• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Will Tiger win the 2008 Grand Slam?

Will Tiger win all the majors in 2008

• It's a slam dunk certainty!

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Hell no, no mortal could achieve that feat!

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Who's Tiger Woods?

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
He is having an incredible run of form right now, no doubt. But the key word is form. How long can he keep his current run going?

We saw similar runs of form from Vijay, Norman, Duval, Faldo etc. (although nothing like as hot) and we all know every run of form finally comes to an end. One could argue that Tiger has not even hit form yet!!!

There are so many contributing factors into him achieving a Grand Slam, including technique, fitness, weather (tee times), courses, emotions (family / personal) and of course did I mention luck? I am not saying that Tiger is lucky, but I think to win all four majors will require some element of luck. The stars have to align for each major. Four majors is a constellation!

I would love to see Tiger do it, so I can tell my grandchildren that I was one of the doubters. I don't think anyone else has ever had as good a shot at it right now. But I just don't see it. I see him winning maybe 2 majors this year, the Masters and one other, perhaps the US Open, but all four? It would be huge!

Oh he will break all the records ever set, including the Nicklaus one, but I think it asking a bit much even of Tiger to win them all in one year.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I don't think he will win all 4 Major's as he would have to have an untold level of luck. I was at the Open at Muirfield a few years ago and Tiger got caught up in the middle of a huge Storm, the wind was blowing the rain in sideways. He shot around 80 and said it was one of the best rounds he had ever played. The Book makers have him at 14/1 to do it which is a true mark of respect for the man and his powers but I don't think he will do it. He may win 3 of them but I can't see him getting all four. A 59 may be on the horizon very soon with the form he's in right now.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I voted yes, but in reality my feeling is if anybody can do it he can, and this may be his best chance. He is swinging better than ever and I could see him winning the Masters and US Open. As for the British, maybe. The PGA, I dont know enough about Oak Hill and its layout... so again maybe.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm not as confident as the poll statement but I think this is his best chance. The course being played for the US Open, Torrey Pines, is the best course setup for his game that will ever be a US Open venue. The competition is in an overall transition right now. Guys like Els, Mickelson, DiMarco, Weir, Goosen, VJ, Furyk, are all aging and entering the twilight of thier best years. The competition entering thier prime, Sergio, Adam Scott... who else? My point, there is not much aside from some great players who have a history of getting their cage rattled under pressure. The young guns are coming, Villegas, Day, McIlroy ect. but none are ready yet to compete on the Major stage.

If it's to be accomplished, this is the year. We'll see come Augusta. I'll predict that Tiger will break the course record in the 2nd or 3rd round.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I voted "slam dunk", even though I dont think its anywhere near a slam dunk. I do believe he will do it, so it was the closest choice.

If anyone (Tiger) is ever going to do it, then this is the year for it. The venues just suit his game to a tee. Course he likes and has dominated on, add in the fact that he looks like a well oiled machine and its hard to bet against him. I hear a lot of phrases being throw around like "in the zone", "on a roll" etc. I dont agree with them at all. This imo isnt a zone or a roll, its just how good this man has become. I dont think it will go away for about the next 10 years. So technically its a zone, just a really, really big one.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Majors are never straight forward.

The Majors always seem to have a spanner in the works, who expected Zack Johnson, a short hitter to win around the stretched out Augusta track last season (I bet a few will fancy him for it this year). And Angel Cabrera had become a journey man of the Tour until his famous victory at the US Open last year, from nowhere. Our very own Dave Ireland had finally given up backing Harrington for the Majors last season & without that added presure on his shoulders Paddy went out and won the Open!!! Harrington has the game and battling quality's that are needed to go head to head with Tiger. Then there's Justin Rose who to me looks like the 2nd best golfer on the planet, if he can stay fit I can see him being a Major Champion. Sergio if he can get his flatstick going is awesome from Tee to green & Lee Westwood is returning to the form that saw him become a top 5 in the world player earlier in his careea. Plus lets not forget about Butch Hamons students. Phil Mickleson can never be written off (Especially at the Masters) plus can't wait to see the new improved JD (tongue in cheek) he's one of a handful of players to have won 2 majors by there mid twenties & nobody fancied him for either.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I voted "slam dunk", even though I dont think its anywhere near a slam dunk. I do believe he will do it, so it was the closest choice.

He either wins all four or he doesn't. It is a slam dunk or a miss. Winning 3 and coming 2nd in the forth means he didn't win it. Close doesn't count!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I voted no..just too much other talent out there. Look at last year...

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I voted no, even as great as he is playing now, I just don't see it happening, not even from Tiger. He showed he is mortal and capable of bad shots. If he falls apart like that in a Major, even if only for a couple of holes, he won't be able to make it back up with all the best competing against him.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I voted no..just too much other talent out there. Look at last year...

You mean the year that in the first 2 majors, had Tiger putted at least avg he would have won but ended with a 2nd place, cant remember where he finished in the British, I think it was a 7th place. What did he do at the PGA? Oh right he won by hitting 2 iron off every tee...

And now Tiger comes out this year and says hes better than ever? Thats just a scary thought....

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I voted slam dunk, but i dont quite think of it to that extent.

I think it'll happen, but he's guna battle it out for them, he will not slam dunk the 4 and kill everyone, i bet at least 2 of them will be either by 1 shot or maybe even a playoff. but i do think he'll win all 4.

Tiger showed great resilience at Dubai after playing a basically "human" round on saturday, and coming back to win it. With the drive he has, and the courses that are setup this year, I just think we all know, and that HE knows, this is his best shot at pulling it off, one at a time.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I voted slam dunk, but i dont quite think of it to that extent.

I think it'll happen, but he's guna battle it out for them, he will not slam dunk the 4 and kill everyone, i bet at least 2 of them will be either by 1 shot or maybe even a playoff. but i do think he'll win all 4.

Tiger showed great resilience at Dubai after playing a basically "human" round on saturday, and coming back to win it. With the drive he has, and the courses that are setup this year, I just think we all know, and that HE knows, this is his best shot at pulling it off, one at a time.

This is pretty much my stance as of right now. The thing that I keep coming back to is that if Tiger plays his game, to his highest or even almost highest level, nobody can touch him. Nobody, Mickelson, Singh, Els and certainly none of the younger guys like Scott and Garcia. That leaves us with the Unknown "Fleck" factor. Will some unknow come out of the woodwork to beat him or give him a run...see Bob May.

Everybody, including myself wants a challenger for Tiger and there just isn't one except maybe Mickelson every now and then.

Of course all this is fine well and good, but Tiger still has to hit the shots and make the putts...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.