• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why does she keep setting herself up for failure?

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
She has a few good rounds and thinks she can take on anybody. I have a feeling she will be cut after the first or second day and have some major blowup holes.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
ESPN - Reno-Tahoe Open to be Wie's first PGA Tour event of '08 - Golf

Go to q-school, get your LPGA card, and make your way as a Female Professional golfer. Quit doing all this silly BS for the publicity.

That was the first thing I thought when I heard this.

But then I started thinking that maybe she was doing it for the tournament practice. She can only play a certain number of LPGA events per season, and after last week's debacle, she only has 1 tournament left to win enough money to get her card. I read that she would probably have to win or place in the top 3 (5?).

So maybe she is using this as an opportunity to get her tournament game in shape? I don't know, maybe I've giving her too much credit. But after watching her play last week, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. If she plays as good as she did last week, she may not make the cut, but she won't come in last.

EDIT: Oh man. Now I know I'm mentally unstable. I've unknowingly agreed with David Leadbetter:
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=26000&select2=9887

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
But then I started thinking that maybe she was doing it for the tournament practice. She can only play a certain number of LPGA events per season, and after last week's debacle, she only has 1 tournament left to win enough money to get her card. I read that she would probably have to win or place in the top 3 (5?).
Yes. I would not have agreed with her going on the PGA Tour but she only has a few opportunities against the girls. She NEEDS to go to Q-School and attempt to qualify, which her people are waffling on because school is in session then. So f-ing what. Failing to do that would be a huge mistake.

Maybe she should try Nationwide Tour events instead.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Yes. I would not have agreed with her going on the PGA Tour but she only has a few opportunities against the girls. She NEEDS to go to Q-School and attempt to qualify, which her people are waffling on because school is in session then. So f-ing what. Failing to do that would be a huge mistake.

Maybe she should try Nationwide Tour events instead.

She has. Also the Candian Tour and Asian Tour.

Her goal has been to compete on the PGA tour, if she gets a chance, she is going to take it. Just like Tiger was driven by the desire to be better than Nicklaus, Wie is driven by the desire to play on the PGA tour.

While I may either agree or disagree with her tournament selections, she is an indepenedant contractor with the right to choose her schedule as she sees fit. It is her life and she is going to continue following her own path regardless of what the media or general population say.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
While I may either agree or disagree with her tournament selections, she is an indepenedant contractor with the right to choose her schedule as she sees fit. It is her life and she is going to continue following her own path regardless of what the media or general population say.
We aren't saying she doesn't have the right to choose her own schedule. We are disagreeing with her decisions. Of course it's her life and she's going to do whatever she wants.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I can't see why everyone gets so pissed at Wie. It's not her fault, it's her dumb@ss sponsors who insist on trotting out their high paid show pony. She's not playing in these PGA tournaments because she's qualified -- they are all sponsor's exemptions and evidently they think they are getting their money's worth... :rolleyes:

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
It is absolutely an awful idea and it has been an awful idea from the beginning. I can see what people are saying about needing tournament experience, but then go get it on the Futures Tour, not setting yourself up for disaster. Before the State Farm last week, I don't think she had even made a cut on the LPGA this year, and some of her scores were in the high 80s maybe even in the 90s at some tournaments.
I have always felt that lack of experience has been her downfall. We can all agree that she has talent, but she hasn't won a tournament since she was 12 years old! I think pulling her from the juniors was a mistake because she never learned to win. She never learned how to play on Sunday. A few years ago, before the injuries, she had the lead after 54 at a few tournaments (the Women's US Open was one I believe) and was never able to finish. Players like Paula Creamer and Morgan Pressel learned how to close while dominating the juniors. It is an experience that Michelle never got. I hope she gets her game back into form, she would be great for the LPGA, but for where her game is right now, I am not even sure she would qualify through Q school. Maybe that is why they don't want her to go.

Dominate the LPGA like Annika did, then if you want, go back and try to compete on the PGA tour. But, for right now, you should try to at least get one win first.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Who ever is making the decisions as far as directing her career is ruining her confidence and therefore her golfing abilities. They might as well introduce her to John Daly, then they could pi$$ away their abilities together.

I can see it now, her and John, a several years down the road, sitting on the deck drunker than skunks, watching all their rug rats drilling golf balls through the siding of their double wide, :laugh:

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
I saw an interview with Wie about this, and she is clearly just doing this for tournament practice. She did everything but say as much. Which, of course, she can't.

Knowing that, I really don't have a problem with it. And now I'm interested in seeing how she does.

ai340.photobucket.com_albums_o325_HarryLongshanks_capt6f88691b0c4644c0aeed1c09561c4a8.jpg

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I see that everyone here has the topic covered so there isn't much for me to add. Win or lose its a train wreck and everyone will be watching.

🔥 Latest posts