• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why 14 clubs??

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Lol! After talking to a few other good players, I’m advised to now leave the driver at home and work on the 3 wood off the tee. They did assure me my scores will go way high for a while haha

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
There are TONS of threads about Minimalist golf and "why not 14+?". Theories and justifications abound. A lot depends on your skill level and ability to hit the same club different distances. In my case, I hit my driver pretty consistently down the fairway (but 200 yds or less). I play from tees that are typically 5500 yards, so on par 5s, I can reach in regulation and most par4s are reach-able. That being said, at a 13 handicap, I'm not the best ball striker (high-functioning hacker) so I miss a lot of greens and need to chip for up-and-down par attempts. That boils down to me needing a driver, 5w, 6h, 8i, 9i, W, GW, SW, putter. so I typically carry 8 to 9 clubs.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
There are TONS of threads about Minimalist golf and "why not 14+?". Theories and justifications abound. A lot depends on your skill level and ability to hit the same club different distances. In my case, I hit my driver pretty consistently down the fairway (but 200 yds or less). I play from tees that are typically 5500 yards, so on par 5s, I can reach in regulation and most par4s are reach-able. That being said, at a 13 handicap, I'm not the best ball striker (high-functioning hacker) so I miss a lot of greens and need to chip for up-and-down par attempts. That boils down to me needing a driver, 5w, 6h, 8i, 9i, W, GW, SW, putter. so I typically carry 8 to 9 clubs.
That’s a set that suits your on course needs, and quite well too, I’d say. If it isn’t broke, why fix it?? This is also my goal with the retro half set I’ve got going. I’m not planning on setting any course records with it, although guess I could?!?! It’s more geared towards my enjoyment and just maybe, extending my season a tad.

For me, the idea of minimalist golf, or set. I go as far back as to where this crazy game originated. There weren’t numbers on clubs, they had names. Like Brassie, Niblick and Spoon. I can only assume these clubs served a variety of uses on course during your round. A player could like take 3 or 4 in hand and go play. And the shafts were wood!!

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
Every now and then when I've been playing badly, I transfer 7 or 8 essential clubs from my full regalia - which includes 13-14 clubs in a full bag on a motorized cart; as well as all the gimmicks and gadgets you can think of, gps distance finder, water bottle, emergency kit of band aids, adhesive tape, sun block, some money just in case, old balls, new balls, bags of tees, old gloves, new gloves, a windbreaker, an umbrella, ball washer, brushes - and I'm just getting started. I leave that all home. I take this super light bag and the essential clubs - a small towel, a bottle of water, 7 or 8 balls and a handful of tees. All in a light carry bag. It's amazingly light - goes in the back of my car with such ease. I seldom really need anything I've left behind, and I feel like playing this way captures the true essence of the game.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I take this super light bag and the essential clubs - a small towel, a bottle of water, 7 or 8 balls and a handful of tees. All in a light carry bag. It's amazingly light - goes in the back of my car with such ease. I seldom really need anything I've left behind, and I feel like playing this way captures the true essence of the game.
This was 100% my experience, I didn’t miss a single thing that was left behind. Well perhaps the missing umbrella when thunder began to rumble on the 8th...

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Yeah, we don't need 14 clubs. I played 9 holes and shot 41 with a 6 iron. but for 18 holes and a 70, I prefer to have a full bag of 14.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Yeah, we don't need 14 clubs. I played 9 holes and shot 41 with a 6 iron. but for 18 holes and a 70, I prefer to have a full bag of 14.
I’ve played in several “one club” staff tournaments while working on course maintenance over the years. Always a good time and by the time you are on the second tee, you have four clubs because teammates start interchanging clubs.

Libre said it best, “playing with just the essential clubs.” IMO anyway, but just how many clubs would you consider essential to your round?? Even I have to think about that for a second.

Old Chuckie T

Loveable Linkster
Jul 22, 2018
Boston
Country
Fewer than 14 clubs?
How do you get down to 14?

Oh, oh!.png

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Fewer than 14 clubs?
How do you get down to 14?

View attachment 32393
My cart bag has 15 holes. If the manufacturer didn't mean for them all to have a club in them, it wouldn't have been made that way. So... if we look at the Rules of Golf... Rule No. VIII.b.4.C.xii.8345 in Appendix 9... I believe we get an exemption for carrying 15!!!!! :>)

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
My cart bag has 15 holes. If the manufacturer didn't mean for them all to have a club in them, it wouldn't have been made that way. So... if we look at the Rules of Golf... Rule No. VIII.b.4.C.xii.8345 in Appendix 9... I believe we get an exemption for carrying 15!!!!! :>)
Noticed a lot of cart bags have that extra 15th spot. I’d always thought that’s where the club you are demo’ing went??? 😋

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Noticed a lot of cart bags have that extra 15th spot. I’d always thought that’s where the club you are demo’ing went??? 😋
An extra club easily fits in the umbrella slot, too. I'm really thinking that makes a total of 16 perfectly legal.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
An extra club easily fits in the umbrella slot, too. I'm really thinking that makes a total of 16 perfectly legal.
Only 16??? Haha. Speaking of umbrellas though and the alignment sticks, orange whips and all the other gizmos we see in our bags... Do they, or do they not also count as ‘clubs’ under the wonderfully confusing rules of golf?!?! Just saying... seems like some people are walking around with 20+ clubs.

Old Chuckie T

Loveable Linkster
Jul 22, 2018
Boston
Country
Modern lofts make it hard to configure a classic set composition in only fourteen clubs.

If the 9-iron is stronger than 42º, it's hard to go with only three wedges.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
My current bag goes as follows:
Driver
2h
4h
5i (28°)