• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do I play golf?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
This is our last week as members at the course down the street from our 'hood. They do not (and will not) offer seasonal memberships and we're only in VA about 5.5 months, so it doesn't make fiscal sense. It's been a great season of quick and convenient golf. I played in a 3-some today in 3.5 hours and was only away from the house for 4 hours. Now it's back to using my VSGA card and Golfnow to get discounts at local courses. I am looking forward to testing my game at different venues but not looking forward to the driving to and from. Rounds will now eat up 5 to 7 hours of my day. No complaints - we have some decent courses within 20 to 40 minutes of my place and I will still play here at least once/week with my Thursday scramble group. We also have a group of guys in my 'hood that like to travel out once a week. It will be good for my game to play different courses too, then back to FL in the fall.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
This is our last week as members at the course down the street from our 'hood. They do not (and will not) offer seasonal memberships and we're only in VA about 5.5 months, so it doesn't make fiscal sense. It's been a great season of quick and convenient golf. I played in a 3-some today in 3.5 hours and was only away from the house for 4 hours. Now it's back to using my VSGA card and Golfnow to get discounts at local courses. I am looking forward to testing my game at different venues but not looking forward to the driving to and from. Rounds will now eat up 5 to 7 hours of my day. No complaints - we have some decent courses within 20 to 40 minutes of my place and I will still play here at least once/week with my Thursday scramble group. We also have a group of guys in my 'hood that like to travel out once a week. It will be good for my game to play different courses too, then back to FL in the fall.
Do what makes you happy Steve. You've earned it.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
More course pro shops to peruse for new/different/more clubs. More miles to travel where you might spy a garage sale with a Ping bag setting out with the "Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for Dummies" books. More time spent over-analyzing which of the dozens of sets of clubs in your arsenal that will perform best on the specific course you are going to play that day. More likely to not have your membership revoked for a single club when you pat the cart girl on the behind. Lots of "new and exciting" possibilities!!!!:D

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
More course pro shops to peruse for new/different/more clubs. More miles to travel where you might spy a garage sale with a Ping bag setting out with the "Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for Dummies" books. More time spent over-analyzing which of the dozens of sets of clubs in your arsenal that will perform best on the specific course you are going to play that day. More likely to not have your membership revoked for a single club when you pat the cart girl on the behind. Lots of "new and exciting" possibilities!!!!:D
I like the way you think Limp! You got it all correct except I only own three sets of irons - I ho alot, but I sell one set to buy another. Currently I have the G30, ZING, and Acer XV irons. Assorted wedges and 3 drivers - Cobra S3 Max, Callaway Razr Hawk and a no-name component slug.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008

Back to playing like a common Geezer.

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
Why do I play golf?

the beauty of the game itself

the beauty of the surroundings

the companionship and competition with your buddies

it can be enjoyed throughout your life

the test of skill, with so many techniques and areas of improvement

upholding the tradition of playing an ancient game, essentially unchanged for millennia (rules and equipment change, but the essence of golf is, and has always been, to hit a stationary ball into a hole in the ground using clubs, in a minimum of attempts or strokes)

the variety of situations - it never gets boring or repetitive - no two rounds are the same and no two courses are the same

that it is an absorbing and active, outdoor activity

that it can always be enjoyed with friends, strangers, or solo - you can always just go and play golf

the immense satisfaction I receive from playing even one single shot well

the immense amount that I CARE about how well I've played a shot, despite the fact that failure has no actual consequences. I can play well or poorly, but the next day the sun still comes up.

Last edited:

bubblebee

Mar 11, 2018
Country
Philippines Philippines
Some people have put it in here quite nicely, but I play golf mainly for the conversations over business and for the relaxation. There's something about a field of green.

Old Chuckie T

Loveable Linkster
Jul 22, 2018
Boston
Country
Back in the days before recorded history and the entire world was in black and white, I started high school and wanted to participate in sports. I had enjoyed early youth sports like Little League, and thought I'd give high school sports a go if I were good enough to make a team.

I quickly discovered, however, that while I enjoyed sports, I hated "jock culture." It seemed that all the preppies involved in school sports had either boorish or abrasive personalities, and often, the IQ of an ice cube to go with them. Thus I eschewed school sports and found something for which I was better suited. I took up amateur boxing at the CYO gym. The less privileged than I juvenile delinquents that I met there were nonetheless more pleasant company than the school jocks. Maybe it was me. I can't really explain it.

Boxing wasn't quite enough, nor was it something that I could do indefinitely, given that my brain had but a finite number of cells to be destroyed. I let my uncle--my mom's older brother--get me interested in public links golf. I took a few lessons, and noticed immediately that the course offered more fresh air than the gym, and one tended to bleed a lot less.

Perhaps not the best reason ever to take up golf, but what the hell--it was my reason.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
One of my favorite parts of the game. There's always at least one flushed center-struck beauty that brings us back.
The flushed shots you barely feel leave the clubface are rewarding, that's for sure. What seems to keep me motivated are the missed shots. "Tomorrow, I'll make those short putts I missed today!" "Tomorrow, I'll use the 7-iron to chip instead of the wedge!" "Tomorrow...………" One of these days, EVERY part of the game will sync and I'll shoot my age. Until then, it's those missed opportunities that keep me coming back in an attempt to defeat the beasts in my mind.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Did someone happen leave their clubs out?

38137261_10157652256582782_3105266461724114944_n.jpg

BogeySwine

Feb 16, 2017
1. When my kids were all at home I couldn't afford the time off work from injuries from contact sports!
2. When my kids got older we helped them with College costs so I couldn't afford time off work from injuries from contact sports!
3. When the kids left I was so beat up from work I couldn't play the contact sports!
4. The only time I saw the two boys after College was if I invited them to play golf.
5. Turns out after playing golf for 40 years I finally realized I like it more than all the other sports!

Uncle Azzhole

Jack of all trades, azzhole in all of them...
Apr 30, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
I like the serenity of being on the course by myself, no one chatting with me... thats when I play my best because I dont think about anything but how beautiful the scenery is (ok, when the bear girl goes by I like how that scenery is as well) I just hate cities, I am from a very small town in Maine and I miss the woods surrounding my grand parents home.
If someone would mow the forest so I could play there without the high cost of the golf course I would greatly appreciate it...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
...when the bear girl goes by... ...from a very small town in Maine and I miss the woods...

Does the 'bear girl' s**t in the woods? :D Aren't those paws too big and clumsy for her to make change? If you could snap a picture of her driving the cart...…:D

I apologize! I've gotten so bad about typing too fast and posting before proofing. The English language can be so funny when one letter in a complete paragraph is a little off. No offense meant. Just couldn't pass us commenting about a "bear girl".:)

🔥 Latest posts