• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wind question?????

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I just got home from practicing. On our most difficult hole a long par 4 I encountered a wind that I could not for the life of me figure out.

The hole was playing with a 15mph wind that was right to left but coming from behind at about a 45* angle. I hit two tee shots both of which died in the air but were in the fairway.

The approach shot was 180 to the front of the green and 190 to the pin with the small, narrow green elevated about 15 feet above the fairway. (Its a difficult green to stick from 150.)

From there I hit 6 different shots and none of them found the green. Here are the shots I tried.

1. High cut with a 5-iron thinking it would ride the wind......it died in the wind and came up 5 yards short.
2. and 3. Low 5 iron into the slope to try and run it up to the green. Both balls landed exactly where I wanted but could not roll up the slope to the green.
4. High cut with a 4 iron trying to ride the wind. Shot went long and found trouble.
5. High 4 iron again that came in with the wind hit the green hole high and went off the back leaving a next to impossible up and down.
6 Lower draw with a 4 iron aiming well right and coming back to the hole. Hit this shot about perfect but the ball hit the green and kept right on going leaving another virtually impossible up and down.

I managed to par 2 out of the 6 balls I hit from the fairway. Any idea how best to play this particular wind??? Should I just forget going for this green in this situation???

Again its a right to left wind coming from behind needing to carry 180 to avoid the bunker if you are going to challenge the pin.

Here is the layout of the shot. The red dot is where I hit from. Purple dot is the pin position and the blue dots are the resulting shots. Arrow for the wind. The picture doesn't show how elevated the green is.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v456_mako224_2ndhole.jpg

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I would take a 4 and hit a low cut to keep under the wind as much as possible.

Like your 2nd and 3rd shots. Did you hit them a little higher than you wanted, preventing the shots from releasing?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Hoist a 5i into the right bunker. Let the wind take it. That's all I got.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I should also mention that when this course was originally built this hole was a par five. The layout of the elevated green and bunkers was intended to be played with wedge and short iron approach shots. The layout of this green makes long iron approaches almost impossible to get on the putting surface. I wish it were lengthened to a par 5. Playing it from the tips or a little further back as a reachable par 5 would be awesome.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I would take a 4 and hit a low cut to keep under the wind as much as possible.

Like your 2nd and 3rd shots. Did you hit them a little higher than you wanted, preventing the shots from releasing?

They were low but only rolled about half way up the slope. That slope is pretty steep.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Didn't realize it was super steep. In that case, I would hit a high 5 at the right bunker and let the wind carry it over.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
This picture gives you a little better view of the green and the slope coming up from the fairway. The narrow slot between the bunkers is pitched about 45*. The left bunker puts the putting surface about 2 feet above your head when you are standing in it. The right bunker puts the putting surface at about eye level when you are in it.

Par is a good score on this hole any day. My usual tee shot leaves me just short of the center fairway bunke with 135 to 150 in to the center.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v456_mako224_2nd2.jpg

johnny

Dec 22, 2008
I Should I just forget going for this green in this situation???

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v456_mako224_2ndhole.jpg

i dont understand the statement "not go for the green?". what's the alternative? where would you be better off than one of the shots you made? regardless, i think the low 5 iron run up with a draw to get it to run up the hill better is the shot. btw, way cool idea of showing the "google earth" viewto explain the situation. i love it.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
That is from www.maps.live.com

Its better than google earth. You can zoom in even closer and you can also get 4 different angles of any point on the map. I have made an awesome yardage book of my home course using images I pulled off that website.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
i dont understand the statement "not go for the green?". what's the alternative? where would you be better off than one of the shots you made? regardless, i think the low 5 iron run up with a draw to get it to run up the hill better is the shot. btw, way cool idea of showing the "google earth" viewto explain the situation. i love it.

What is missing is that all three shots that went long are in alot worse shape than they appear. If you are long you are dead on this hole. Behind the green slopes down and you are chipping/pitching back to a green that is sloping away from you. Our greens are kept at tournament speed and you will roll off the green 9 times out of 10 from over the back.

The safe shot almost seems to lay up to between the bunkers.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
The safe shot almost seems to lay up to between the bunkers.

coupled with

Par is a good score on this hole any day.

Tells me that you've probably already figured this out. Some holes just aren't going to birdied very often, and the risk in trying for the birdie is not worth the punishment for being just a little off. So, lay up, and chip/pitch it close enough for a 1 putt and be happy with a par.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Well if a "2 & 3" style low 5-iron almost got there but wouldn't roll up, wouldn't you naturally try even lower shots with either a 3 or 4 iron? With the ball coming in low and hot, I'm thinking about one bounce on the slope in front and with the speed of your greens, it'd hop up and release. Even if not, it sounds like the smart play is coming in on the ground between the bunkers. Worst case, you are short and on the apron, with an uphill pitch... not in the deep bunkers or dead behind the green.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Did you try hooking it left onto that homeowner's patio? You'll have a great angle into the green from there.

I'll give it a try.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If it was me and the course is maintained like you say, I'd aim for that left front greenside bunker, open the club face wide open and try to snuggle it up close to the pin for a par putt.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
BTW, how did that wind kill your drive? If it was blowing that way it should've added 10yds.. I'd probably be capable of hitting a 3W draw 270 with that wind. Unless you played a big cut, I bet that wind was hurting more than you thought.

I think the answer here lies in high mid-long irons to stop the ball... the reason Tiger is like the only guy left playing blades on tour.
icon10.gif

Members online

No members online now.