• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do you play golf?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
A story in this morning's paper about an upcoming clinic reminded me of a good golf story. The clinic is going to focus on the fun side of playing golf and using that to shoot better scores. The organizer of the clinic was a student of Harvey Pineck and that's what made me think of the story. I know some on the forum aren't big fans of his, but he was a bit of a local hero around here.

My daughter's orthodontist, Joel, was one of Harvey's students although Harvey made him promise not to tell anyone because he never practiced.
Joel is a good golfer, single digit without practice time. He took the game seriously though and had gone to see Harvery with his latest frustration.

After explaining his problem, Harvey stood silent for a moment then asked. "So Joel, are you almost ready for the Masters." He smiled and told him no. Harvey then asked, "so then you must be spending all of your time preparing for the US Open"? At this point Joel laughed and said "Harvey you know I'm not". Harvey looked at him with a big grin and said, "then for you Joel, golf is a game".

My friend told me that story at a time that I had become so frustrated with golf that I had quit playing. Since I started playing again I've been careful to keep things in perspective. So back to my original question of why do you play? Is it for the scores, the competition, time outside with friends etc? For myself, I think it's a combination of time with friends and time spent trying to improve my skills at a game I really enjoy now. That and the cold beer of course. Hope this wasn't too long or too boring. :D

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
That was incredibly too long and boring... Not!

That was a good anecdote to keep the rest of us honest, I think. I think I play for a combination of the reasons you stated. Comraderie, exercise, enjoyment. I think, mostly, it's because I'm the personality type who always needs a challenge. Golf will always be that. Always. As soon as I give up smoking, golf will be my only addiction.

namvet66

Aug 30, 2004
Good Time

I am a big fan of Mr. Harvey Pineck, have both of his books and read tham often. I like his attitude toward the game, key word GAME.

I golf for the pleasure of being outdoors with friends. Of course I want to better my score and my overall game, but I don't ever want to get to the point that I frustrate myself over ANY game.

Its fun and relaxing for me.

Love the story you passed on, thanks

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm about 3/4 of the way through the second book as i type this. His insight is very different, some of which i take as gospel, other peices i wouldn't line my birdcage with. But, it's obviously subjective.

I do agree, however, that golf is a game. And, two games in one, i find. I always play against myself first and foremost. Secondly, i play against whomever i am paired with. Golf is a game that is so unique because, if you screw up, the only ass you can kick is your own. You can't blame anyone else but yourself. But, at the same time, even if your game is in the gutter, you still have a ball.

I'd rather be out on a nice clear day shooting 85 than i would doing anything else.

The girl at the proshop helps. :p

R35

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
rockford35 said:
I'd rather be out on a nice clear day shooting 85 than i would doing any(one :p) else.

The girl at the proshop helps. :p

R35

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Challenge, fun, money bets. And of course, seeing the ball fly.

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
Loop said:
Challenge, fun, money bets. And of course, seeing the ball fly.
SEEING THE BALL FLY
As many of you may have gathered from reading my posts i enjoy meditating on golf for hours on end at times. And though it may hurt my credibility with a lot of you I will come clean:
I have been playing for a piddling 9 years, i rarely play courses outside of my local muni, i havent scored below 80 in several months. I havent graduated highschool.

I am also sixteen years old, and almost entirely self tought. I work at that same local muni here on long island, picking range balls and cleaning golf carts. When i was 7 years old my dad started taking me out on the par 3 course at the muni and enrolled me for a couple of years in a summertime golf instruction camp at the course. Now I teach at that camp working with and for PGA Master Professional Micheal Hebron Sr. (1991 teacher of the year).

I have in the past three years developed an insatiable appatite for knowledge in club design, building, and fitting. Not to mention swing theory (though i am a devoted debunker of "secret move" theories). I can talk for hours about a golfswing in describing the beauty and mostof all the subtlety of this strange "undignified conglomeration of motions." however if you ask my high school teamates it requires 2 questions and merely seconds for me to devise a fix for a swing flaw.

Golf and Smithtown Landing have become such a large part of life that I play for more reasons than i could describe but the quote above got me rolling here. An anecdote to set the scene:
several years ago I (about 12 years old) saw Padraig Harrington at a tournament hitting the big ole' draw he does and i decided i wanted to try it. Now, i regard this as the real beginning of my attatchment to golf. I set out to learn this shot, I went to the internet, as strange as it seems. I found the golf channel's site and i found a clip of Dean Reinmuth on Academy Live. In this clip he put degree measures to the path and face angle at impact (a moment that has changed my life). Since seeing this I have not stopped hitting that draw, and having seen this clip i have what is an uncanny understanding of the golfswing.

ok, end of anecdote.

I have since that time, or a little after, wanted to be a teaching pro. And already in my young age i have seen why. I dont as much play golf as i do live it. but I do so to learn about this mystical game that allows me to see people so helped. I dont as much enjoy helping people as i do enjoy seeing them helped. I enjoy Seeing [thier] ball fly. I enjoy Seeing [your] ball fly.

Anyone who has seen it will know instantly what i mean:
Is there any better feeling than looking into the eyes and seeing the elation of a person who felt caged by nis swing flaws suddenly freed in the breeze of a 100mph motion striking a medium low and hot draw. The hopelessness of a lifetime slicer forever changed by some kid he played with for 9holes at a municipal course after work on that friday afternoon.

Or the look someone gives you when they start to wonder and struggle and suddenly they hear what they needed to. Exactly the ballflight they wanted and somehow I did it, I know it wasnt me but they always seem to think so and i tell them, "i never touched that club in your hand."

its that elation that i play for.

I too play to see the ball fly.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Jeff:

You are blessed in that you know your Life's Calling at a young age.

Keep pursuing it. You can have a good lifestyle and good living in the golf business.

And Yes you are right - I am so happy to see my instructor after how much he has helped me.

And he got paid to do it.

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
Bravo said:
Jeff:

You are blessed in that you know your Life's Calling at a young age.

Keep pursuing it. You can have a good lifestyle and good living in the golf business.

And Yes you are right - I am so happy to see my instructor after how much he has helped me.

And he got paid to do it.
hahaha you know, i think he's just as happy to see you;-)
thank you for the support. And i do count myself extremely lucky to have found myself on a path to what i want to be my career while my friends all have 'jobs'
hehe thanks again

and id like to thank everyone here for hearing my insight because i love giving it. especially to an interested audience.

ProjectX

They said it'd get better
Sep 1, 2004
Jeff,

Your eloquence and delivery are far beyond what one would expect from someone 16 years old.

You are obviously a very intelligent young man.

Keep following that dream. You can do it.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Jeff Gallo said:
SEEING THE BALL FLY
As many of you may have gathered from reading my posts i enjoy meditating on golf for hours on end at times. And though it may hurt my credibility with a lot of you I will come clean:
I have been playing for a piddling 9 years, i rarely play courses outside of my local muni, i havent scored below 80 in several months. I havent graduated highschool.

I am also sixteen years old, and almost entirely self tought. I work at that same local muni here on long island, picking range balls and cleaning golf carts. When i was 7 years old my dad started taking me out on the par 3 course at the muni and enrolled me for a couple of years in a summertime golf instruction camp at the course. Now I teach at that camp working with and for PGA Master Professional Micheal Hebron Sr. (1991 teacher of the year).

I have in the past three years developed an insatiable appatite for knowledge in club design, building, and fitting. Not to mention swing theory (though i am a devoted debunker of "secret move" theories). I can talk for hours about a golfswing in describing the beauty and mostof all the subtlety of this strange "undignified conglomeration of motions." however if you ask my high school teamates it requires 2 questions and merely seconds for me to devise a fix for a swing flaw.

Golf and Smithtown Landing have become such a large part of life that I play for more reasons than i could describe but the quote above got me rolling here. An anecdote to set the scene:
several years ago I (about 12 years old) saw Padraig Harrington at a tournament hitting the big ole' draw he does and i decided i wanted to try it. Now, i regard this as the real beginning of my attatchment to golf. I set out to learn this shot, I went to the internet, as strange as it seems. I found the golf channel's site and i found a clip of Dean Reinmuth on Academy Live. In this clip he put degree measures to the path and face angle at impact (a moment that has changed my life). Since seeing this I have not stopped hitting that draw, and having seen this clip i have what is an uncanny understanding of the golfswing.

ok, end of anecdote.

I have since that time, or a little after, wanted to be a teaching pro. And already in my young age i have seen why. I dont as much play golf as i do live it. but I do so to learn about this mystical game that allows me to see people so helped. I dont as much enjoy helping people as i do enjoy seeing them helped. I enjoy Seeing [thier] ball fly. I enjoy Seeing [your] ball fly.

Anyone who has seen it will know instantly what i mean:
Is there any better feeling than looking into the eyes and seeing the elation of a person who felt caged by nis swing flaws suddenly freed in the breeze of a 100mph motion striking a medium low and hot draw. The hopelessness of a lifetime slicer forever changed by some kid he played with for 9holes at a municipal course after work on that friday afternoon.

Or the look someone gives you when they start to wonder and struggle and suddenly they hear what they needed to. Exactly the ballflight they wanted and somehow I did it, I know it wasnt me but they always seem to think so and i tell them, "i never touched that club in your hand."

its that elation that i play for.

I too play to see the ball fly.

Great post Jeff. You're very lucky indeed to have such great passion for your future carreer. I turned 50 this year and sometimes still wonder what I want to be when I grow up.

keyyy

Dec 22, 2008
to make our bodies more stronger than ever we spammers pound our meat with hammers at every possible opportunity.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
+1 on Pennick's books. Simple, straight forward, no fluff. His two books allow this game to be put into words most anyone can understand.

Why do I play this game? I was never athletic. As a youngster, was extremely overweight. Attended a small high school where ALL males went out for sports to fill the slots on the teams. Usually warmed benches unless the team was way ahead or way behind. Married young (19 years old) and began a family. Worked long hours, two jobs, 7 days/week. Had no time for the "upper class" games such as golf.

Was introduced to the game in my late 30's. Began reading everything I could get my hands on. Was "fair" at the game from the beginning. And, had a group of gentlemen who included me in their Saturday morning game. What began as a game... a sport... a chance to fellowship with some other people... became an addiction.

I have progressed through the entire gammet. Beginner... serious student (fitted, high dollar clubs)... and, finally, maturing to the realization that I would never be scratch. If I was to ever really enjoy this as the game it is, I must accept just that... it's a game.

So many good people have been met and played with. So many fond memories of good shots... and bad. So many fond memories of clubs owned over the years... many that I still kick myself for every allowing out of my hands. Golf allows me a chance to... for 3 - 4 hours... forget the worries of kids and grandkids and finances and business and .... Golf allows me a chance to change joy to frustration to joy to frustration over a short period of time.

At my age... bad knees, bad back, a body that you hope allows you to feel the pain to assure you awoke this morning... I cannot even comtemplate playing organized baseball or football or basketball. At my age, the interaction with my peers too often is a game of checkers at the local retired citizens center. At my age, it is far too easy to spend any spare time sitting in front of these computer monitors... allowing the body to further deteriorate. I choose neither. I was blessed with the opportunity to be introduced to a game... the game of golf. I thank the Good Lord, every day, for allowimg me that blessing.

That's why I play golf. I can! I'm fairly adept at it! It allows me interaction with some really good people. It keeps me young!!!!

🔥 Latest posts