• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do people invest so much money in putters?

Case

Apr 10, 2009
I can understand with drivers irons and wedges but why putters? putting is a mind game, i dont think you need a putter that will automattically let you make 40 foot putts. I have a oddyssey putter that i bought at dicks a couple years ago and it works fine. sure, im not the best putter but i can get it within a 3 foot radius for 30 feet out. Why do people buy the 150-300 dollar scotty camerons? I dont seem to know how they would help your short game

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
While I am 100% behind your note here about boutique putters, you're about to catch alot of flak. :D

For me, it makes no sense. But, to each their own. If you can drain putts with a $4 garage sale putter, outstanding. If it takes a $1700 Cameron Special Edition to do it, then fine.

However, head to head, they're both still putters and will both do a heckuva job in the right hands.

R35

OP
C

Case

Apr 10, 2009
While I am 100% behind your note here about boutique putters, you're about to catch alot of flak. :D

For me, it makes no sense. But, to each their own. If you can drain putts with a $4 garage sale putter, outstanding. If it takes a $1700 Cameron Special Edition to do it, then fine.

However, head to head, they're both still putters and will both do a heckuva job in the right hands.

R35

EXACTLY my point. Its the golfer, not the club. Now i am behind the idea of "newer" drivers, irons, and wedges but a putter is a putter. You can still sink putts with a rock and stick if you tried hard enough.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007

R35

says the guy with the fancy putter.... :)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The secret is, when you miss that 4 footer with a cheapo putter, you look like a hack who can't putt. But, when you miss it with a Scotty, you look like a hack that bought a expensive putter that can't putt, but you look good missing it, :D

And seriously, my Scotty is better balanced, and has a better feel to it than any other putter I've tried. And trust me, I've tried a bunch of them. If the putter feels good to you, suits your eye, you will putt better with it.

Robbie101

Loving Life......
Mar 18, 2009
I can't put with a cheap putter or an expensive one. Ive got just a plain ol cheap one and have been thinking about getting a new one. Maybe there a little more forgiving......Maybe......... I don't know, but im glad i found this thread so maybe i can learn something........

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I can't put with a cheap putter or an expensive one. Ive got just a plain ol cheap one and have been thinking about getting a new one. Maybe there a little more forgiving......Maybe......... I don't know, but im glad i found this thread so maybe i can learn something........

Its all about what fits your putting stroke and eye. I've tried the big, high MOI mallet putters and couldn't hit water from an off shore oil rig with them. A blade fits my stroke and suits my eye better. Many swear by mallets. AS far as which one to buy, the best advice is to go try as many as possible. Hit your local golf shop and spend as much time in the putting area as they will let you. Keep in mind that many of them have the green sloped into the hole, so you will drain most all of your putts. But pay attention to the feel and look of each putter.

But if you do go with a Scotty, keep in mind that they hold their value much better than others. You can always get your money back on a Scotty, especially if you buy a used one.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I putt with an old odyssey 882 blade I bought in high school. I have tried others and return to this. putting is mental. If you can putt you can putt. You can still argue the same point with most equipment anyway. My dad just bought a brand new TM driver to replace his 425 he bombs. Does he hit the new one farther?? nope straighter?? nope I think the max this applies is about 5 years though. You should upgrade to better at some point but not all that often.

Jason

Cray

Jul 21, 2007
For me putting is all feel. I would use a two dollar broom if it felt right and rolled the ball into the hole.

The most I have spent (so far) on a putter is $50. I picked up a Cleveland Classic #1 and really like it.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You said it yourself. Putting is a complete mind game.

Some people feel that the more money they spend on a putter the better they will putt and that confidence is HUGE on the putting green. Me personally i have no reason to believe that a $500 putter will make any more putts than the one i have.

Try them all, pay whatever the one you like the best costs.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I was starting to get tempted by the Scooter Cameron designs, then I decided to just regrip my 3 putters and let the best one win out, sell the other two. I had all three regripped... wow what a difference, totally changed how each one felt. Im beginning to think that I could use anything as long as it has the right grip on it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Are we really going to go through this again?:prop:

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I am considering getting a new putter, but am limited on budget. I want one because mine has an inconsistant feel which leads to problems with pace. The stars have to align to get that "sweet spot" feel out it. It's a Wilson that came with my beginner box set. It actually looks good to the eye and the grip is a good size, It just feels tinny. I'm looking for something with a milled face and 33" rather than the 35" I have. By no means do I feel like $300 on a putter is necessary though. For the most part I agree with you. I've been golfing almost a year now and just recently was able to pin point what is wrong and what I want.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.