• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why 64*?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
There's been several people at my club buy 64* wedges. lol and I haven't found one of them that can hit it :thumbs up:

Seriously though... does anyone here carry a 64? I know there are a couple of guys on Tour that carry them. I honestly just don't understand the need for it. I carry a 58*.. and if I need to get straight up and straight down quick I just lay that sucker open and flop it. Seems like if you laid a 64 open you'd hit yourself in the face with the ball :faintthud

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I am going to advertise my driver as a LH 189º.....

Its the same reason those guys are playing 7º Drivers with XXX shafts....too much testosterone, not enough brains....

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I carry a 60º, and while I've been tempted to pick up a 64º, I can't bring myself to spend/waste the money on one. Maybe if I found one for cheap enough I'd give it a try. But like you, I can't really imagine a shot I couldn't make with my 60º the 64º would be better at.

The golf shop I frequent has a 78º wedge, just for display. WTF? Why could you need that much loft? And how by chance did they hit upon 78º? Why not 75º, or 80º?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
:laugh:
Yes, and because I practice a great deal with the club I am very affective.

For me, because I use distance regulation in my short game (Pelz theory), and was not real good with the 10:30 setup, I found myself with a distance gap between about 40-60 yards that I was uncomfortable. I rarely ever open up a wedge out of anything other than rough with a 56*, and is a big part of the logic in owning a 64* wedge. It gives you many more options where you do not have to open the club up and run that risk. I am no less effective with my 64* than my 60*, 56*, or 52*. As a result of owning one, I literally have no gaps between the green and 105 yards where I do not have the utmost confidence over any other shot in that range.

Actually my favorite shot in all golf to that point was a 70-75 60* LW, I am now just as confident in a 55-60 yard 64* XW. My primary layup distance I aim for is 70. I used to not do so, because if I got between 40-60 yards I was screwed. Now I have that buffer zone with my XW if I go past 70.

Here is more discussion and explanation from when I got mine. I have no question it has a permanent spot in my bag at this point.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/22856-64-wedge.html

edit - And BTW, up until I used Pelz method, and found it worked fairly well for me, I always thought he was psychotic for recommending a 64*. I soon realized I needed one to fill the gap I mentioned. Before I was as equally comfortable between green and 60*, because it was all guess work and prayer (or feel, for a better term;)). ... and I considered myself to have a good shortgame prior.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I guess another question would be whether I would recommend one. The answer is NO, unless you already have a 60* and are willing to dedicate the practice time, and have the utmost confidence in the club. Although the same could likely be said about owning a 60* in relation to a 56*. I do not usually recommend a 60* to people, although there is no question it is a necessity for me and I spend the majority of practice time with my wedges.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Why not 64*? Why do we ho a new driver that promises to get us 10 more yards. Why do we have even numbered irons instead of just 3-5-7-9? It fills a gap. Whether its the one for loft between clubs or the one between our ears, it is perceived to be a blessing to our game. I say if you got room in your bag, fill it.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Why not 64*? Why do we ho a new driver that promises to get us 10 more yards. Why do we have even numbered irons instead of just 3-5-7-9? It fills a gap. Whether its the one for loft between clubs or the one between our ears, it is perceived to be a blessing to our game. I say if you got room in your bag, fill it.
I have always used the logic in the argument with a LW, in that I think far more people would be better off not using a driver for damage control because they do not know when to take it out of their hands, which the same can be said about a 60*.

After playing the 64* this year, I have kind of adopted the theory similar to what you mention. Why carry the 4,6,8. Could you just choke down on one of the others? Or would you try and open the face up on a 3i to get the same affect of a 4i?

If I had unlimited space in my bag, I would likely have a 68* at this point. I don't really think a 60* or 64* are hard to hit. I think the part that is hard is not being tempted to use them in a situation where it presents a big risk. I think their difficulty is a mental battle and not a physical one. Or as I have always said, you need to know when not to use one. Actually hitting a standard 64* wedge from 55-60 yards presents much less risk than trying to open up say a 60* or 56* or trying to hit a knockdown shot. I am much more comfortable hitting a normal shot with my 64* than I am with probably any club longer than my 9i. I am not tempted with trying a flop shot with my 7w, why would I try and do the same with any wedge if it shows little chance for success.

I guess my thought process with golf is not necessarily weigh risk vs. reward. I more eliminate all risk, then contemplate whatever reward I can go after with what is left over.

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
I use a 64*. It replaced a 73*. No kidding. Same as the reasons above. It fills a gap. I hit it 85 yards with a full swing. My next wedge up is a 58* (105 yards), then a 52* (125y). PW is 47* (145y). For me, it filled a need as I'm fairly long and have a lot of wedges into greens.

The 6* gaps can be awkward at times and I'm thinking of switching the 58* out for a 60* and a 56*, but don't know which club to drop. Probably would get rid of the 4i and make the 5i stronger.

🔥 Latest posts