• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do few golfers practice properly?

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Last night, I went back to a range for the first time in a long time, and with the idea of some purposes.

First purpose--try to get some idea how far I'm hitting these irons: PW, 9I, 7I, 5I. Why? Because I'm kinda clueless right now, I had stopped playing for 5 years, and last year I was going through the worst period of what's called frozen shoulder. My shoulder is getting better again, but I can't make a full backswing anymore, which may be a good thing in terms of direction if not distance.

Second purpose, to concentrate on 3 elements, the Vardon overlap grip which I first begin using on Monday, and which let me break 100 for the first time ever on a golf course, then concentrate on striking down at the ball because that's always been a problem for me, and when I first went out on a course a couple weeks ago, I was scared that grounding the club would make my shoulder hurt, and finally, after striking the ball, making a full follow through towards the target.

I didn't get a good yardage sense, as the markers on the range were supposed to be these colored flags. The flags had no colors. Oops, oh well, I just worked on hitting straight shots, and if I scuffled one, think about what went wrong, and then making myself focus on the mental routine I want in my head before swinging.

Complete change from what I did when I was younger, which was shank a few irons, then start bashing the hell out of woods.

It was a revelation to me when going out again. I was shorter, but I played smarter, and it made me realize that bogey golf is achievable, if you make solid strikes with the irons, work on the short game and putting.

44 putts in the round on Monday. I need to work on the putting, too.

🔥 Latest posts