyone (besides me) see the Playing Lessons from the Pros with Poulter?

He wore a solid color polo (orange I think) and khaki shorts.
I've always wondered how much the choice of apparel affects the level of play. Does Tiger's choice of red on Sunday help him play better? Did Player's persona as the "Black Knight" improve his mindset on the course?

My Dad told me not too long ago, "Dress brightly and with flair, and you stand a better chance of playing brightly." I though he was being ridiculous, but as time goes by, I'm not so sure he was wrong.

I think much of Poulter's wardrobe is marketing, but in some way I believe it helps him be a more confident golfer.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave

You're right mate, we shall never agree on this one. So be it.

Roll on.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
Regardless of the fact that many of us really don't care for Poulter's demeanor, I think there are enough arguments against him being picked to really wonder if its his play that got him on the team. Or was it simply British Pride.

The rumor about Poulter knowing he was being picked nearly a week before the choices were announced seems a bit unsettling. I don't think its very professional, whether he knew or not, for ANYONE to put that rumor out there. Whether it was Poulter or PoulterHaters.

He didn't have a single win, and his second place at the Open Championship was impressive, but its not really going to help his game at Valhalla. I understand he has been playing a lot in the US, may know conditions a little bit better than say Monty or Clarke.

But it still makes me wonder, how far UP FALDO'S ASS WAS POULTER???

He may suprise the crap out of all of us and play amazing that week, but I S E R I O U S L Y DOUBT it.

🔥 Latest posts