• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do people invest so much money in putters?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I buried a nice par saver today and exclaimed "that's why I invested in this thing...". Twofast got a good laugh out of that after hesitating to think for a second.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Trying to explain to someone who has never held a Scotty, or putted with one, the allure of one is next to impossible. You have to hold it in your hands, feel the cold steel warm to your touch. Stroke it smoothness, gaze upon its beauty. You have to experience the distinctive click when it meets the ball and sends it on its way towards the winning putt. Lovingly brush the grass clipping and dust off it before you gently kiss it in appreciation, and then slip it snugly back into its little cover to protect it until the next hole.

Ugghhhh, excuse me, I have to go tell mine how much I love it now. :rolleyes:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Lol. I'm going to get mine out of the trunk. It must be scared in there, all dark and lonesome.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I TRADED A SCOTTY FOR A DRIVER!!!! BEAT THAT!!!!

Don't feel sorry for me....I bought it from someone that had no clue what it was for cheap. So I came out ok.

On a side note......it didn't make anymore putts than the free Zebra mallet in the closet.

Jason

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I TRADED A SCOTTY FOR A DRIVER!!!! BEAT THAT!!!!
Jason

I traded a Scotty for a new set of MX-25's plus $700. When I couldn't hit the MX-25's I gave them to my kid and bought a new set of AP1's with the $700. I couldn't hit them either & they're sitting in the corner. :(

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I traded a Scotty for a new set of MX-25's plus $700. When I couldn't hit the MX-25's I gave them to my kid and bought a new set of AP1's with the $700. I couldn't hit them either & they're sitting in the corner. :(

The old life story behind an average golf player like any of us....:D

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
My putter - msrp $350
blue scorpion putter.jpg

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My putter - msrp $350

Holy smokes. Don't tell me, you left it on the green once, came back to find a bunch of beetles on skatboards using it as a half-pipe? Or, you can lay a Miller in there and make it a heavy putter?

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
Now that is a wicked looking putter. How does it roll the ball?

I love it, but im a little bias - i designed and built it in 2004. Higher moi than those bobby grace putters that touted high MOI - i cant remember the number, (like 5 cm squared something like that??) the whole idea was to take on the odyssey 2 ball and other rear weighted putters. i had spoken with a few tour pros about rear weighted mallet putters most every one liked them really quickly then they all left them. what i discovered was that they didnt like it on long putts because the ball was jumping / hopping. well this stuck in my head for some reason. i thought what would happen if i raised the center of gravity? hence the rear weight/tail.

and so it started use a heavy rear weight, 1030 carbon stainless steel face, lightweight 6061 aluminum curved body shaped like a violin with a scorpion tail. make it heavy - 372g (350g lightweight version), insert an adjustable hosel, a few modifications to get it usga approed and poof we had the blue scorpion putter.

i took it to the tour in march of 05 - doral/honda/bayhill/players then the hartford tpc/deutsche bank, and to the long island champions tour event. passed out 12 putters - hank kuehne, patrick damron, damon green, fred sanders (kenny perry's caddie), bernhard langer, tim clark, craig barlow, espn anchor chris berman, and a few others -

The feedback was awesome - the high rear weight really puts a downforce on the ball and it just hugs the turf with virtually zero skidding.

someone told me it was in the background in someones home putting green on the golf channel years ago. thats about it - never got the phase 2 funding to roll big time with it, but its definitly a conversation piece.

Holy smokes. Don't tell me, you left it on the green once, came back to find a bunch of beetles on skatboards using it as a half-pipe? Or, you can lay a Miller in there and make it a heavy putter?

thats a new one! santa's sleigh / alladins shoes are the most popular comments i hear... right before i drain a 25 footer for bird! :laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Wow. That's pretty cool. I take it in reality there must be more than $350 wrapped up in The Scorpion.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I've long maintained that people that play Camerons are douchebags - around here, anyways. And, the douchebag to shitty golfer ratio is almost always 1:1.

However, I have lightened my feelings on this subject recently, as there are plenty of doucheba, er, guys around here that play Camerons and we get along just fine. :D
R35

Anyone who doesn't love a Scotty is a douchebag, you douchebag.... :laugh:

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
1. Caring about a car having leather seats seems to me exactly like caring about a putter having a more expensive grip because you "feel" better. I don't think it "increases performance".

I agree a car is more than that. In some cultures its a notion of power, economical status, etc, you like it or not. So is a putter. People feel better because they have this or that strange special collection limited edition putter like they care about having that special collection 1973 Mercedes "Gull-Wings" or 1967 Shelby Mustang. It is in no way better than an actual SLK Mercedes or GT Mustang, bu it does give a special "feeling".

"Increases performance" in what aspect? A putter is supposed to get the ball in the hole. I already said that if ALL you want out of a car is transportation, leather seats are a waste. But I spend a LOT of time in my car, so another purpose of MY vehicle is comfort. And an "expensive grip" on a putter is about $10. Hardly a comparison to leather seats in a car, anyway.

How about customizing a car? Tunning has become a huge business and has a ginormous amount of adepts. Isn't a custumized putter exactly the same? I would love to have a putter designed for myself, with my name on the cast head and the exact finish and colour I want. And yes, I would pay more for that because I think its great and I find it "cool". (Waiting to have the money and put my order through Sunset Beach) Just as I pay more for having my initials engraved in a Ralph Laurent Polo-Shirt.

Tuning cars is a hobby, I guess. If the purpose of your vehicle was to get from A to B REALLY fast (and obnoxiously) then tuning is a fine investment. This is all going to come together in the end very nicely :)

We come to a second point: Why spend money in brand name clothing if you can get a pair of jeans at K-mart for $9.99, a Polo T' for $5, and Shoes for $19,99? Because some love the way some brands look on them, or feel better with them. I love Kenneth Cole Trousers because they just "feel" perfectly, and no, they do EXACTLY the same as the K-mart ones do, they offer no increase in performance.

I cite purpose again... If all you wanted to do was clothe your body, you would be stupid to pay more. If you want to be COMFORTABLE, you might be wise to invest in better fabrics and such. But frankly, Target does have nice stuff. I have a lot of name brands, but I only buy them on clearance. Obviously if your KC trousers only do EXACTLY what the KMart pants do, you're an idiot for spending more money. It's about purpose. Think.

2. Spending money in fancy dinners is one of the things I love the most to do. Having a great dinner out with some great tasting wine, with great company (Why pay $70 a bottle for a Grand Cru if you can get drunk with a bottle of cheap rum, uh?) does give me a better "feel" than eating TV Dinner every night.

If your purpose was just to get drunk, you'd be an idiot to spend $70 on wine. Is this sinking in?

The whole point is that- if you want to MAKE MORE PUTTS, Scotty Camerons do nothing for you. Much like a name brand shirt or big shiny rims on a car, or whatever, it's purely an arbitrary status symbol that exists MOSTLY because they are just so expensive. If they were only $50 a pop, I doubt anyone would give a crud about them.

If I recall, Indacup talked once about how some shafts are marked up so much just to get attention from the buyer. They see shaft A at $69.99, then shaft B at 289.99, they want shaft B. They assume it MUST be better. It's the "WOW, there MUST be a difference!" factor.

If your purpose is to have a piece of jewelry on the course and carry around some arbitrary status symbol, then a Scotty Cameron is for you. If you want to make putts, it's really not going to offer you anything you can't get elsewhere.

I'd buy one for $50 because it looks like it'd roll the ball nice. That's it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online