• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why are standard graphite shafted irons

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
longer than steel shafted irons? I'm hitting steel shafted Apex blades better than graphite shafted Edge CBs. I think the extra length is throwing my swing off.

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
if im correct, its to ballance out the weight so say a 5 iron with a graphite shaft feels about the same weight as a 5 iron with a steel shaft

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Swingweight. With the lighter shaft in a graphite iron they would need to add head weight to make it the same swingweight as steel shafted club. Unless you have adjutable weight technology or build a seperate line of graphite weighted club heads, it is easier to make the shafts a half inch longer to maintain the swingweight.

Steel shafted clubs are easier to swingweight with tungsten powder down the shaft, you can do it to a graphite shafted club but as the walls on a graphtie shafted club are thicker there is less volume in the lower portion of the shaft to put powder in. That restriction requires more powder to placed down the shaft as the added weight is moving higher up the shaft moving the center of gravity higher up the shaft and potentially throwing off the balance of the club.

You could always lead tape the club with the added weight, but I do not think that would sell well on the showroom floor.

One way to avoid this issue is to buy heavier weighted or "Tour Weighted" graphite shafts that have similar weights to steel shafts, but they are much harder to find than the mainstream graphite shafts and usually only come in stiffer flexes.

Personally, I rather play with the correct length of club and live with a lighter swingweight. You can always chop off the extra length and add some lead tape to the head to solve the swingweight issue or order the clubs 1/2" under standard length to get a correct length club if the manufacturer offers that option.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I bought mine (both steel and graphite) as standard off the rack. I'm looking forward to the clubfitting session I have set for next month; maybe it's the arrows after all. :D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Ah yes, the Dana Upshaw session. I have heard/read good things about him. He should be able to set your equipment issues straight and then you can go back to blaming yourself again. :D

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
ualtim said:
Ah yes, the Dana Upshaw session. I have heard/read good things about him. He should be able to set your equipment issues straight and then you can go back to blaming yourself again. :D

Screw that. I can always blame those noisy butterflies in the far meadow.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.