• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wilson Staff

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
I am very new to golf but am getting hooked fast! I recently picked up some Wilson Staff Di9 irons off the Bay! I have heard alot of good things about them! I havent tried alot of other stuff but these seem like winners to me! Anyone else play them or like or dislike them?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I don't play Di9s but play Ci7s. I think Wilson Staff is by far the most under-rated golf company in the world. They make excellent equipment. You'll love your HS FYbrid as well.

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
I just got the HS FYbrid today it feels and looks great cant wait to hit it! I think it will work out well for a long iron replacement! I liked the quality,looks of the Di9s so much I had to try the FYbrid and Tw9 wedge also! They all seem very nice to me for the $!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
GD, they're quality game improvement clubs. You'll find that they have strong lofts. The pitching wedge is liable to be around 45 degrees which is a lot stronger than the standard 47 degrees. What this means is that there will be a big gap between the PW and your sand wedge. You'll probably need a gap wedge to fill the distance gap between PW & SW.

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
Thats good cause my game is in need of "Improvement" lol! The set has PW,AW, and GW it is 49.5 deg? Once I get a little better I may drop the GW for a 52 deg Tw9!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Sounds like you are off to a good start. You have a quality set of clubs and are enthusiastic.

The best way to improve is to concentrate most of your practice on your short game and putting. Leave the driver in the bag as much as possible. Maybe pull it out on the long par 5's, or wide open holes where you can't get in much trouble with an errant drive. Tee off with your 3 wood or fybrid if thats an option.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Sounds like you are off to a good start. You have a quality set of clubs and are enthusiastic.

The best way to improve is to concentrate most of your practice on your short game and putting. Leave the driver in the bag as much as possible. Maybe pull it out on the long par 5's, or wide open holes where you can't get in much trouble with an errant drive. Tee off with your 3 wood or fybrid if thats an option.

I disagree. While you're learning you should probably just learn to hit driver too. You will hit some SHITTY shots with it. It WILL ruin some scores for you, but it IS one part of the game and at some point you need to learn to hit it. No time like the present imho. I do mean on the course as well as the range because there is a difference. You need the scenery and natural shape of the course and the pressure of knowing you're shooting for a score to really know how well you're hitting the driver (or any club for that matter). I just think there shouldn't be a fear of a club. Incorporate it into your game now.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I do believe the driver is to stay in the bag at the beginning. It is true you shouldn't fear any club, but sometimes you do spend so much time with the driver since you can't hit it properly than you forget the rest of your game. Driver is one shot per hole. Irons probably around 3 when you start. I agree you should focus on your irons and short game, tee up with a 3W and leave the driver for maybe a month or two from now. When I first started playing I just wanted to bomb the driver away. Obviously, I was the king of hooks, and couldn't hit one straight to save my life. I decided to put it in the bag and never again to bring it back. After my game/swing improved, I came back to the driver, and magically, the swing was just there and drivers started working the way they should have...

so, its +1 for me on leaving the driver in the bag....

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
Believe it or not I have hit my driver pretty good so far! At first I had a bad slice every time I hit it! Then I picked up a TM r5 dual draw 10.5 driver it helped some! I watched some golf channel and started keeping my arms on more of a inside path. Last round I only sliced one out of play! I actually hit a draw for the first time also! Much better than before at least. I still slice my fairways though.....

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Had some Di9's, liked them, but not enough to keep. Have a new set of Ci9's on the way.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Had some Di9's, liked them, but not enough to keep. Have a new set of Ci9's on the way.

I bet ya like em. I like em. Only thing is they come with fst stepless stiff shaft that imo plays a little less than stiff. Not too soft, but if I coulda got em with an s300 or project x 5.5 I woulda. I wrote a review on them and never got around to posting pics cause i'm lazy. Let us know what ya think. I'm curious to see what someone besides myself has to say about these.

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
played 36 holes with the Di9s this weekend! I loved them hit some high arking shots for the first time ever! For a hacker like myself they are all I need! As for the the Wilson FYbrid...I cant hit it yet! I cant get it of the ground for some reason??? I am not going to give up on it quite yet, but I may drop it and go to another wedge soon!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
played 36 holes with the Di9s this weekend! I loved them hit some high arking shots for the first time ever! For a hacker like myself they are all I need! As for the the Wilson FYbrid...I cant hit it yet! I cant get it of the ground for some reason??? I am not going to give up on it quite yet, but I may drop it and go to another wedge soon!

The FYbrid Bridge has been the easiest club to hit for me in my entire golf life. Just give it some time. It well deserves a spot in your bag

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
I bet ya like em. I like em. Only thing is they come with fst stepless stiff shaft that imo plays a little less than stiff. Not too soft, but if I coulda got em with an s300 or project x 5.5 I woulda. I wrote a review on them and never got around to posting pics cause i'm lazy. Let us know what ya think. I'm curious to see what someone besides myself has to say about these.

I remember when I got the Di9's I thought the strong lofts wouldn't bother me, but it did. Gonna see if I'm a little more mentally prepared this time 'round. Post them pics!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I remember when I got the Di9's I thought the strong lofts wouldn't bother me, but it did. Gonna see if I'm a little more mentally prepared this time 'round. Post them pics!

The lofts on the Ci9's are not as strong as on the Di9's. I have 4-gw and basically it's a traditional 3-pw. Possibly later tonight for pics. Have to put a new furnace in after work so we'll see.

🔥 Latest posts