• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whos gonna make a big impression in 2008???

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I think Justin Rose, if he stays fit now he's over come his back problem will have a great season in 2008. He's had a good 2007 considering he couldn't play that much due to injury. He put in solid performances in each major and he's my tip for the Britsh Open next year & will probably win the european order of merit again. I've been watching him recently and he has a great swing. He hits his driver very straight and quite long but his approach play is his stand out feature, I'd say it's 2nd to none but we have a Tiger on tour don't we. I think he may even get to #2 in the world.

As long as he sticks with the Belly putter and keeps improving with it I think Sergio will finally come of age this next season. He has all the skills with all the other clubs in the bag he just needs to master the flat stick. He has improved greatly going to the Belly putter, which is backed up by the PGA Tour putting stats where he's come in from T196 in 2005 & T158 in 2006 to T15 for 2007. With the rest of his game being as good as it is, if he stays around T15 then Sergio could be in for a great season. I for one think that if Sergio had held on to win The Open this year it would have been the best victory I have ever seen. He was in red numbers from the 2nd tee for the rest of the Tournament. He was leader after rounds 1, 2 & 3. His iron striking and shot making was simply superb all week. He must have known in the playoff when he hit the pin on the par 3 and saw his ball keep on rolling for another 40ft that it wasn't to be.

As for a new comer, I've been nothing but impressed by Rory McIlroy. He has a superb swing and an old head on young shoulders. He seems very grounded and has come from a working class back ground. I know a lot of good young players who have a big attitude to go with it but this lad has impressed me. He seems to have kept his feet on the ground and not been carried away by his sucsess so far. He had a T3 & T4 finish in his 1st 3 events as a pro to clinch his Tour card for 2008. Watch out Tiger, Rory the Lion is coming to get ya!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Sergio might break through this year. Otherwise I don't think any of the young guns are going to do it yet. It will be a year of old pros, like Singh, Els, and the like stepping up. :)

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Mike Weir seemed to play really well during and after the presidents cup. It might be a sign of resurgence on his part. This may also just be Canadian Pride and the need to believe that he can actually compete again, but I liked what I saw in the last part of the season.

utahgolf

Just Getting Started
Nov 4, 2007
Northern Utah
Country
Camillo Villegas, Adam Scott, and Aaron Baddeley are due for a breakout season. Baddeley and Scott both finished decently high on the money list for the '07 season, respectively. I'm also ready to watch how Jason Day stacks up. With all the hype he has received in numerous articles about him "making a move" for number one in the world, should make for an interesting season to watch unfold.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
The two stand out golfers to be the big improvers next year are Justin Rose and Aaron Baddeley. They are both prodigiously talented juniors who have taken a little bit of time to adjust to the big time, but are now showing signs of living up to their potential. I think they are both good enough to win majors one day, but not necessarily next year.

Of the usual suspects I think Ernie is long overdue for a big year but I'm not sure he still has what it takes. Like many other players of his vintage, he has had one too many last group Sunday savagings by Tiger. Vijay might find that father time has finally caught up with him. Sergio will never get over his Open choke and will continue to underachive, and I think Harrington will still be suffering a golf hangover for the whole of 2008.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Is Rory going to be playing on the PGA tour? According to Jason Day he is the next big thing and looking to take a run at Tiger. :laugh: I think the only "run" will be the one feeling warm and squishy in his drawers, dripping down his leg and filling up his socks if he ever gets paired with Eldrick on a Sunday afternoon.
icon10.gif

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Is Rory going to be playing on the PGA tour? According to Jason Day he is the next big thing and looking to take a run at Tiger. :laugh: I think the only "run" will be the one dripping down his leg and filling up his socks if he ever gets paired with Eldrick on a Sunday afternoon.
icon10.gif

Rory's just got his European Tour card for next season. He seems to be quite a grounded charactor so I wouldn't be suprised if he does at least one full season just on the European tour with no visits to the US unless he qualifies for a major or the Ryder cup team, kind of learn his trade as a pro first.

Here's an interview he gave after his 1st pro event.
YouTube - Rory McIlroy interview

Here's a great shot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGRLK0XXPI

I've never heard of the boy Jason Day!!! Who is he and where has he come from? does he have a full US Tour Card for next season??? I'm gonna YouTube him now.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
not necessarily a breakout guy, but I am interested to see how Nick Flanagan does on the real tour. he was a pretty strong contender on the Nationwide tour winning his way onto the big stage.

jason

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Is Rory going to be playing on the PGA tour? According to Jason Day he is the next big thing and looking to take a run at Tiger. :laugh: I think the only "run" will be the one feeling warm and squishy in his drawers, dripping down his leg and filling up his socks if he ever gets paired with Eldrick on a Sunday afternoon.
icon10.gif

Rory is going to be playing the European tour for the 08 season. Tiger personally invited him to play in his tournament, but Rory kindly decline his invite as he had committed to playing in South Africa. I was talking to Rory on Saturday he was down for a lesson. he still comes once a month to PGA professional Michael bannon my coach and employer.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Wow, that's pretty cool Master. Be sure to get a few autographs.... and if he drops a french fry? Man, you could put it on Ebay!!
icon10.gif
(referring to an ESPN report I recently watched, Beckham's supposive dropped fry was on Ebay, lol).

I realized my wording in my above post was not the best. If there was any confusion I meant according to Jason Day, "he" (Jason Day) will be taking a run at Tiger and the #1 spot in the world. I say he should like crack the top 100 first before talking out his paper ahole. :laugh:

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I got a walker cup flag singed on Saturday. Also took a look in the bag. He is playing a 7.5 Titliest d4 and some type of titleist blades. And a black scotty Cameron that has no writing on it at all. I was hoping to get pics for this place but didn't really get the time and only had my phone on me. I will make sure I do next time.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Rory is going to be playing the European tour for the 08 season. Tiger personally invited him to play in his tournament, but Rory kindly decline his invite as he had committed to playing in South Africa. I was talking to Rory on Saturday he was down for a lesson. he still comes once a month to PGA professional Michael bannon my coach and employer.

Kool!!!

Although, I bet Rory wishes he would have taken Tiger up on his offer after blowing through the 80 barrier in the Opening round in south Africa. You'll have to have a word with you boss and find out what went wrong with the lesson, he will be askin for a refund!!! :laugh:

Still it's all part of the learning process look at Justin Rose when he turned pro he missed the cut in his 1st 15 events (or something like that) helped make him the man he is today.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I got a walker cup flag singed on Saturday. Also took a look in the bag. He is playing a 7.5 Titliest d4 and some type of titleist blades. And a black scotty Cameron that has no writing on it at all. I was hoping to get pics for this place but didn't really get the time and only had my phone on me. I will make sure I do next time.

SUPERB ! ! !

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Kool!!!

Although, I bet Rory wishes he would have taken Tiger up on his offer after blowing through the 80 barrier in the Opening round in south Africa. You'll have to have a word with you boss and find out what went wrong with the lesson, he will be askin for a refund!!! :laugh:

Still it's all part of the learning process look at Justin Rose when he turned pro he missed the cut in his 1st 15 events (or something like that) helped make him the man he is today.

I know I don't know what happened today I was shock especially after Michael said that it was the best he has be swinging it since the week before the open, but these things happen. I can;t wait to follow Rory next year I am predicting multiple wins.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If we knew the answer as to who would be the "newsmaker" of 2008, we could make some money in Vegas.
First, there is a group of stalwarts to consider. Furyk, Toms, Singh, Els, Michelson, Goosen... these all seem to be going backwards. Tired bodies and full pockets and families. I really think these, all, will settle on abbreviated schedules and be content with a couple top ten finishes for their year.
The next group includes Adam Scott, Baddely, Garcia, Sean O'Hare, and (the recently reclubbed) CHIII. Any one of these has the game to do great things. Every one of these seems to have allowed mental roadblocks from allowing them to attain "greatness". If one or two of these can put wife/girlfriend issues aside and get past a youthful "upchuck" on Sunday afternoon, we could see a couple from this group take a number of tournaments this year.
Given the above scenarios, I really think 2008 will see another group of Zach Johnson's and Woody Austin's. A couple of tourneys will be won be guys whose names we will have trouble remembering by the end of the year. Another tourney will see one of yesteryear's pop up. (Liclighter, Love III, Verplank, etc.) That "hero" probably won't have the dramatics of "Aqua Man", but we'll be just as pleased to see him win.
Where is the youth movement? Where are the 19 to 23 year olds who will take over the spotlight as Tiger and possee ride off into oblivion???

🔥 Latest posts