• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do I play golf?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
If you can'yt enjoy 4 hours in the fresh air playing a game then you don't deserve to play well.Anyone fortunate to live a life on this earth that includes the income and time neccessary to play golf should enjoy every minute of it.We are part of the lucky 2% of people on this planet able to do this.

Thats my 2p.Golf is a privilege,enjoy every minute of it.Its not important,family,kids and life are important,golf isn't.But its a damn fine privilege all the same.

Enjoy it.

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
Wow, I have read what IG posted once before but I am so happy I decieded to read those today. I just got back from a absoutley terrible round. I got a 65 on a par 36 9-hole course. I haven't done that since I first started golfing. And I got mad because of how bad I did and how I have been doing the past month. I just can't seem to have a good round. I have been getting mad and trying to hard instead of giving 110% and having a good time I was just being plain hard on myself and giving 95% then getting more mad and this cycle continues. I am going out to play that same 9 this evening in about an hour because a friend asked me to play. (I have a membership). So tonight instead of getting mad im just gonna laugh and have a good time. And remember why 3 years ago I start this game. Why did it start because it was so much fun. I could only go once a week when I first started and I would beg my parents for more rounds of golf and things. And I would get really excited about going out and playing. So tonight I am going to do the same thing. I am going to go out there and just have a great time doing what I love to do with my friends. And right now I can't wait to go play. Thanks IG for posting this.

:D

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'd say, it's the fact that ONE bad shot makes you think "Okay, next time, I'm going to beat this score by a stroke because I'm NOT going to do that." Not sure what'll happen when you don't hit a bad shot.

Lion Forests.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Hah, I suppose so. Well, I've thought more about the topic, and I must say, there are some experiences you have when you're golfing that you just don't forget.

My friend Josh (my partner 90% of the time) and I were on the last hole, about 140 yards long toward the clubhouse and the little minigolf course. Josh is a big fellow, 6'3" and probably 220 pounds. He tees up with a 7 iron. Best shot he ever hit, but.. not in the way you're thinking. It went over the green, another 20 yards of carry, and landed IN the mini-golf course. Thank goodness no one was hurt, but, WOW.

Another day, another course with Josh. A 165 yard hole through a line of trees off the tee with a good view of the green. This is our favorite course, and I hit a high 7-wood and overshot the green by about 10 feet. There's a steep hill on the other side that slopes toward the green, but my ball stuck somehow. Go Figure, especially since I hit green with that club nearly every time on that tee. Big Josh, he tees off with his aged 7 wood, and it hits the slope to the left of the green. It bounces, and rolls onto the green. It continues to roll, toward the hole. Rolls.. rolls.. disappears. Hole-In-One.

He still shot a 60 on 9 holes, which we agreed was nearly as impressive as the hole-in-one itself. He shot a 59 on 8 holes. I had a 44 that day, but I didn't have a hole-in-one.

Can't get holes-in-ones in football, huh?

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i've thought about this long and hard and really don't have much to show for it.....

i play for that one shot that is looming around the corner that pays for all the clubs, lessons, balls, greens fees, that one magical round that you will never forget,

i play to get away from the stresses of everyday life

i play because its challenging and fun

i play because i hope to make it my future job

i play because my mom won't let me play football and i'm a bad ballhandler in basketball (automatic jump shot though)

i play because a knee injury ended my brilliant soccer career at age 13

thats all i can come up with

Matty

Aug 30, 2005
For me its time away from the other half, also time to reflect on life & get things straight in my head, like what course im playing next week & stuff like that.

Its also so relaxing, and you feel so good when you birdie a hole, or beat your previous best on the course you have just finished playing, its an amazing feeling.

z26golf

Sep 17, 2005
I play cause I love it, and it's unlike any other sport. There are no two holes that are exactly alike, the conditions are never the same, and rarely do you ever perform the same. Basically every time I play, its a new challenge.

Lamma

May 23, 2005
I play golf because it's the only area of my life in which I allow such massive and overwhelming self delusion.

I delude myself into thinking that someday I can be a scratch player or at least close.

I delude myself into believing that I can carry that three wood over the bunker and onto the green from 260 yards out. And once in a blue moon, I actually pull it off. It doesn't mean that I'm really capable of the shot, it's just that dumb luck is bound to happen.

I delude myself into thinking that I'm really not the hacking high handicapper that my scores consistently reflect. With a tweak here, a small adjustment there, I'm actually a good golfer.

I delude myself into thinking that every bad shot (and there are many) is an aberration, while every good shot is an indicator of my real game.

But what's not delusional is the joy I get from the game. From the occassional birdie that not even Tiger Woods could have played better to holing out a shot from a bunker to save triple bogey. It's wonderful.
I love golf. When I'm on the course I'm in my own universe. The game fits my personality. I've never been a guy who's had tons of friends, just one or two really really good ones. And golf allows for this. While I do like playing with others, I much more prefer playing by myself. No small talk, no b.s., no talk of problems outside the course; just me, my clubs, and the golf course.

For the only time in my existence, all the worries of the world melt away and I'm only concerned with the shot in front of me. No where else and under no other conditions do I experience such peaceful isolation.

youngduffer

Sep 25, 2005
Why do I play golf?????

Because I dont have the balls/guts to quit. We all know if we would have never picked up clubs our lives would be 10x less stressful... But god do I love this game

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
Bravo said:
Loop:

I love your post...this characterizes the groups I play with...we Always Bet (something)...It really Does add to it!

So you walk away from the table a bit lighter (or a bit to the good). I really like this and virtually never play without a wager.

Lol, i would bet money but we always but the winner a large basket of golf balls at the end to who ever wins for the driving range

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
Because it hurts just slightly less than shoving an ice pick up my nose and into my brain!...... OKAY, just kidding.

It's the feeling of a perfectly struck iron that gets to me....kind of like striking a dime on it's edge, just a little "tink" and almost no feeling of having struck something......

Or, determining how a particularly tough hole should be played, ie; lay up 3 iron, 4 iron to the green, and then pulling it off.....

Or, having the kind of playing partners that can applaud your genius or joke about a poorly struck, okay..BAD!, shot.

And, fall weather when it's 73 degrees with a nice little 5-7 mph breeze, the air is fresh and the sun on your face feels just right!

P_102

the hummer

Leftygolfer
Nov 9, 2005
In 1998 I played a best ball tournament and found out how terrible I was. How can a coordinated and athletic person such as myself suck so badly at such a simple looking game? At that point, the game truly humbled me and seriously screw with my mind. I became hooked, and challenged myself to get better with determination.

Over the past 6 or 7 years I matured as a golfer, I understand the game better, my skills improved and my confidence level elevated. I am currently at an 8.6 handicap index. However, most importantly I grew to appreciate all that the great game of golf had to offer. That's why I play the game.

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
I have not really thought why do i play golf, i just enjot it. People say its relaxing but when your having a bad round its far from relaxing =(. But i like the thrill of when you hit a good shot =D

Tiger Who?

Oct 30, 2005
Lamma said:
I play golf because it's the only area of my life in which I allow such massive and overwhelming self delusion.

I delude myself into thinking that someday I can be a scratch player or at least close.

I delude myself into believing that I can carry that three wood over the bunker and onto the green from 260 yards out. And once in a blue moon, I actually pull it off. It doesn't mean that I'm really capable of the shot, it's just that dumb luck is bound to happen.

I delude myself into thinking that I'm really not the hacking high handicapper that my scores consistently reflect. With a tweak here, a small adjustment there, I'm actually a good golfer.

I delude myself into thinking that every bad shot (and there are many) is an aberration, while every good shot is an indicator of my real game.

But what's not delusional is the joy I get from the game. From the occassional birdie that not even Tiger Woods could have played better to holing out a shot from a bunker to save triple bogey. It's wonderful.
I love golf. When I'm on the course I'm in my own universe. The game fits my personality. I've never been a guy who's had tons of friends, just one or two really really good ones. And golf allows for this. While I do like playing with others, I much more prefer playing by myself. No small talk, no b.s., no talk of problems outside the course; just me, my clubs, and the golf course.

For the only time in my existence, all the worries of the world melt away and I'm only concerned with the shot in front of me. No where else and under no other conditions do I experience such peaceful isolation.

By far the best and most thought out post I've seen since I started on any golf forum. Really couldn't have said it any better than you did.

Members online

No members online now.