• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who's using a short driver?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
45-3/4" (standard Ping length) and I hit it straight.... usually. :D Almost always on the sweetspot (I look at the face after every drive).... :)

But I've got these stubby short arms, not like those long, buggy whips on MIKE1218 :)

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
45-3/4" (standard Ping length) and I hit it straight.... usually. :D Almost always on the sweetspot (I look at the face after every drive).... :)

But I've got these stubby short arms, not like those long, buggy whips on MIKE1218 :)

I've got long lean swimmer's muscles. 6'0", wrist to floor of 33.25".

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
My R7 is 45" & the Burner is 45.5", funny thing though is even though the Burners shaft is longer it's also generally the more accurate club.
Measured my 3w as well & it's 43".

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006

Is there some sort of table/guide for driver length based off wrist to floor and height? I'd be interested to see something like that. I'm 6"1' with about 35" on the dot wrist to floor. Also, that's measured standing straight up, arms to side, not in a golf stance?

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Is there some sort of table/guide for driver length based off wrist to floor and height? I'd be interested to see something like that. I'm 6"1' with about 35" on the dot wrist to floor. Also, that's measured standing straight up, arms to side, not in a golf stance?

Yes, that is just standing, no shoes on. In a stance my wrist to floor, again with no shoes, is 31.25". I think - it's kinda hard to measure that yourself.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

Thats' pretty close to mine also, 6'2" with just under 35" wrist to floor.

NiftyNiblick

Nov 12, 2008
44½" for me.
Upon fitting senior shafts and men's grips to the women's clubheads, I stayed with Ping's stock lengths. Ping's stock men's lengths for drivers and fairway metals would be too long and thus too upright for me.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Wishon has a static fitting guide for Driver and 5i in his book "The search for the perfect club" (Page 147), based on wrist to floor. 34-36 being 43.5"

32-34" being 43"

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have been playing a 44 inch driver for many years now. About 12 years ago I built one out to 45 inches as that was the "new thing" to do as all the OEM's were starting to come out with longer drivers and totally killed my accuracy. I may have one or two in the collection at 44.5 as Golfsmith started increasing their standard lengths without me realizing it, and at the time, I took everything they published at gospel because they used to avoid such silliness when Wishon was there (they have changed a bit since he left and not for the good.)

The first thing I do when I buy an OEM driver, now, is modify it. I know that I can not control a driver longer than 44 inches as well as a driver 44 inches long or shorter. When the club arrives off of eBay or some other online club pimp, the first thing I do is pull the shaft, shorten it to a 44 inch playing length, spine align it, and re-weight the club back to my specs. When testing out an OEM club, I always end up shortening up the club by gripping down an inch or two after a few swings at full length to see how much better it players at a shorter length.

45 inch and 46 inch long drivers are just too long for the majority of the golfing population.

Snow

Sep 15, 2008
Driver is 45 and fairways 43,42 but I also choke down 1 inch on these clubs.
It really seems to help with the control.Been doing this since my HS days and Im a old fart now..

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I made my current driver to 44 and 1/4 inch... My previous driver was over 45 inches and I sprayed it all over the course. I tried choking up on it, but it didnt feel right.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Popped the grip off my R7 today & hacked an inch off the shaft, now it plays right at 44". Was going to chop the Burners too but Zaphod must have really stuck the grip on good. Didn't have another one to throw on since I would have to cut that one off. Anyways that driver is playing real close to 46" & I am going to take it down to 44.5".

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online