• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why 14 clubs??

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I won’t bother with trying to be accurate with dates and times, I’m just posting this more to start a general discussion and to bounce ideas off one another. Yes, I do realize this is dangerous! LOL

As mentioned in another thread, I played my first round of 2021 on Sunday. Didn’t play the best, but it was fun just being out there swinging clubs. Most notably, I did so carrying just 10 clubs. As you can see in my signature, my ‘normal’ set is comprised of the 14 club max, as I know most golfers sets are. But why?? It wasn’t until the 50’s or 60’s when a limit on clubs was even put in place. Hogan would carry 19 clubs or something crazy like that. Moe Norman had a car full of equipment!

The set I used on Sunday was comprised of a; D, 5w, 5, 7, 9, W, 52, 56, 60, P. I loaded up on short irons, perhaps for obvious reasons, the short game scores! Truthfully I could have played probably without one or two more clubs, but I did call on each and every single one I had. I also didn’t miss any of the clubs that I didn’t have. That’s probably the part that most surprised me. I was never in between clubs, it was pretty obvious when I looked at the yardage what club I was using. There are two shots in particular from the round that stick out in my mind, that further add to my question of why 14 clubs?? The 3rd hole was a tight drive par 4, I knew immediately driver was not the club, had my 3w been in the bag, I would’ve hit it. Knowing full well that club and I don’t get along the best... instead I hit a beautiful 5w landing just inside 150. The second was on the par 3 7th, had 144 to the hole, a full 8i all day long. But a full 8 carries a larger chance of error, for me at least. Instead I gripped down on my 7i took a much more controlled swing and flew the ball 144.5 yds just right of the hole. Chipped in for birdie from there! This game is hard enough as it is, I’m starting to think carrying less clubs makes it a little easier?!?!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
That set sounds good, but personally, I’ll drop the 60, and add an 8i. My irons are close to traditional loft.. 7 is 34. I just like the 8.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I believe, and I've said it before, that most amateurs would be better off(score better) leaving all the woods at home and hitting a reduced iron set as well. I'm including myself in this.

I can hit my 5i 200y to within acceptable tolerance of my intended target line way more often than I can hit my driver 270 within acceptable tolerance. I would spend more time in the fairway and less time looking for lost balls. Most par 5 around me are < 500y and I don't think I've ever seen one >600y so my 5i should get me to all the par 5's in regulation if I do my part. So hitting the driver isn't really helping me score that much.

Having bigger steps between irons helps because there's less decision making. Stand on my 7 or hit a light 6? Now it's just the 5 is way too long so I'll hit my 7 and get close. I have less in my head during the swing and therefore tend to hit things more solidly which leads to better results most of the time.

I actually like having less wedges too. I feel like having 2 wedges that you are 100% comfortable with is better than having 4 that you are 50% comfortable with. Once you've 'mastered' one wedge, add another one and so on. Me picking between a 52 and a 54 is like an elephant picking between a 2" and a 4" paintbrush. Simply isn't going to matter in the end.

I've only done this once though. Why? Because it's a pain the ass. I have to remove the clubs in my bag...find a place for them that the kids won't screw with them, put them back in after the round, go through the 'where the hell did I leave my gap wedge' feeling at the course 7 times because I forgot that I left that one at home, and people look at me weird when I have 5 clubs in my bag...lol

So I just grab my clubs and go to the course to drink beer and have fun with my buddies. I'm never going to be good at golf and I kind of don't care. I'm there to have fun and I'm at the point where I don't have to score well to have fun.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
That set sounds good, but personally, I’ll drop the 60, and add an 8i. My irons are close to traditional loft.. 7 is 34. I just like the 8.
I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. There is likely hundreds of combinations that will work. Why I chose what I did? It’s what I felt at the time. Next time, I will have W-48, 54, 60. Try a 6* loft gap...
While this wasn’t my exact thought process, to play with a minimalist set. I agree 100% with the thought process behind the idea. However, like EClark also mentioned, hardly ever do I actually do this because of; the effort required, hidden implications and because I too am just lazy. I wanna go swing my clubs, have a couple beers with my friends and have fun!!

Still... can’t help but wonder and will likely cause me to experiment with this idea more. If maybe I wouldn’t actually have MORE fun playing with a few less clubs?!?!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
One guy in our group only carries 8 or 9 clubs. I've played with him close to 20 years and he's never carried more. Could play so much better if he would toss a couple more clubs in the bag. Too much decision as to how to hard or soft to swing a single club. Most all the rest of our group carries right close to the 14 max. Yes, there are days you will find 15 in my bag.
I play best when I'm not trying to "stretch" a club. I would rather take one club longer and swing easy than try to swing hard, pushing or pulling the shot.
We have postage stamp greens. If you try to run a ball on, it is apt to take a crazy bounce as it hits the approach. You need to land the ball on the green and have it stop.
I haven't had the driver in the bag for a couple weeks. I hit the Mini 1.5 almost as far as the driver... and more accurately. With our tree lined fairways, just being in the fairway isn't enough. On some holes, it's at least one stroke difference if you are on the right instead of on the left. Accuracy off the tee is extremely important.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
One guy in our group only carries 8 or 9 clubs. I've played with him close to 20 years and he's never carried more. Could play so much better if he would toss a couple more clubs in the bag. Too much decision as to how to hard or soft to swing a single club. Most all the rest of our group carries right close to the 14 max. Yes, there are days you will find 15 in my bag.
I play best when I'm not trying to "stretch" a club. I would rather take one club longer and swing easy than try to swing hard, pushing or pulling the shot.
We have postage stamp greens. If you try to run a ball on, it is apt to take a crazy bounce as it hits the approach. You need to land the ball on the green and have it stop.
I haven't had the driver in the bag for a couple weeks. I hit the Mini 1.5 almost as far as the driver... and more accurately. With our tree lined fairways, just being in the fairway isn't enough. On some holes, it's at least one stroke difference if you are on the right instead of on the left. Accuracy off the tee is extremely important.
Good to hear from you Limp! Hope everything is going well at home. That was quite the incision picture!!! 🤢

I’m not really sure where the limit would be for myself. Dunno if I could go as low as 8 clubs... Again, I’m not really trying to play minimalist golf. There’s a certain level of confidence and skill involved for that. For me this is just a question of why I’m carrying clubs; I don’t hardly ever use. Or when I do decide to its 50/50 on shot outcome. Speaking of my own game, 3w has always been a bit of a struggle. Also really liked the lack of I guess options, or questions?!?! I had during the round... especially off the tee and most notably from my own round, second shots on the two par 5’s.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I recently put together a short set for walking and really like it.
D, 5w, 4h, 5i, 7i, 8i, pw, gw, sw, p
The irons are all bent either 1° strong or weak to get 6° gaps.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I recently put together a short set for walking and really like it.
D, 5w, 4h, 5i, 7i, 8i, pw, gw, sw, p
The irons are all bent either 1° strong or weak to get 6° gaps.
That’s a beauty setup!! I believe wholeheartedly, the ‘average’ player would benefit from playing a similar setup!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
I’ll be taking 16 clubs to the next outing!!

although that’s because I want to hit done range balls with the extra two. Might carry them on to the course
Just a 5 hybrid and a different 6I

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I’ll be taking 16 clubs to the next outing!!

although that’s because I want to hit done range balls with the extra two. Might carry them on to the course
Just a 5 hybrid and a different 6I
LOL, that’s one way to do it for sure. Must admit, have also gone that way too. Carrying a couple testers along.

This may change in the future, but for now my Eye2’s are going to be part of a short set used when walking early and later in the season... until I change my mind again!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
A 97 today despite the fact I couldn’t hit any of my irons!! Lol!
Two putted a lot, that felt good 😀
Apparently all I needed was a Driver and a putter !

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
A 97 today despite the fact I couldn’t hit any of my irons!! Lol!
Two putted a lot, that felt good 😀
Apparently all I needed was a Driver and a putter !
Two putts feel good, period!! Carrying just a driver and putter might be a little tricky, but super light!

🔥 Latest posts