• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why are Putters made....

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Jeez you need attention too? What is this Needy Yankee day?

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
When you set the sole of a lot of putters flat behind the ball, why does it seem like they have built the club like they intend for you to play the ball off your forward foot instead of center? Some putter handles lean back a lot. Obviously its on purpose but the putters dont come with instructions. My best guess is that they dont intend for you to set up with the putter flat on the ground.

Like maybe they intend a forward press?

If they do intend a forward press the weighting and balance sure is jacked up.

Last edited:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
When you set the sole of a lot of putters flat behind the ball, why does it seem like they have built the club like they intend for you to play the ball off your forward foot instead of center? Some putter handles lean back a lot. Obviously its on purpose but the putters dont come with instructions. My best guess is that they dont intend for you to set up with the putter flat on the ground.

Like maybe they intend a forward press?

If they do intend a forward press the weighting and balance sure is jacked up.
All the putters I have ever owned I have never noticed that issue. Of course I don't use the fancy saber tooth kind that you have pictured there. I've always used anser style putter until this last one that is heel shafted.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Any person can putt their best with any putter. Its how much you use it not how the putter is built.

I agree with find one you like and stick with it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Any person can putt their best with any putter. Its how much you use it not how the putter is built.

I agree with find one you like and stick with it.
Just to expand what Lark is saying, having 11 putters is doing more harm than good. Pick one, sell the rest.

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I like the metalx 7center shaft. Good mass, good weight good balance. Good rotation to close. Tweaked it a degree or two to suit me. The last one was the White Ice 7CS but its head was pretty light. The tanks are out now but they are too heavy.

The other putter I have are all too much mass, too little, too light or to heavy etc. I actually do sell clubs, mainly in season when demand is higher.

But all of that is actually the simple part and the routine, setup, head rotation and swing path are where I am at now. Thats why I was asking. I think those are the most important things, besides reading the green of course.

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Oh sure, I dont do a lot more than check them anymore. If I tweak one its mild, since a degree is worth an inch of handle position roughly.

🔥 Latest posts