• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why are long irons so hard to hit well?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
warbirdlover said:
I shortened my backswing about 15 years ago and the results were amazing. I can now ALWAYS make solid contact and the ball goes much farther then when I didn't hit the sweet spot. I immediately dropped 10 strokes per 9. No kidding. The big backswing is overrated. Don't believe me? Try it at the range.

Thats what has helped me the most aswell..shortening the backswing.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
That's another thing Wishon writes about. If you are going to use hybrids to replace a long iron, use the hybrid to actually replace the long iron. i.e. use the same loft, shaft, and length increment between clubs.

He writes the only difference you should have between, say, your 5 Iron and your 4 Hybrid is that you have a hybrid head on the end of the shaft instead of an iron head. If your clubs increment by 1/2", so should the hybrid. If you have steel shafts in your irons, so should your hybrids.

Unfortunately, most hybrid makers put graphite shafts into their hybrids. Also, most component hybrids are .335 hosel bore instead of .370 or .355t as with irons. And another thing, as noted above, most have a closed, and sometimes offset, clubface.

If you truly want your hybrids to perform as your long irons "should", hopefully you can find/build either a club, or components, that is directly in line with your set makeup.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Wishon also says you can use a 7-wood to replace your 3-iron etc. That's the route I'm taking. I'm not sold on hybrids yet.

🔥 Latest posts