• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wilson Iwound ball

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Anyone have any experience with this. All the better players around me are playing it. It's discontinued and is $9.95 a doz.

Looking at the history, Wilson made it to compete with the Titleist Pro V1 and came up with a unique manufacturing method using a different technique and material for winding. The problem was they tried to sell it for the high price and didn't have the "ball making" reputation so no one bought them.

Guys tell me it backs up on the greens better then the Pro V!! They also say it drives real good. One of them gave me one to try this weekend.

Just wondered if any of you had experience with this or if this is just someone's wet dream.

An old promo news article said:

Wilson execs are calling the iWound ball, which stands for injection wound, the "reinvention of wound."

The ball, with a large solid polybutadiene (rubber) center, features a solid lattice structure made from a substance called Hytrel wrapped around the inner core. The single outer cover is a soft ionomer.

The lattice structure is meant to replace the rubber band threads that have enhanced the spin and feel in a traditional wound ball for years. Overall, the iWound is designed to provide the spin and feel of a wound ball along with the distance of a solid ball.

"The iWound ball is a result of three years of research, design, engineering and testing," said Reese. "Our engineers have created a whole new golf ball category, called 'solid wound.' This provides golfers the ultimate golf ball for spin and distance."

One other unique element for the iWound has the balls packed in a cube box, with four three-ball sleeves standing upright; there's also a lattice window highlighting the inner structure.

Suggested retail price for the iWound is $34.99 per dozen, which is about mid-range for golf balls.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I played the Wilson Smart Core for 3 years. Which is the ball the iWound replaced. On numerous occasions I tried out the iWound, and even when I switched balls.

My opinion, if you want a ball for that price, I would opt for the Smart Core over the iWound, which can still be found for 2 Dozen at $19.99. They to were made to compete with the top balls and sold for $45 a dozen at one time. Even the Pro Distance Smart Core had better feel around the greens, obviously longer, and more stopping power on the greens. I Played the Pro Distance side to side with the iWound and would pick the Smart Core any day over the iWound. Smart Core come in other options than just Pro Distance, although the Distance ball was even better than alot of balls at that price range a couple years ago. I am now hooked on Maxfli golf balls for I am an budget ball buyer and they offer me the best performance for the little money I spend, they replace the styles regularly and sell the year old models for $10-15. They all seem to have similar feel, so I can switch each year without noticing a big difference in feel.

My opinion is your money could be better spent elsewhere, even on the Smart Core, which may be a year older, but a much better ball. Personally I notice a big difference in the feel, and prefer the spin of last years 2 and 3 piece balls that can be found in the same stores for a couple dollars more. I would assume Dicks is where you saw these, as did I. I thought about picking some up for water balls and decided that I didn't have enough confidence in the ball and they would probably never reach their intended destination, unless I thought the water to be the real destination.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Before my switch to HX Blues, I played Smart Core Distance exclusively. They were super long off the tee and bit well on the greens. And cheap like cheap too.

I've never even heard of the I Wound. $10 a doz? How can you go wrong?

R35

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
As long as I can get Titleist NXTs and DTs on ebay for $35 for 100 (slightly used) I can't see buying any more new balls, even cheap ones.

trob

Apr 2, 2006
I have a dozen sitting here..There were 2 dozen for 20 bucks and honestly they are the worst golf ball I ever played. I think I would actually rather play Top flites.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Rockford,

How do you like the HX blue? Have you tried the red? I'm using the HX Hot right now (LONG) but have been wondering about the slightly better HX series.

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
I was given a couple of sleeves of I Wounds by the Wilson Rep one day when I was at the local golf store
They were STONES! Came off the irons like rocks and same off the putter
No wonder they are discontinued and on sale!

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
That's all I needed to hear. I hate anything resembling a stone (Top Flight)!

I can't afford new Titleist Pro V1's but I sure can afford something around $25 a doz. Bargains that cost strokes are not bargains.

Right now my ball is a Callaway HX Hot.

🔥 Latest posts