• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why can't you repair spike marks?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I've never really understood this rule. I saw it cost AK a stroke last week on tv. Most of the rules of golf I understand the thought process behind it, but I don't really get this one. You can fix ball marks on the green, but you can't repair and area where some tard drug their feet. Anyone understand why?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
It's an absurd ruling, IMO. If I'm playing with a guy, even for money, I will always let him repair the green so long as he allows me the same privilege. I'm actually in the opinion that you ought to move your ball laterally on the green if there's some obvious impediment. Putts are easy enough to miss without having to deal with poor upkeep or inconsiderate golfers' messes.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I dunno, Kinda like if your ball ends up in another golfers divot, play it where it lies. Just the rub of the green.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm not of the opinion that you should ever be penalized for a perfect shot, or someone else's lack of consideration. I'll play a ball down in a divot as well, but I'd just as soon like to see local rules that allow a clublength drop no closer to the hole if your ball comes to rest in a divot.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have no problem playing out of a divot, but a spike mark on the green, thats rediculous, IMHO.

The grounds crew here is horrible, when they move a pin, the old placement may be a 1/2 inch below or above the green surface. Everyone here that I play with will allow you to move your ball laterally to avoid it if needed. Makes more sense to me.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I have no problem playing out of a divot, but a spike mark on the green, thats rediculous, IMHO.

The grounds crew here is horrible, when they move a pin, the old placement may be a 1/2 inch below or above the green surface. Everyone here that I play with will allow you to move your ball laterally to avoid it if needed. Makes more sense to me.

I'm with you on this. We have a local rule(winter rule) that you can play it up in the fairway a scorecard length for the simple reason that divots don't grow back during the winter for the most part. Play it down in the rough of course.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
It wouldn't matter to me....i can't putt anyway so the spike marks would probably have more of a chance of putting the ball on the right track than ti does of knocking it off

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
I'm of the opinion that the rule was enacted because the most concentrated area of spike marks would be located around the hole. If one was unscrupulous, one could make "repairs" that might help guide the ball into the cup (i.e. tamping down the marks as to make a little indent that would favor a slow moving ball into the hole)

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
you can actually repair spike marks, you just have to putt FIRST. lol.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm of the opinion that the rule was enacted because the most concentrated area of spike marks would be located around the hole. If one was unscrupulous, one could make "repairs" that might help guide the ball into the cup (i.e. tamping down the marks as to make a little indent that would favor a slow moving ball into the hole)

This is the best answer to a question in a long time. I am totally satisfied with this answer.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
If the pro's could fix spike marks prior to putting it would take them 9 hours to play a round of golf. A guy like Furyk may never actually get done.

lucystone

Apr 8, 2010
I'm actually in the opinion that you ought to move your ball laterally on the green if there's some obvious impediment. Putts are easy enough to miss without having to deal with poor upkeep or inconsiderate golfers' messes.
No LINKS!

🔥 Latest posts