• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why is it?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
...that $4 ProV1's (or other high priced balls) head straight for the woods or water and cheapo $0.50 balls last forever and go where you want them to go? :unhappy:

Do they only go where you want them to go if you're a pro? Or low handicapper? Is this some strange "law" of golf ball physics?

Comments and help please? I'm baffled.

limp! I need your eloquent explanation.

If the pro in the movie "Tin Cup" would have set down a Nike "Mojo" would he have made it over the water on the first shot? I think so..... :emot-angel:

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Yep, it happens to all of us. I used to have a Callaway HX Red I found once and use it only for the 18th in my club which is a par 3 which has a lake in front of the green. It had the worst feel ever and was about devastated (I don't think you could even see dimples anymore), but it always pass the lake and land in the green leaving me with a putt with a marble which I always missed of course. After some time I decided to try a new B330RX. I was confident enough! In m last six or seven times I had always hit the green, so why not? You know how the story ends obviously. Teeing up a third shot with the HX

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The cheaper the ball, the straighter the flight. They're designed that way.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
My ProV1's go straight (no slice or hook). They just head for the trouble. And this is not a serious thread. :cool:

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I feel like the more balls I have, the higher the chance that I'll lose one. If I go buy a box of ProV's and dump them all in my bag, I'll lose a handful the next outing. So If I'm just going to play 18, I only take a sleeve with me. I'm funny like that. I have a shag compartment in my bag full of balls that I have found just in case I run out of good ones.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've done similar. I have the ball compartment on my bag full of cheapo balls and then "allow" myself one sleeve of ProV1x's a round. I usually play the cheapo balls mostly unless there is no way to lose a good ball on a hole. Then I hit a ProV1x (and proceed to lose it).....

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Still dark, this morning, when we went off the first tee. Could barely see past the bend. So, I pulled an old NXT out of the bag in case we couldn't find a tee shot in the limited light. Laced it down the middle and ended up shooting 78. It felt like a rock compared to the usual ProV. Yet, it finished the round and a good round. ?????? Why?
The longest hitter in our group plays Top Rocks. He hits it deep into the gunch... often. Says he plays Top Flite because he can usually find one when looking for his... and claim it for his own. Beats having a zipper in the bottom of your pocket that drops one down the pantleg.
We just commented, yesterday, the basket is getting full on the back of our cart. We've already got a couple 5-gallon buckets of 'found' balls in the cart shed. Amazing how many Top Flite, Molitor, Noodle, Nike So Long, DT Roll, etc. we find. And, we do find our share of ProV's or other upscale balls. I don't think trees and weeds are biased as to the quality of the golf balls they "eat".
I don't lose many. Many years ago, I began putting a heavy red line under the Titleist. One day, someone said it looked like I had 'lipsitck on my ball'. That stuck. Our entire group now will point out my ball in the fairway or in the rough by pointing and calling out, "Lipstick!" Maybe the tall grass is just too embarrassed to hide balls with lipstick on them. You might want to try that on your ProV's.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I could paint a black line under the Titleist and call it "mascara"!!

Just might work.

a zipper in the bottom of your pocket that drops one down the pantleg

Hmmmmmmm...... now that's a thought.....

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Ok, this thread is getting very dangerous now...

I can see the commercial already. " NEW ! Just for the metrosexual golfer. The new line of Mary Kay ProV's. Give your balls a makeover." Scary!!!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I literally got mad once, threw a Top Flight into the pond, it hit a rock and came back out. True story.

If that were a prov it would have stayed in there for sure~!

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
We should pitch this one to myth busters... Are cheap golf balls easier to keep than expensive ones?

I'll bet they're just about desperate enough to try it at this point.

They'll probably want to use me as the "golfer"......

Members online

No members online now.