• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wie....just phenomenal..

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
FARMINGTON, Pennsylvania (AP) - Michelle Wie seemed to be describing a round that only she saw.

Maybe that begins to explain why the teenager's admirable but still-unsuccessful attempts to become the first woman to make the cut on the PGA Tour in 61 years are increasingly taking on the look of folly, rather than soon-to-happen reality.

A week after finishing last against men in the European Masters, which isn't a tour event, Wie had a 5-over 77 Thursday that bettered only nine others during the opening round of the 84 Lumber Classic. She was in a five-way tie for 125th, with only the top 70 moving on to weekend play following the second round.

Last year's cut was even par, so Wie probably had to shoot a 5-under 67 or better Friday for any chance to make the cut - something no female golfer has done in a PGA event since Babe Didrikson Zaharias in 1945.

"I'm going to go out with the same mind-set I had today, just try my hardest and keep plugging away," said Wie, a Hawaii high school senior who skipped a week of classes to play in her third PGA tournament this year. "I think I'll be shooting a low score."

She didn't say if she meant low like first-round leader Nicholas Thompson, a 2005 qualifying school graduate who is only 181st on the money list but shot an 8-under 64. It was the lowest round in the 84 Lumber Classic since eventual winner Vijay Singh's first-round 64 in 2004.

Thompson was two shots ahead of six tied at 66 and three up on the six who had 67s. The low scores partly were the result of 1 1/2 inches of overnight rain that saturated the course and made the greens much friendlier.

While the 16-year-old Wie is among the longest hitters among the women, she outdrove only two others with her 259.3 yards average. That left her constantly facing long iron shots on the 7,550-yard Mystic Rock course, the third-longest on the PGA tour.

When she finally reached the greens, her putter let her down as she averaged 2.091 putts - the ninth-worst average in the field. That's a combination that won't win anywhere, short drives and too many putts.

For a golfer trying to compete against some of the best in the world, it wasn't nearly good enough, even though she said, "I felt I played really good."

No doubt the four others who had 77s didn't feel the same way.

And no wonder some like Chris DiMarco are politely trying to persuade her that she would be better off challenging LPGA golfers whenever she can - she can't get a full-time LPGA tour card for another one year-plus - rather than constantly coming up short against the men.

Wie's last six rounds against men, not including an Asian Tour stop this year in which she made the cut against a field of unknowns, include two 79s, a 78 and two 77s. Maybe this is a factor, too - before beginning her round, she spent time studying for her high school history class.

"Does she deserve to be out here or does somebody who's put in time and effort more deserve that? ... I'd like to see her play more events her age, girls her age, and not only win but whip them by a lot," DiMarco said. "That's what breeds confidence and that's what Tiger (Woods) did and that's why Tiger is so good."

Wie got off to an encouraging start with three consecutive pars after starting at No. 10. Her round began getting away when she missed a short par putt on the par-4 13th, beginning a stretch of three consecutive bogeys.

She never had a chance after that, despite being repeatedly encouraged by a large gallery that chanted her name on No. 17 and appeared to include nearly every spectator on the course. It was her first PGA tour event since she became ill and pulled out of the second round of the John Deere Classic in July.

Her best chance for the birdie she never got was on the par-4 No. 4, but she missed a 6-footer.

"I felt like from tee to green I played very well. My short game and putting let me down a couple of times - every time," Wie said. "It doesn't feel like I played 5-over because I hit the ball really good."

However, that's good by a 16-year-old's standards and not those of the male pros she is competing against this weekend. Some of the men are unhappy she is taking away a spot that might be used by a golfer trying to keep his tour card for next year.

"I want to make cuts because it's an achievement and a goal of mine. I'm not here to justify anything," said Wie, who is playing with a sponsor's exemption. "I don't really feel any extra pressure just because I'm a girl out here."

My guess is she shoots 75. You heard it here first.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
She's already 5 over after five and tied for dead last again. I think she'd take that 75 right now if she could have it.

ProjectX

They said it'd get better
Sep 1, 2004
As of right now, she's 5 over through 5. Right on track to shoot 90.

This is just stupid.

flight99

Aug 14, 2006
You guys don't get it! She gets the best seat in the house! Maybe we should get a job with Nike! I guess this is her Pro-am.

ProjectX

They said it'd get better
Sep 1, 2004
6 over through 6.

I say she closes out dead last after an 84 today.

That would be fitting.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Why would her "advisers" do this to her? They're going to totally destroy her confidence. She could compete on the LPGA. have her play there. I don't think even Anika has ever made the cut at a men's tourney.

Anyway, I feel sorry for Michelle having raised four teenaged daughters.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Why would her "advisers" do this to her? They're going to totally destroy her confidence. She could compete on the LPGA. have her play there. I don't think even Anika has ever made the cut at a men's tourney.

Annika tried once, realized she didn't belong and went back to the LPGA.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Any, I feel sorry for Michelle.

So do I. She's feeding the fish the answers they wanna hear in the media, but she's being coached by some real idiots.

What a talent. She should look to break every record on the LPGA and then start looking to the PGA. Groundbreaking for her to do this? Ya, groundbreaking that she's the first woman to have her ass handed to her over and over in a league she's not even close to competing in.

Where's the dead horse/broken record emoticon, Sling?

R35

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Why would her "advisers" do this to her?

Because this way, even if she crashes and burns or never reaches the potential she obviously has, they make *some* money out of her, and don't find themselves several years down the line having plowed money into developing her only to find she doesn't turn out as planned, and so they lose their investment.

Sadly it's an example of a golfer being treated in exactly the same way most music companies treat their 'assets'. I'm sure history will probably look kindly on her when the dust has settled and the hangers-on have disappeared from her side, but right now I find it listen to the lines she trots out with every performance that most ageing hackers would be embarrassed to be using...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Because this way, even if she crashes and burns or never reaches the potential she obviously has, they make *some* money out of her, and don't find themselves several years down the line having plowed money into developing her only to find she doesn't turn out as planned, and so they lose their investment.

BINGO This is Nike we're talking about here. Most brilliant marketing MBA's on the planet. They learned well from Mr. Duval.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Say what you want about her (and I would probably agree) but you got to like anyone who skips school to play golf :)

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Duval was getting laughed at when he was shooting 81. She will be on the cover of most golf magazines.
What has she won? Everyone says she has talent and all but she can't win on the lpga and everyone seems to think she can compete with the men.
At least annaka was respectable.
When she wins something I will give her credit, they were makeing a big deal out of her birdie!
1 birdie and you finish last at 14 over is pathetic.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Say what you want about her (and I would probably agree) but you got to like anyone who skips school to play golf :)

I hate it, it's like school is secondary to her. As much as I want to try and make the investment and pursue a future in golf, it comes after school.

That way if I get in a car accident a day after I win a tournament and break both my legs, at least I still have a future and I'm not ruined. Or if I bomb out, or if anything happens, I have something. Heaven forbid something happen to her and she not get to miss men's tournaments every week anymore.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I hate it, it's like school is secondary to her. As much as I want to try and make the investment and pursue a future in golf, it comes after school.

Of course school is secondary. She's got well over 10 Mil coming from Nike. She cashes big checks every time she plays against the women. She never needs to work a day in her life.

I think after finishing dead last in the past two events, and pulling out from heat exhaustion of all things (she's from Hawaii) in another tournament she was going to finish dead last in, it's time to pull the plug on the dog and pony show.

I think it's time for Michelle to stick it to Bivens and apply for full exemption on the LPGA. Bivens will HAVE to give it to her, despite her age. Just think of all the negative pub Nike would bring down if they denied her. I think Wie needs some positive pub and making the LPGA make a decision about her now would make Wie look like the good gal in the situation.

Of course, the LPGA should just let her play. Look at her track record. And I think the LPGA would let her play.

So I really do think it's her handlers that are making her do this. She's barely breaking 80, if that. She's averaging 260??? off the tee? Something tells me Michelle isn't really into this anymore.

She can't play High School golf. She won't be able to play college. And she can't compete against the men on any level, except for maybe a club championship here or there :) . She's not eligible for any male or female amatuer USGA events.

This leaves one place to play. The LPGA.

You'd think her handlers would realize they will make MORE money once they create a legit rivalry between Wie and Sorenstam. Tiger never got to play against Jack anywhere near his prime. Wie (the supposed Tiger role) will be able to play against the best ever, Sorenstam, while she's in her prime or just past it. THAT rivalry will create the interest in women's golf and ad dollars will follow. I know I'll give a shit and watch.

I'm also sure Annika can't wait until Wie is fully exempt. I'm sure all the gals are hoping tournament purses go up like they did on the PGA when Tiger took over. With Wie only playing 7 events a year, that's not going to happen.

I am a Wie fan 100%. Yet, even I think enough is enough. Her last few showings at men's events have shown that it is totally irrelevant whether she's in the field or not. It's not news. She can't compete. Yes, let her play her course in Hawaii against the men. She KNOWS that course and will almost always compete because of it. Anywhere else though, and it's just another missed cut.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Of course school is secondary. She's got well over 10 Mil coming from Nike. She cashes big checks every time she plays against the women. She never needs to work a day in her life.

I think after finishing dead last in the past two events, and pulling out from heat exhaustion of all things (she's from Hawaii) in another tournament she was going to finish dead last in, it's time to pull the plug on the dog and pony show.

I think it's time for Michelle to stick it to Bivens and apply for full exemption on the LPGA. Bivens will HAVE to give it to her, despite her age. Just think of all the negative pub Nike would bring down if they denied her. I think Wie needs some positive pub and making the LPGA make a decision about her now would make Wie look like the good gal in the situation.

Of course, the LPGA should just let her play. Look at her track record. And I think the LPGA would let her play.

So I really do think it's her handlers that are making her do this. She's barely breaking 80, if that. She's averaging 260??? off the tee? Something tells me Michelle isn't really into this anymore.

She can't play High School golf. She won't be able to play college. And she can't compete against the men on any level, except for maybe a club championship here or there :) . She's not eligible for any male or female amatuer USGA events.

This leaves one place to play. The LPGA.

You'd think her handlers would realize they will make MORE money once they create a legit rivalry between Wie and Sorenstam. Tiger never got to play against Jack anywhere near his prime. Wie (the supposed Tiger role) will be able to play against the best ever, Sorenstam, while she's in her prime or just past it. THAT rivalry will create the interest in women's golf and ad dollars will follow. I know I'll give a shit and watch.

I'm also sure Annika can't wait until Wie is fully exempt. I'm sure all the gals are hoping tournament purses go up like they did on the PGA when Tiger took over. With Wie only playing 7 events a year, that's not going to happen.

I am a Wie fan 100%. Yet, even I think enough is enough. Her last few showings at men's events have shown that it is totally irrelevant whether she's in the field or not. It's not news. She can't compete. Yes, let her play her course in Hawaii against the men. She KNOWS that course and will almost always compete because of it. Anywhere else though, and it's just another missed cut.

But Tiger, who is Wie's far far far far far superior, even went to Stanford and played. Shoot he played a tournament at my home course once. Also, don't forget she is 16, I may be old fashioned but school should still be more important. If she is pulling all A in difficult classes(not Basic Math, but at her age, Calculus and Trig), then I'll keep my mouth shut. Oh, and if she is as good as everyone predicts, then she would make millions anyway. Why not wait one or two more years, finish high school, and set a good prescedent to all the other kids out there?

As far as competitive play between her and Annika? I have yet to see one bit of evidence that anytime soon she will be Annika's rival.

(P.S. 700th Post)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.