• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wilson Staff Irons...

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Hello mates!
As always, wanting to get some help from you guys.
My brother-in-law has his eyes put in some Wilson Staff Irons. He was going to go directly for some Ci7s since they have a very classy look, thin top-line, etc. He is very into old-nice looking classic irons. The guy at the Pro-Shop told us the D9s are coming soon and that he can pre-order them (yes, we get things A LOT later than you guys do) if he wishes to do so. None of us both has seen them, but they look quite interesting in pics (although a "little" bulky for MY TASTE). I'm going to help him pay for his irons (its his birthday;)), but I wanted to know if the extra cost of the D9 was worth it.

Has anybody played the Ci7s? How do they play?

I know some of you guys play the D9s here and love them so I want to ask you if they really are too bulky, if they look nice and thin at address and how do they play (similar sets)?

I can't get a lot of used here or demo things since the market is very restricted. I can get ANYTHING Edwin Watts sells though since they have a dealer here.

Any other not so expensive iron set for a high handicapper not too long hitter I should be aware of?

Thanks mates

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The Edwin Watts here in the States have the Srixon i701's for $399.99, and if you a LoyalTee member $299,99. I love my i506's, and almost upgraded to the i701's myself. I'd take a look at those.

Srixon Clubs - Hybrids

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I gotta be honest.

No set of irons released a year after another is going to be a huge improvement if they're in the same class. Irons can only progress so much...and as such, since the Cavity back age begun, there's just not that big of a leap.

If he likes them enough, and will get enough out of them to justify the difference, then get them. But if you were to tape both of them up so that he couldn't tell which was which, and didn't know what he was hitting, I highly doubt he'd be able to know a difference when hitting them. i'd actually advocate doing that. that way he knows for sure thats the one he hits most solidly

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The Di9's are a little bulkier. Wider sole and thicker top line. Don't get me wrong, they're no big berthas or anything, but bulkier than the Pi or Ci series. I have the Di5's and the 9's are bulkier than mine.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
way off. 42.5° ......:p

and i thought my TM Burner Plus's were strong.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Bloody hell!!!

Here I am with my 49° PW.... 42.5°??? Thats near enough to my 8 iron. Ridiculous!!!

Well, you just have to hit the next club in the bag. The set comes 5-PW-AW-GW which would mean 3-GW and its exactly the same thing...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
At least they have the sense to not bother with a 3i and 4i, given their decisions on loft... how absolutely ridiculous. He'll need 6-7 "wedges"!

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
At least they have the sense to not bother with a 3i and 4i, given their decisions on loft... how absolutely ridiculous. He'll need 6-7 "wedges"!

My Nickents are the same way - the 5i is 22°. My 3i in the other two sets are 21°. But the set starts with 5i and has a 10i (yes, 44° 10i between the 40° 9i and 48° PW) and 4° loft spacing to even things out. It makes the club numbers irrelevant when comparing to other sets, but who really cares as long as you know what distance you hit each club. The irritating thing about the Nickents is they were advertising them as "the longest clubs in the history of golf." Well no shit you have the longest 5i distance if your 5i is the same as everyone else's 3i.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
My Di5's are closer to regular lofts in the long Irons and get strong with the short ones.

2-18*
3-20*
4-23*
5-26*
6-29*
7-32*
8-36*
9-40*
pw-44*
gw-50*

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
The Wilson rep was at our course this summer on "demo day" and I hit the D9's with the graphite (V2) shafts. I loved them............as easy to hit as my G10's but longer.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I was actually a really big fan of the Di7's. So solid. Had a brief stint with a set of Pi5's like Paddy. Which were very nice, but just didn't fit me that well.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
These look better than alot of the new irons:
Wilson irons2.jpg

🔥 Latest posts